Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,754 times

Advertisements

Hi, single parent with IT business at home and 3 kids (two teens, one jr high age) who will attend local schools, looking for recommendations?

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working?
A: at-home computer business, do not need to commute and so traffic convenience not a problem

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?
A: buy, lower end

Are schools a concern?
A: absolutely. looking for a fixer-upper or small older home in a good school zone

What is an acceptable commute time?
A: n/a

What else is important to you?
A: am absolutely crime averse!

So basically the crime, quality of schools and affordability of housing (including insurance) are my main concerns.

Thanks for any ideas.

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM

Let me mention I will go further north if need be. Just want to be close enough to relatives to be able to visit frequently! So Dunedin, Ozona, Seminole, Largo, Clearwater, all those towns are ok. Just the general area we are looking in.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Can you give us numbers for your budget and minimum square footage? Palm Harbor is the best school district in Pinellas and it has tons of homes that I would call affordable.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Can you give us numbers for your budget and minimum square footage? Palm Harbor is the best school district in Pinellas and it has tons of homes that I would call affordable.
have not prequalified but I'd say 100K max, would prefer backyard and not manufactured/mobile home because we do like pets. Could go maybe 20-30K over max, but with insurance needed too, that would be a pinch for us. We are quiet people and don't party, do drugs etc. My income is just not high enough or homogeneous enough to be able to reliably pay a high mortgage every month, and we also have to deal with health insurance, so we want to build in a cost buffer. Unfortunately, the higher the value of the house, the safer the neighborhood, as quietly as we do live.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
I think you should prequalify before you go any farther, then at least if you work with a realtor, they will realistically know what you can afford. Its no use looking at homes you cant finance to buy. For that price you are going to need to buy a fixer upper I'd say in the good school districts it could be possible but small - so not sure where the relatives would stay.
Also talk to mortgage company to see if you would qualify for a 95% loan program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay