Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native2UT View Post
I'm getting so frustrated trying to find a rental home. First, the market is so tight that good homes are being snatched up before I can even call on them. To combat that, I'm taking a far more proactive approach and checking listings mulitple times a day to get a jump on them. I just called on a home that is perfect for us and told the listing agent "I want it! Sight unseen. Where do I apply?" She says, "We won't rent sight unseen and I don't know of anyone who will". WTH? So I'm supposed to roll in to town with my kids, dogs and entire house in a moving van AND THEN find a home? I want to scratch somebody's eyes out. This is getting to be too much!

I know we are all perfect strangers on this forum, but do you think it would be out of line to ask someone local to go look in my place just to satisfy an agent's need for it to be seen? Of course, only someone living super close to the address already. What a desperate thing to have to ask of someone, but I'm feeling desperate at this point.
Welcome to Tampa, home of the bone-dry rental market.

There are properties that rent sight unseen, but if at ALL possible, try to get eyes on before moving. Seriously. TRUST ME. Even if you have to eat the cost of a round trip plane ticket. Do it. Your family will thank you. Florida has this weird habit of going from decent place to live, to ghetto dump in a one block span. You really, reeeeeeeally need to see the property for yourself before signing any paperwork down here.

PM me if you want the contact info for my former property manager who *did* rent to me sight unseen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:31 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native2UT View Post
Well, our list of wants vs. needs is obviously changing as we get a clearer glimpse in to the Tampa rental market.

We'd like a 4 bed (or 3 w/ den or bonus space), 2 bath, newer home in a safe neighborhood with a great elementary school and a fenced yard. Sounds like every parent, I'm sure. A 3 car garage would be nice, of course, not required. As would a deeded community with pools, parks, trails etc. The clean freak in me would prefer a home with as much tile/wood as possible instead of carpet. I can steam clean the heck out of a tile home! Now I'm starting to sound picky, but you asked.

I think Lutz is going to be as far east as we can go given my husband's territory is entirely on the west coast. Concord Station in LOL may work as well due to it's proximity to 54 and Suncoast Pkwy. Having said all that, I'm beginning to doubt if this home exists in our price range. While we don't want to go over $2000, if we're forced to for the right area, we will. Our family is worth it.

We are happy to commit to a 1 year lease and if we love the place we'd definitely stay until we can buy our own place again in a couple years.
If you are looking at one of the newer communities, $2000 is going to be at the very low end and would be lucky to get you a 3BR. If you are willing to go with an older, more established area, you would probably be in the range.

What you describe is my current neighborhood, and there is NOTHING going for below $2000/month.

Don't forget that you will probably have to have $4000-$6000 in cash to walk in the door. First month/last month/one month's damage deposit is not unusual. And a one year lease would be mandatory. You can't even find apartments that do six month leases anymore - they are very rare.

RM

Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Don't forget that you will probably have to have $4000-$6000 in cash to walk in the door. First month/last month/one month's damage deposit is not unusual. And a one year lease would be mandatory. You can't even find apartments that do six month leases anymore - they are very rare.

RM
Is that the case? I've only come across one property that asked for all that up front. I laughed in the guy's face and left. Kept an eye on the house through zillow and noticed a few weeks later he dropped the requirement for last month's rent up front because, I'm assuming, everyone else laughed as well.

And this was a REALLY nice, huge townhouse right on the bay in Clearwater.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
When I moved in my place a year and a half ago I paid first months and security deposit (same as first months rent) which is refundable.

I don't know what neighborhood your in but while im in a 3 bedroom, Im also right in citrus park within walking distance to the mall in a pretty decent home and I pay 1200. I cant imagine something in a little less of a prime area even slightly bigger being over 800 more per month.

I have looked in concord station, were looking to buy in the next 6 months or so and we liked it out there accept that there CDD and HOA fees make our price of house budget drop a bit. I cant remember them off hand but it would have been 250+ per month in additional fees on top of mtg and everything else involved.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Is that the case? I've only come across one property that asked for all that up front. I laughed in the guy's face and left. Kept an eye on the house through zillow and noticed a few weeks later he dropped the requirement for last month's rent up front because, I'm assuming, everyone else laughed as well.

And this was a REALLY nice, huge townhouse right on the bay in Clearwater.
I have 3 rental properties. I require first, last and security deposit. I have never had anyone laugh in my face. If they do, that tells me they do not have the money to put up and they are not the type of person I want renting my house anyway because they are likely broke as ****. I also require a credit check and do a background check on them through, ehm, means not at most people's disposal.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I have 3 rental properties. I require first, last and security deposit. I have never had anyone laugh in my face. If they do, that tells me they do not have the money to put up and they are not the type of person I want renting my house anyway because they are likely broke as ****. I also require a credit check and do a background check on them through, ehm, means not at most people's disposal.
Good for you. I can assure you we're not broke and had the money to put down, but in a market where most properties rent for less of an initial deposit, he lost a lot of prospective business because of that obnoxious requirement.

The fact that he was asking so much up front tells me that he DID have shoddy tenants in the past, one or several who decided to skip out on the last month's rent, and he's punishing future prospective tenants because he didn't do his homework.

Every place runs a credit check, unless it's Billy Bob Jones renting out his crap shack. I run them as well on my place in VA.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 PM

188 posts, read 331,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you are looking at one of the newer communities, $2000 is going to be at the very low end and would be lucky to get you a 3BR. If you are willing to go with an older, more established area, you would probably be in the range.

What you describe is my current neighborhood, and there is NOTHING going for below $2000/month.

RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
When I moved in my place a year and a half ago I paid first months and security deposit (same as first months rent) which is refundable.

I don't know what neighborhood your in but while im in a 3 bedroom, Im also right in citrus park within walking distance to the mall in a pretty decent home and I pay 1200. I cant imagine something in a little less of a prime area even slightly bigger being over 800 more per month.

I have looked in concord station, were looking to buy in the next 6 months or so and we liked it out there accept that there CDD and HOA fees make our price of house budget drop a bit. I cant remember them off hand but it would have been 250+ per month in additional fees on top of mtg and everything else involved.
Whew! Morton had me in a panic. I won't give up finding something for under $2k just yet. I expect first month and security up front and am prepared for last month too if required.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 AM

188 posts, read 331,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Great advice. Native2UT, if you want me to go check something out for you, I will. But I won't sign a lease or anything like that but will let you know if I think it is good or not.
I am very cautious about where I live. While I may be that bad word, a Realtor now, last year I was finishing up my 26th year of Active Duty Navy and was the Command Master Chief (head enlisted) for over 800 Sailors at 25 commands.
I don't use that much but I am as honest and ethical as you can be. Wonder why I decided to go into Real Estate??? FLEXIBILITY!!
No wild goose chases though. I don't want to go from Riverview to Clearwater back to USF to see the city. I can see that everyday!
Thanks for the offer! I just sent you a DM.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,460 times
My RE agent shows our rental as we want to make sure the potential tenant will be able to call it home and feel comfortable. We have had soooo many awful tenants, even with background checks. Our current tenant paid first, last and security. She asked if she could spread the last month's rent over the first few months and we agreed.

So, yes, I suppose we fall into the category of "punishing new tenants" but it is common in our particular community to require 1st, last and security. The prospective tenant also pays for the background check and we share the information with them to alert them of their current credit history. This seems to have been helpful to at least one prospective tenant who didn't realize their driver's license was expired!

Agree with others, use a vacation rental and definitely do not rely on pictures. A vacation home is generally equipped with sheets, towels, dishes, etc., so that you live without your things for a period of time. It might also be a nice transition for the kids to get to know the area.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 06-06-2012 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: added about using a vacation rental

Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
I think renters are a bit aggravated with the situation created by reckless homeowners & reckless banks.

It happened to us; we paid 1st, last and security and then the homeowner ran with it, and sent us a note that they are "foreclosing & filing for bankruptcy" and we need to move which means fork over ANOTHER 1st, last & security! Renter lost to reckless "homeowner".

Some of us don't have that kind of disposable income available to loose.

Something to consider (& remember) is that not all renters rent because they can't buy. Some rent because the overall housing cost is cheaper than when owning...not everyone makes 6 figures, or is a 6 figure combined from two incomes. So for those on one income, owning a home can become quite an expense especially if they have kids too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
My RE agent shows our rental as we want to make sure the potential tenant will be able to call it home and feel comfortable. We have had soooo many awful tenants, even with background checks. Our current tenant paid first, last and security. She asked if she could spread the last month's rent over the first few months and we agreed.

So, yes, I suppose we fall into the category of "punishing new tenants" but it is common in our particular community to require 1st, last and security. The prospective tenant also pays for the background check and we share the information with them to alert them of their current credit history. This seems to have been helpful to at least one prospective tenant who didn't realize their driver's license was expired!

Agree with others, use a vacation rental and definitely do not rely on pictures. A vacation home is generally equipped with sheets, towels, dishes, etc., so that you live without your things for a period of time. It might also be a nice transition for the kids to get to know the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay