Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:48 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times

Advertisements

Heck with Busch Gardens , go to Adventure Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 02:35 PM

54 posts, read 119,177 times
Thanks for the responses everybody! And definitely still interested in any thoughts others have on the topic.

User8 and Gulfer, anything more specific? I'll definitely check out the SoHo Greenwise.

Bucfan, I bet you're right, but not quite what I'm looking for! (Although I wouldn't be surprised if one stop-by happens)

I'll definitely try just walking SoHo between Morrison and Swann. Good call Tim! Would that be true in the day, too? Or just at night?

Ghostrider, that surprises me that they're more approachable in clubs. Have any favorites where they're most approachable? In DC, it's the opposite. Guarded in the clubs, but friendlier if you chat them up on the streets or in the subway.

That's a really good idea, Karen - one I hadn't thought of. I just turned 30. You LOLed, but I think I could pull off the "cool shoes" hello. Not a good ice breaker in Tampa? What time do you shoe shoppers tend to go shopping and stop to rest with a cocktail? Late afternoon/early evening?

Only one gorgeous woman, eh? I'll have to try to meet her!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
I think you've got it all wrong there. It's impossible to go to a DC bar or club and not catch someone's eye, even if you're shy and mostly keep to yourself. On the metro, the opposite is true. You have to go far out of your way to get anyone to even notice you're alive, even on the rush hour train where you're packed in like sardines.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:33 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
I wouldn't waste my time at Mac Dintons. nothing but low life's. The rest of Soho and Hyde Park are nice though.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 PM

272 posts, read 607,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Publix, Walmart, Target, etc...

Oh maybe Clearwater Beach, YBOR, clubs around USF, etc...
Back in the day the Kash N Karry on Swann (Now Sweet Bay) was voted the number one pick up spot by Creative Loafing, haha.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
report back after the weekend and give a truly honest assessment of what you thought. many professional types that visit from places like DC, NYC, etc are not impressed at all with the women, it seems to be more the 19 yr old spring breaker from iowa or 20yr college kid from central jersey that is blown away by the women here. if u have run thru the scene in a place like DC or NY then no way u would be overly impressed here. anyhow, we shall see, report back if u can. hv fun. thnx

Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
If you want trashy hot visit Sheppards on Clearwater bch or McDintons. The ladies there are young. If you want good looking classy I would try Timpano, which is a couple of blocks over from SOHO. Its really good during happy hour. My gym buddy tells me that Cheap in South Tampa is good as well.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:22 PM

54 posts, read 119,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
report back after the weekend and give a truly honest assessment of what you thought. many professional types that visit from places like DC, NYC, etc are not impressed at all with the women, it seems to be more the 19 yr old spring breaker from iowa or 20yr college kid from central jersey that is blown away by the women here. if u have run thru the scene in a place like DC or NY then no way u would be overly impressed here. anyhow, we shall see, report back if u can. hv fun. thnx
People are *really* friendly in Tampa, much more so than in DC. I made friends with people almost every night when I went out, so I didn't end up talking to *that* many people. One woman invited my friend and I to her house party the next day, but we decided (possibly a foolish choice) that we should check out and observe the city instead. But here are my observations:

The women are noticeably better looking in Tampa than DC, especially if you like blondes. They were also more likely to talk to you for a little while than in DC. In DC, if seen women completely ignore guys who talk to them or say something rude and walk away. The Tampa women seemed to talk for a few minutes and then, if they were rejecting the guy, make a friendly exit saying they had to get a drink or go to the bathroom or something. On the flip side, more women had tattoos and smoked (negatives, IMO).

Interestingly, Tampa guys seemed better looking than DC guys too. I couldn't believe how many were ripped. All of them, actually. But they looked uncomfortable because they weren't in the gym. And their body shapes were hillarious. Huge upper bodies and small legs, seemed like if you pushed them they would topple. Guys were friendly too, although a little odd. Within the first few minutes of talking to one guy, he told me about his successful car dealership, how he just got his nose done, and how he had an amazing date with the most amazing girl he's ever met...who's married.

Girl/guy ratios at bars might have been little better than DC, but not by much. MacDinton's seem to be as sausagey as any DC sausage bar. I expected better from Tampa - makes me wonder if bars have just become sausagey all over the country and that's just the new trend. The beaches seemed to have good ratios and I was actually blown away at how attractive they were. I talked to

It's a different game in Tampa than in DC, though. At the beach bar, these 2 women were sitting next to my friend and me and said aloud something about finding a bar to get laid that night. Then they asked me if I knew what time it was. In DC it's very different, usually tons and tons of nonsexual conversation before anything sexual happens. I didn't even know what to do with that situation at the beach bar. Kind of embarrassing, actually.

So yeah, I'm not positive what to make of my one weekend trial, but I think I'd conclude that the women in Tampa are better looking and friendlier than the women in DC.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:46 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Dating in the DC market suuuuuuuuuuucks. Women are, for the most part, very standoffish and frigid up there in the downtown area. And DC was never known as a very attractive (looks wise) dating market, but there are some beautiful women around the area if you know where to look (hint: old town Alexandria and Clarendon). If you're going from a pure looks/attitude perspective, I would assume that you'd have an easier time meeting people in Tampa.

I've never been a fish in the Tampa dating pool (married) but it seems like the women frequenting the local hotspots are generally more laid back. Some are ridiculously hot, many are trashy though, and that bothers me. If I were single, honestly, I'd yearn for the hot intellectual-type that frequent Alexandria's Irish pubs. They seem to be significantly less bitchy than the self-centered nitwits downtown.

Next time you're in old town on a Fri/Sat, give Chadwick's a shot. I always had... um... pretty good luck there. Go no earlier than 10pm. Gotta wait for the family dinner crowd to thin out. If Megan's tending bar, ask her for a Megroll. They're divine.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:03 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post

Next time you're in old town on a Fri/Sat, give Chadwick's a shot. I always had... um... pretty good luck there. Go no earlier than 10pm. Gotta wait for the family dinner crowd to thin out. If Megan's tending bar, ask her for a Megroll. They're divine.

I thought you were married while you were in Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay