Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 21,199 times

Advertisements

@maggiekate, we currently live in new tampa. the school issue isn't a factor though as they will remain in the school they are in.

@crazynip, throwing around "lune" etc & your approach to the school issue was rued. I took what you had to say regarding safety/crime seriously as I will anyone who has input regarding this. I think your third world to eastern europe comparison is a little ridiculous but appreciate the thought never the less. Good luck with your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
As a former resident of your prospective area (former Riverside Heights tenant/refugee), I advise you listen to your husband when he questions your sanity and endure the commute you currently have.

Otherwise, enjoy seedy lowlifes, endless streams of civics with fartcan exhausts buzzing by at 3am, bums, thieves, and lots of rundown shacks in your neighborhood. OH and don't forget the ghetto birds (police helicopters)! Lots of them! They're just shining a light down to say hello. Don't worry.

Don't say we didn't warn you.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
Ah, the lovely sounds of gunfire, followed by police sirens, followed by the soothing sounds of the ghetto bird... those were the days.

Since moving to the westchase area, I have heard the ghetto bird exactly twice. Once when some idiot who killed some people in Town and Country ran from the cops and wrecked his car on Linebaugh and then fled on foot, and the other time was when those idiots were stealing gas from the BP station across from the mall, and they parked "the bird" hovering over the gas station at like 5:30am for 2 hours.

Oh, and 4th of july is great in "the heights", because there is a fireworks place at MLK and Nebraska that the local hoods rob constantly and for about a month before and after the 4th of july, it's constant fireworks 24/7

Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 PM

The only sirens I hear up in Citrus Park are from the fire station when they dispatch a truck. No ghetto birds. Oh and no fartcans or donks either. Ahhh.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Speaking of fireworks and the 4th, last July in "the heights" all the hood rats were out shooting off their works all day and night, well into the night actually. So much that the whole neighborhood was choked with smoke. I went outside and couldn't see down the street, only to see 3 guys in hoodies throwing bottle rockets at cars and a string of firecrackers at stray cats.

Classy.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Speaking of fireworks and the 4th, last July in "the heights" all the hood rats were out shooting off their works all day and night, well into the night actually. So much that the whole neighborhood was choked with smoke. I went outside and couldn't see down the street, only to see 3 guys in hoodies throwing bottle rockets at cars and a string of firecrackers at stray cats.

Classy.
Yep, guess things have not changed much since I moved out. That's the exact same thing they did when I lived there, except it went on for weeks

Old 07-01-2012, 05:04 PM

385 posts, read 1,113,228 times
I know I will risk encountering some flack by saying this, but I feel "not all heights are created equal."

Some people will disagree with me, but I think Seminole Heights would be a MUCH better neighborhood for you to look in, especially if you like old houses but don't like South Tampa. Seminole Heights is definitely on the better side of the gentrification process, when compared to Tampa Heights.

There is a small area of Seminole Heights that is safe and has gentrified (Old Seminole Heights), and a much larger area surrounding it that is more transitional. IMO it is a really lovely neighborhood. Drive by Hillsborough High Scool, or the Seminole Heights Garden Center on Central Ave... either area would be a much safer place for a child to play.

I would be more hesitant to recommend Riverside Heights or South/Southeast Seminole Heights, but I know some people that live in those areas and like it. I would recommend Hampton Terrace, though, in addition to Old Seminole Heights.

Last edited by corvidae; 07-01-2012 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
Drive by Hillsborough High Scool, or the Seminole Heights Garden Center on Central Ave... either area would be a much safer place for a child to play.
Then, after you drive by Hillsborough High School on Central ave, do the following:

1. if heading South turn left on Osborne, go under I-275 and you are in a warzone
2. if heading North, turn right on Hillsborough Ave, go under I-275 and you are in a warzone
3. if heading South, keep going straight on Central Ave... before long you are in a warzone, keep going and you will end up at Robles park, a notorious gang-banger and drugie hangout
4. if heading North, keep going straight, eventually you will wind up in riverside heights... bad news

I can appreciate that there are a few, very small, nice blocks or 2, but they are completely surrounded by ghetto, and the troublesome people that live there.

In addition to my own story about my house, when I lived there, I dated a teacher that lived on the corner of Ellicot St and Central Ave. The house was a typical "heights" bungalo that someone bought for about 20 grand in the mid 90's, re-did and sold it for like 70 grand in the early 2000's before the bubble really took off. It was a nice enough place. A little nicer than mine. Much nicer neighborhood immediately around her house for a few blocks. But she got burglarized a few times just in the time that I knew her. Why? Because she was closer to the "REALLY BAD" part of "the heights" which is East of I-275. She still lived there last I heard. Her houses is worth less than she paid for it in like 2002.

I feel really sorry for the people who bought in this area in the 2005-2008 period for like $150k or more. Their places are worth like 50-60k right now.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:53 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
As a native of Tampa (but no longer live there) I cannot recommend any of the Heights. I agree with the other posters here; even if you find a nice block or two, you are never too far from a war zone, or at least a crime-stricken area. In the early 2000s I owned a couple of beautiful Victorian apt. houses in the area and those are years of my life I will never get back. Horrible crime, my sister lived in one of the apts and her door was kicked down and she was robbed several times, they let her cats out, they stole everything in my garage and my lawn statuary. The other house was filled with (unknown to me) drug addicts and other losers, but frankly those are the only types who want to ,live around there. I was fortunate enough to dump them without losing money; but while I owned them I went through all my savings plus a large home equity loan. NEVER, NEVER AGAIN! Please heed this advice and either live in South Tampa or one of the nice outer suburbs like where you already are, or Citrus Park, Westchase, Carrollwood.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times
I have to agree with crazynip. Although a lot of the refurbished homes look great, that area is not a good place for families with young children. Like you, I love the "old" style homes and neighborhood diversity. Have you looked into Safety Harbor? That area has the old style charm and diversity you like, but it is a much safer bet than Tampa Heights. The schools are better, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay