U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM

26 posts, read 170,221 times

Advertisements

As we are trying to figure out where to live on the west coast, I have been researching organic supermarkets since we buy much of our sons' food there. It seems like the only Whole Foods is in Sarasota, but they are opening a Publix Greenwise in Tampa (the first of its kind is opening over by us in palm beach gardens shortly). Does anyone know exactly where? Or, is there any other organic markets I should know about in St. Pete or South Tampa area?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 10:16 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,929,074 times
The Publix Greenwise will open around Platt Street in Hyde Park/SOHO area. Other organic shopes include Nature's Harvest on MacDill Ave , Wild Oats on Dale Mabry near I-275, there is a Natures Market and Whaleys Market in South Tampa, plus most of the SweetBay and Publix grocers have an Organic section in each market now.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:36 AM

60 posts, read 414,510 times
Take note that Whole Foods bought Wild Oats... so most Wild Oats stores will be turning into Whole Foods pretty soon.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 AM

16,245 posts, read 34,800,940 times
These days, Publix offers such a huge selection of organic products (especially the larger, newer stores) it is almost not necessary to go to an overpriced "health store" like Whole Foods.

I hope the Greenwise stores are a success, I would love for them to open one up here in Lakeland. They should, since Lakeland is the HEADQUARTERS for Publix!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 AM

26 posts, read 170,221 times
thanks for the input, esp the info on stores in tampa. my son eats very specific foods (allergies) that are not carried in the organic sections at any of the publix markets i have been to. i also have never seen organic/nitrate free deli meat at any publix. so it sounds extreme, but i really do need to find a place to live that has access to this stuff.

also, where these stores are located are also usually good neighborhoods and a good barometer of an area. in my experience in south florida anyway.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,713,564 times
There are a few wild oats in Tampa. You can check out their website to see if it might meet your needs and see all the locations in the city.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 PM

4,455 posts, read 9,630,837 times
There's only one Wild Oats in the Tampa area, at I-275 and N Dale Mabry Hwy. Whole Foods decided Tampa wasn't upscale enough for one of their stores. I believe the WF executive's comment was, "It's not like Tampa is a Panera town, it's a McDonalds town." Which shows how much he knows about Tampa - we have a Panera on every 4th street corner it seems. Anyway, rant aside, the Wild Oats store is nice and always busy. Some of the larger, newer Publix near more upscale areas do have some nitrate free meats, mainly the Maverick Ranch brand and are usually in with the regular meats, not the organic or Greenwise Section (MR's bacon is awesome). I know the Collier Commons Store and the Erlich Rd/Gunn Hwy stores both have Maverick Ranch products.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:18 PM

16,245 posts, read 34,800,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
There's only one Wild Oats in the Tampa area, at I-275 and N Dale Mabry Hwy. Whole Foods decided Tampa wasn't upscale enough for one of their stores. I believe the WF executive's comment was, "It's not like Tampa is a Panera town, it's a McDonalds town." Which shows how much he knows about Tampa - we have a Panera on every 4th street corner it seems. Anyway, rant aside, the Wild Oats store is nice and always busy. Some of the larger, newer Publix near more upscale areas do have some nitrate free meats, mainly the Maverick Ranch brand and are usually in with the regular meats, not the organic or Greenwise Section (MR's bacon is awesome). I know the Collier Commons Store and the Erlich Rd/Gunn Hwy stores both have Maverick Ranch products.
Actually, even the smaller, older Publix have Mverick Ranch and other natural meats - I used to have to shop at the small store in Zephyrhills and they had all those products. They must be in all the stores now. Publix is awesome. As for Whole Foods - I say "pfffft" - snobby and overrated, IMO.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 PM

4,455 posts, read 9,630,837 times
I agree, gypsychic. I was not happy to hear that they were trying to buy out Wild Oats. Haven't kept up with it, I know the FTC was trying to block it (rightly so).

Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 PM

192 posts, read 1,110,515 times
There was a price comparison article in the paper yesterday (sorry, can't recall if it was the Times or Trib) and I was delighted to learn that the prices at Greenwise are the same as they are at the Publix stores......I had just assumed that, since the Greenwise stores are probably targeting the Birkenstock and tofu segment of our population that the prices would be higher - no so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay