U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 AM

44 posts, read 61,941 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Wesley Chapel on 7/28 (had a rough go of things this week with an uncooperative seller and that was almost for not, but I digress)

I'm currently a self employed personal trainer and group fitness instructor. This is something I will continue to do part-time.

I am also considering going back to school for nursing. (I've been playing with this for years)

I'm interested in the various schools in the area (particularly for the associate's program, I'd rather do that FIRST then get the bachelor's after I'm working) and also interested in tuition assitance/scholarship programs, etc you are aware of...

FL seems to be a LOT better in that department than here in NH. Financials have basically kept me from doing this since we have always needed my income to live here. Down there my husband will be the primary and whatever I bring in will be the gravy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM

420 posts, read 780,701 times
I always recommend University of Tampa especially for people coming in from out-of-state. They have a good nursing program and their location in downtown Tampa will give you plenty of access to people that work-out. South Tampa has an abundance of gyms (LA fitness is opening up on Dale Mabry- they may be hiring) and plenty of retirees and stay-at-home moms that may lead to your employment.

Downside- the commute from Wesley Chapel. USF may be a better commute. But if you can tolerate the commute and secure employment, driving into Tampa for work and school will be manageable. Again, I recommend you look into UT's nursing program and employment opportunities in S. Tampa. Their tuition will be better than USF's too.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 AM

265 posts, read 889,418 times
Anything other than an RN is a waste of time in the current environment. Most RN's will tell you the job market is very saturated. I'd put some real thought into the job prospects before committing to Nursing School. That said, there are a number of good Nursing programs in and around Tampa. Be sure to see how the programs are accredited. Contact a few local hospital Nurse Recruiting offices and ask which programs they recommend.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:12 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,126,145 times
University of Tampa is EXPENSIVE! USF is a great school, Hillsborough Community College has campuses all over.

Then there are a WHOLE BUNCH OF FOR PROFIT COLLEGES. Which I personally think is a misleading statement as they all seem to be for profit now.

ST Leo's University is North of you about 10-15 miles but you would never have a traffic issue, Kaiser College, Everest College, Rassmussan College, and University of Phoenix just to name a few.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:20 AM

44 posts, read 61,941 times
A two year program still gets you an RN. It's just not a BSN. I'd also not ever be looking to work full-time, so I'm not overly worried about the employment prospects since I'd be looking for just a couple shifts a week or perhaps per diem.

Thanks for the responses I think S. Tampa is too far for me!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirdMom View Post
A two year program still gets you an RN. It's just not a BSN. I'd also not ever be looking to work full-time, so I'm not overly worried about the employment prospects since I'd be looking for just a couple shifts a week or perhaps per diem.

Thanks for the responses I think S. Tampa is too far for me!
Then I would recommend USF or St. Leo. I'd avoid the for-profit schools. HCC may get you what you want too.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 AM

265 posts, read 889,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirdMom View Post
A two year program still gets you an RN. It's just not a BSN.
Many organizations are moving toward a minimum BSN. Tampa General Hospital (TGH) among others will not hire RN's without their BSN. Most Magnet Accredited hospitals are moving toward the BSN. Just something to consider, good luck..

Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 AM

188 posts, read 285,996 times
This is something I'd be interested in pursuing after my boys are in school full time too. Here in Utah, I completed all my pre-reqs for a nursing program at the community college and was placed on their waiting list last year. It's a long list, but I didn't mind because I wanted my boys to be older before I started back to school full-time anyhow. Plus, I think there is some truth to the current saturation comment so I haven't pursued other programs without a waiting list (even though my 3.9 gpa would have gotten me in ). That won't be forever though as Boomers start retiring again, vacating their RN jobs.

Anyway, now we're moving to Florida next month so my spot on the list will be forfeited and I'll need to find a new school to complete my nursing degree. I too wanted to get my RN, work part-time (2 shifts/wk max) and eventually get my BSN online. There's been a push in Utah for RNs to have BSNs as well.

I have a couple years to really start focusing on this, but it is in the back of my mind and I'm anxious to learn more from folks who live there and have maybe already taken this path. Good luck to you!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,179 posts, read 4,359,232 times
As others have suggested, HCC is probably one of the best values for the training. While it is only a two year program, it is very rigorous and tough to get in to.

However, the best part about going to HCC, besides saving a boatload of money, is that with an A.A. from any accredited state community college, like HCC, you are guaranteed a transfer into a four year state school.

That means you can do your first two years at HCC, then transfer into a four year program at USF, for example, and not have to worry about the hassle of doing your first two years there.

This is a common approach that a lot of high school kids are doing these days, as it makes good financial sense and helps them avoid having to go through the freshman application process, which is grueling and very, very difficult to get accepted.

While this won't apply to you, for the benefit of any other members who are reading this and from out of state, if you or an immediate family member are an instructional employee of a school district, you are exempted from paying non-resident tuition. That is, say you move to Florida and your spouse gets a teaching job in Hillsborough County. You or one of your children are ready to attend college. You have to live here for a year before you meet the residency requirements for a state school, meaning that your first year, if you enroll upon moving into the state, you'll pay out of state tuition, about 3X the cost of in state tuition.

If you or another immediate family member is a school district employee, you can immediately enroll and only have to pay resident tuition right out of the gate.

This is a very obscure item in state law, and rarely used. Many of the schools aren't even aware of it.

RM

Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM

Go for the BSN: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/ed...pagewanted=all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or