Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 PM

21 posts, read 97,379 times

Advertisements

Sarasota is much more older crowd - and more $$$. If your looking for a decent night life and well rounded stuff to do - St. Pete is the way to go. You may end up bored in Sarasota and end up driving up this way - only 40 minutes away though. Look at one of the weekender papers in St. Pete and compare it with what they have to offer in Sarasota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM

262 posts, read 937,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
ugh, ive lived in st. pete for 12 years and for the love of god dont move to this hell on earth.
I've lived here for 30 years and can't understand this. lkm, I'm not knocking your opinion - we all have different likes & dislikes - but what do you feel is wrong with St. Pete?

To lihutchi, if you didn't see it, I wrote my thoughts on the matter - St. Pete vs. Sarasota - in the other thread with that title.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 AM

558 posts, read 2,248,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
ugh, ive lived in st. pete for 12 years and for the love of god dont move to this hell on earth.
Might be nice to include some specifics. What a downer, with no justification. BTW, the beaches mentioned in this thread have all been named, repeatedly, some of the best in the world...so I guess maybe it's not ALL bad!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 48,758 times
SaveMtns, my thoughts exactly. I've been all over this forum looking for into and have pretty much decided that some folks just need to complain. I am very interested in input and facts, but I'm not giving any creedence to non specific complaining. I don't quite understand some of the negativity I see.

I really appreciate the input from those of you who have responded. I've been checking out Monster regarding jobs and it looks like there's more work opportunity in St. Pete, so we're kind of leaning that way. Please keep any info coming, though - I love input and it means a lot to hear personal stories.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,180 times
Big fan of St. Pete-

- more job oppurtunities when factoring in all of Pinellas COunty and Tampa.
- younger crowd - the median age has dropped by 20 years in the past 20 years
- downtown St. Petersburg is exploding with things to do- restaurants, Saturday Morning Market (largest in SOutheast), condos, businesses moving in- as opposed to moving out, literally dozens of events on the weekends
- cool, kitschy neighborhoods
- great fishing
- proximity to beaches
- proximity to Tampa
- tons of stuff to do if you have kids

Old 10-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Oh, I wish I was on my way! We all got excited there for a minute - my Mom got an offer on her house in North TX, but it was a very VERY lowball offer - she countered but it's not going to happen. We're beginning to entertain the dreaded thought that we might have to make it through another No. TX winter! When we decided to do this move for sure I took all my winter clothes to the local thrift store - just might have to go buy them back! I'm off to check out some more of the posts on the FL pics thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:28 AM

22 posts, read 115,010 times
I would recommend you the ST Pete more than the Sarasota area just considering the beaches are much nicer and people are nicer.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lihutchi View Post
I'm looking for input about several things. My Mom, Sister, 21 year old neice and I are planning to move to FL soon. Mom and Sis lived in the panhandle for several years. I've done a 10 day road trip down the Gulf Coast. We're very flexible - in fact just about all we're sure of is that we need to able to walk the beach whenever we want. None of us saw anything we didn't like about the area from Spring Hill to just north of Naples (we know we can't afford Naples). We do want to be in that area, not the panhandle. We'll all share housing and want to rent, at least for now. Mom is retired, sis and I both have lots of job experience, neice wants to establish residency and attend a college there. We have a bit of a nest egg and are willing to do just about anything jobwise - it wouldn't hurt our feelings a bit to work at Walmart for a while. We aren't jet setters by any means, but we like community theater, farmers markets, that sort of thing. We need easy access to medical facilities for Mom (no serious problems, but she's 75 and gets a sense of security knowing she's close to good medical care). Sis and I like the outdoors and occasionally get a kick out of the club scene. Currently we're living in a small town in TX, population 1500 - boring! We want to be around more activity, but we aren't big city folks, either. Our problem is that we just can't narrow down where we want to start. We know people in St. Pete who love it and ditto Sarasota. We've seen great looking condo complexes online that we can afford in every area we've checked. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Our main needs are medical care, job opportunities, fairly easy beach access, affordability and a small to mid sized city.
Post this on the "Florida" board. However, beware that there are a TON of negative folks out there. Most of the happy people don't come to the board. As stated many times on these things....just like customer service reps..they don't usually take calls from folks who want to thank them and tell them the service is great. There are lots of people out there who will give you honest opinions, and those who are inherently negative. Be careful deciphering the two. My vote would be the surrounding Sarasota areas. St. Pete is very crowded. I've lived in both. Medical care is the same in both, I think. Beach access will be comparible in both....prettier beaches south St. Pete and Sarasota/Venice area. Clearwater and N St. Pete are overcrowded, and can get dirty. Affordability will be Sarasota areas. St. Pete and Pinellas County taxes and insurance are much higher. Job opportunities though...would be St. Pete. Go ahead and post on the Florida board, but make sure to ask your question in a very particular manner, and not open ended...otherwise the negative folks who don't like FL period are going to scare you.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:19 PM

Still working on moving there - wish this TX house would sell! My sister and I just got back from a week on St. Pete Beach - our Christmas present to each other - WOW! Spent lots of time on the beach - were blessed by great weather - didn't even put on jeans until our last day. We tromped all over the St. Pete area and didn't see anything we didn't like. I've heard lots of negatives about So. St. Pete, but from what we saw I can't imagine what's bad about it. We drove through the Old SE Neighborhood, spent time downtown, pretty much covered the area from downtown to Gulfport, went to the Arts Walk in Gulfport, drove through Pinellas Park (is it as cool there as it looks?) and St. Pete Beach - Fort De Soto, Pass A Grill and Shell Island. Gulfport struck us as an affordable version of Pass A Grill and I'm thinking the area south of downtown going towards Gulfport is what's considered So. St. Pete - is that right? From what we heard, if we have any experience in hospitality or customer service (we do) finding jobs shouldn't be a problem - the cabana girl at our hotel could afford an efficiency on the beach! We drove through Largo and So. Clearwater just a little bit - we really do think St. Pete's where we want to settle. We watched a lot of news and really didn't hear much about crime. We were there for a week and heard about a teacher who shot his wife and her girlfriend, his kids and himself and the only other disaster news we heard was the little tornado that took out the jail annex in Land O Lakes. It looked like the public bus system was great, but I've read that's not the case. I'm trying hard not to look into jobs or rentals available right now because it may very well be months before we actually get there, but I believe the more input I can get from people who are actually living there the more informed I will be when I head that way.

So, here's some questions for anybody who feels like taking time to communicate with a St. Pete bound dreamer:

More details about So. St. Pete, please - where exactly is So. St. Pete and what's wrong with it?
Pinellas Park opinions
Gulfport - a suburb? Retirement community?
How different is it there in the summer? I've only been there in the winter.
We picked up some info flyers for homes for sale that said evacuation for hurricanes is not requires - is that common?
Anything else you want to say - mentally I am soooo already there!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:35 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
The beaches of Sarasota are nicer, but I think there are better jobs in St. Pete/Tampa - Sarasota is a small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay