Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM

17,511 posts, read 39,005,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyaTika View Post
Thanks to y'all for the replies and all the information on this board. It really has been a great help to us. I have another question: where are the older neighborhoods in St. Pete and Sarasota? If anyone is familiar with Colonialtown in Orlando, the old charm of Florida, hanging moss, older homes with more character, etc?

Ut oh, it appears I have another question: What is the bar/restaurant scene like in Sarasota and St. Pete? I know beer bars are a burgeoning scene in FL and we are blessed to live in Decatur, GA which has been called the beer capitol of GA. I'm not much of a beer drinker these days but the fiance is and I'd love a good wine bar. Ya know the deal, independent restaurants and bars, bistros, bakeries, seafood, etc. Good food done well!

Cheers all,
AT
Both St. Pete and Sarasota have good bar/restaurant scenes. Sarasota is an overall smaller city, but it has just as much if not more. A great new wine bar opened called Carmel Cafe - there is just soooo much here. You have downtown, University Parkway area, St. Armand's Circle, Siesta Key and more, all with their own unique vibe and offerings. Sarasota is a real "foodie" town. I love St. Pete, but think the food scene is better in Sarasota. Lots of those bistros, bakeries, seafood, etc. In both St. Pete and Sarasota, the older areas near downtown have the ambiance you describe - in Sarasota, it is Laurel Park and Southside Village, in St. Pete, it is Old NE.

Come on down and check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 PM

8 posts, read 11,201 times
We will definitely be coming down to check everything out. Under more specific searches on Craigslist I am finding many options for great old housing options. Our move won't be for another 2 years or so, I have a program at school to knock out. However, ya never know what could happen in two years!

Now, to decide between Tampa area and Jacksonville now that I have a better feel of what Tampa area is time to delve into the JAX boards.

WOO HOO!!!

AT

Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 AM

420 posts, read 862,611 times
Downtown St. Pete and go to school at USF- ST. Pete.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM

605 posts, read 1,052,385 times
Agree with downtown St Pete. You'll be close to some of the best beaches in the world = St Pete Beach, Pass A Grill, and especially Fort De Soto!

There is a nice older neighborhood north of St Pete. Stay away from south St Pete.

Bunches of nice hangouts and restaurants downtown, too. For beer, I highly recommend The Independent - they have another location in Tampa now. Wonderful beer selection. Also, try Cigar City in Tampa.

I can't comment on Sarasota as I haven't been there for years. St. Armand's Circle is very posh, close to beaches, gorgeous houses around there.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 PM

928 posts, read 2,716,348 times
I live just North of Tampa since 2002, then Pinellas County since 1978.
I work in Orlando during the week, and much perfer Tampa over Orlando.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:22 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,191,854 times
Quote:
Hello, I've recently registered as I'm having trouble with my food forums giving me any direction in our decision of which FL city to move back to? My fiance is from Port Orange and lived all over but it was 15 years ago. I lived in Orlando for some time but that was 10 years ago.

We are both interested in a beach city and both bartenders going back to school. He is interested in opening his own bar and I am returning to school for Radiation Therapy. We're both bartenders currently. He doesn't want to go back to Orlando and I just want to be on the beach but I'm worried about food scenes. We aren't terribly interested in how hip the nightlife is as clubs are no longer our gig. We're more concerned with restaurants and wine and beer bars.

What we want to stay away from: a lot of crime (ATL is rampant with home invasions, robberies, break-ins, etc.), homogeneous chain restaurant food scenes (more Latin food, please!), streets packed with Spring Breakers and club kids.

We're into independent businesses, grilling, gardening, hangin' out on the beach, he's big into outdoor and water sports, etc. I guess everything that we don't want is what we used to know of FL when we lived there. We want to come back for the beach life and the more chill lifestyle.

As for professional lives- He will be seeking out a good automotive school in the interim and I need a radiation therapy career.

Although we should care, the school systems are no matter to us anytime in the near future.

Also, a note to the mods, I have read the Orlando vs. Tampa/St. Pete thread in the Orlando forum. I thought I might come over here with a few different needs and see what y'all had to say.

Cheers guys,
AT

That right there should set your decision in stone. Go where you have not been and explore. The Tampa Bay Area is great.
You should NEVER have to worry about the food scene in Tampa Bay over Orlando. The food scene there is far more interesting than anything in Orlando.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 11,201 times
Tampa it is! Thanks for the responses. See y'all in May!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 AM

19 posts, read 53,311 times
Quote:
Hello, I've recently registered as I'm having trouble with my food forums giving me any direction in our decision of which FL city to move back to? My fiance is from Port Orange and lived all over but it was 15 years ago. I lived in Orlando for some time but that was 10 years ago.

We are both interested in a beach city and both bartenders going back to school. He is interested in opening his own bar and I am returning to school for Radiation Therapy. We're both bartenders currently. He doesn't want to go back to Orlando and I just want to be on the beach but I'm worried about food scenes. We aren't terribly interested in how hip the nightlife is as clubs are no longer our gig. We're more concerned with restaurants and wine and beer bars.

What we want to stay away from: a lot of crime (ATL is rampant with home invasions, robberies, break-ins, etc.), homogeneous chain restaurant food scenes (more Latin food, please!), streets packed with Spring Breakers and club kids.

We're into independent businesses, grilling, gardening, hangin' out on the beach, he's big into outdoor and water sports, etc. I guess everything that we don't want is what we used to know of FL when we lived there. We want to come back for the beach life and the more chill lifestyle.

Forgot...this is near many schools for what you want also....

As for professional lives- He will be seeking out a good automotive school in the interim and I need a radiation therapy career.

Although we should care, the school systems are no matter to us anytime in the near future.

Also, a note to the mods, I have read the Orlando vs. Tampa/St. Pete thread in the Orlando forum. I thought I might come over here with a few different needs and see what y'all had to say.

Cheers guys,
AT
AnyaTika I love the beach side of Florida. I would never live in Orlando. What is the advantage unless you want to spend your weekends going to the parks which are only an hour away from here. We have the great beaches here and the house prices have never been better. We rarely have one freezing night as they do several at least. And they seem to catch the hurricanes. We have the breeze that they don't if you are near the coast. I am in the Tarpon Springs area and people make great money doing restaurant work here. If you drive to Tarpon check out Forest Ridge which is a gated community that right now is selling for far less than it should due to repos, but it won't for long.
If you can't qualify to buy right now and want a fixer upper in Clearwater area ( not Cl. but south a bit---easy commute to EVERYTHING), I actually have one that I just kicked out tenants that could not keep up. I want to do a lease with option to buy and not rent it as such anymore. I want someone very handy who can redo the baths and kitchen while they are living there and when it is done I can hold a mortgage. I need $5,000 minimun down for buying it in about 2-3 years. I will put on a new roof --top of the line with hurricane protection underneath. if you can put down $10,000 I will immediately supply you with materials to do 2 rooms and later another. The home will then be like new and I will hold a mortgage. its a win-win as it counts as down payment, bu you get it fixed up like new at no extra cost.Some one will be interested.

Last edited by Adelle; 02-08-2013 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: Forgot to tell about it being near schools near Cl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay