Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 AM

515 posts, read 1,347,433 times

Advertisements

Obviously the OP's first language isn't English and I didn't see any part in the post where they said a passport was actually presented, only that they were going to go back to the room to get it and the manager told them to get out of the store when they got back. There were probably some language barriers here, and the management obviously thought that the first ID was fake. I see no reason why a valid passport shouldn't be accepted as ID, but then again when it comes to alcohol sales they can do whatever they want. There are stores in parts of the city where I used to work that require United States ID to buy alcohol due to the amount of fake foreign IDs out there, and that's their right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 11:06 AM

306 posts, read 451,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepzoa View Post
I understand and came back to my room to bring my passport, but when the staff called her boss again and her boss said "why you came back here? if you still stay here I will call the police to arrest you" ??????? I feel very confused about that. I try to ask him why and he said only "no" and I said "that mean all of foreigner can not buy beer in the united states?" and he said "not here!!!"
THAT'S the part that screams to me "discrimination", and not the fact that in the beginning they didn't accept the driver license. If the story has indeed multiple sides, let the police investigate all of them...

Talking about passports, they must be written in English too, so I doubt it very much that the manager didn't understand the information in there. Did he actually check it? It's not clear from the OP's post.

Deepzoa, don't get too upset over this incident. For every obtuse person that you will meet in this country, will be dozens of others who are really nice people, and who will treat you with care and respect.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 AM

515 posts, read 1,347,433 times
Denny's doesn't sell alcohol. It's an entirely different ballgame when it comes to the sale of alcohol. One of the reasons that licensed establishments can get in so much trouble for serving and selling to people who are underage is the tremendous amount of leeway that they have in deciding whether or not to sell to someone. If they don't feel that they're trained well enough to identify foreign licenses or passports (and I'm sure that WalMart employees aren't up on the latest in international travel documents) then they don't have to accept them. Period.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
And that is the problem. The most prevalent language a Wal mart manager couldn't understand would be English.
Perhaps but i could probably manage to identify a birthdate on most passports even if i dont speak the language unless it was Chinese.however it must have been obvious to immigration personnel when our visitor entered the country, I think the manager was just trying to be difficult and forgot the mantra of take care of your customers or some one else will...

Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Perhaps but i could probably manage to identify a birthdate on most passports even if i dont speak the language. I think the manager was just trying to be difficult..
I think so too. They weild a fair amount of power, if they tell someone to get out of the store and off the property, and that someone is still there when the cops arrive....likely to end up in cuffs and a Trespassing charge, whether or not subject was right or wrong, it's the cops's call.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:02 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I think so too. They weild a fair amount of power, if they tell someone to get out of the store and off the property, and that someone is still there when the cops arrive....likely to end up in cuffs and a Trespassing charge, whether or not subject was right or wrong, it's the cops's call.
They would get a trespass warning and walked off the premises pretty much everywhere but some of the more podunk jurisdictions unless the patron was being violent or the cop was being a real hardass.

I didnt consider at first the language issue, as the cop pointed out, you may not be able to make out the birth date. But if it was legible, the manager was just being a dick.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM

329 posts, read 774,796 times
go to a different store, forget it and move on

Old 06-30-2012, 03:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy101 View Post
go to a different store, forget it and move on
...if you don't mind people walking all over you......

Old 06-30-2012, 03:38 PM

329 posts, read 774,796 times
BucFan, was thinking of him being a student from a different country, no reason for him to have a problem over a few brews, that being said he did the wise thing.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:48 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,102 times
Do not go to another store! You deal with this manager and demand respect, service and an apology!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay