U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 AM

693 posts, read 1,010,212 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are moving back to the States and St. Pete is one among two other places (for various reasons) that we are looking at returning to. I will remain with my employer but my wife who is an RN will need to find employment. Her experience is in Labor and Delivery 2 years and Pediatrics 4 years. She has a Bachelors in Nursing from University of North Carolina.

I would really like some neighborhood recommendations that are within 30-45 minutes max commute to Bay Pines area. We have three children, 16,14 and 5 so schools are very important as well as safe neighborhoods with pool and activities. We would like a 4 or 5 bedroom and 3000sqft+. We would like to have walking trails/fitness areas that we can access from our home without car. We prefer newer or new homes. Our budget will allow for a home 350k-450k. Is this possible? If it is, can you recommend either builders or communities?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 AM

420 posts, read 781,739 times
Old NE neighborhood in St. Pete may be what you're looking for but I have no clue about house prices there.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks I will check it out.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM

15,860 posts, read 33,254,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
Old NE neighborhood in St. Pete may be what you're looking for but I have no clue about house prices there.
Old NE is OLD - they want new or newer homes. I don't think they will find what they are looking for there. Sounds like they want a planned community.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM

385 posts, read 993,171 times
I don't know that much about Pinellas county, but in terms of trails think about finding a place that is near the Pinellas trail. It goes for miles.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 AM

So, no neighborhoods come to the forums mind that would fit what I am looking for?

No builders or planned communities in the price range with solid schools in Pinellas County?

Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,200,483 times
The short answer is "No".

St Pete is not sub division world; it is older, and has older communities where you'll find older homes, and around the Big Bayou you'll find older homes next door to HUGE mansions that were build after demolishing the older homes that no longer suffice.

If you want new, newer subdivision type you have to move north towards Palm Harbor...or North East to West Hillsborough Country in Lutz, Odessa, Citrus Park, Westchase...

There is no room to plop down planned communities in St Pete. Pinellas Country is VERY crowded already.

"We have three children, 16,14 and 5 so schools are very important as well as safe neighborhoods with pool and activities. We would like a 4 or 5 bedroom and 3000sqft+. We would like to have walking trails/fitness areas that we can access from our home without car. We prefer newer or new homes. Our budget will allow for a home 350k-450k. Is this possible?" << THAT you'll find in Fishhawk Ranch or Lakewood Ranch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
So, no neighborhoods come to the forums mind that would fit what I am looking for?

No builders or planned communities in the price range with solid schools in Pinellas County?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM

5,132 posts, read 3,803,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post

Like the other posters mentioned that type house in St Pete, would be hard to find, am sure there are some but there isn't an area that's full of them, not at that budget, I dont think schools in that area are that great, so that would be an issue. I think you can look at Bradenton, or Sarasota even, you would reverse commute to St Pete, so it might fit your criteria, commute time wise. Other than that you might want to look at the mls via zillow or realtor.com find the house you want in Pinellas and then post about that specific area on the forum.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 AM

5,132 posts, read 3,803,239 times
I did a quick listingbook search, because i like to procrastinate at work, i got 37 listing in all pinellas south of 60, and 12 were under contract, you could just run those 20 to see the schools and look up their report card, that would narrow down some. 37 listings for houses over 3000sq ft 5 year old or newer with a pool.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies. It doesnt have to be a planned community, we have been overseas for a while and thought a planned community will help in terms of socializing with neighbors, we have no family in Florida and will be there for work reasons.

I think from talking to a few people from the area that Pinellas County is where I would be living, the commutes otherwise are not what I would want to do. I do have a problem buying a 50 year old home, just feel like I am buying something that may be a headache. How do you get access to Listingbook for Pinellas County?

I was told Seminole is an A school. Are there any other schools in Pinellas County that are ranked A (I assume thats the best?).

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay