Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM

17 posts, read 63,716 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We plan to move early Aug to Tampa and am looking to transport both my cars. Can someone suggest a good and reliable moving company from SF Bay area to Fl?

I plan to load some boxes in both the cars. Any advise if this is usually okay and things to remember?

Thanks,

PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM

46 posts, read 86,629 times
I would just google online shippers and setup up a bid. Whoever comes close to your criteria will contact you. I have 4 vehicles to move from SC, to Tampa this August so I fear for my wallet, especially since I just totaled my diesel last week. I do know when my wife had to move her Mom from GA, to TX, the lowest bid was $600. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:28 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
I have shipped cars across country several times. It's a crapshoot every time, or so it seems. Granted, I'm talking about both classic cars and current model "normal" cars, too.

From California to Florida is going to cost you at least $1,000/car, and that's on "open transport", or a regular car carrier truck such as you would see on the interstate loaded with new or used cars. Closed transport is also available, but at a premium price.

Another thing that affects price significantly is logistics. If you can arrange to deliver/pick up the car at a terminal, it can sometimes be cheaper. Home delivery typical costs more. Also, the time frame needed or schedule will have some bearing on the price, too. If you need the car by a specific time/day and want that guaranteed it will cost more.

Most carriers will wait until they can arrange a full load, or schedule the truck so it isn't stopping and starting constantly. As a result, this adds to the time involved to transport, and it also prevents them from having a "hard" day or time to pickup and/or deliver.

I would speak with whoever is doing your household moving and see if they have any suggestions. While you may pay more, they have a vested interest in making sure you're taken care of. The moving industry is almost totally unregulated, and as a result, movers can pretty much hold you hostage for your goods if they want to.

There are a number of web sites that provide "bids" for moving a car, but be very careful about finding out if the bidder is the actual carrier or just a broker. If you are not dealing directly with the company that will be transporting your car, find someone who will.

You cannot store, pack or transport personal belongings in the vehicle. If so, you risk getting charged for cartage costs, which, as you might imagine, are pretty outrageous. Not only that, but considering that there is no security for your vehicle while it's on the carrier. Think about it being parked in the back lot of some truck stop for 8-10 hours during rest breaks and you can imagine what can happen. Insurance is a must, and must be purchased in advance.

Your car will arrive dirty in most cases. If it's on the lower deck, there is a good chance that the car or cars above it will drip fluids on it, so don't be surprised when it arrives and is covered with filth.

Do a very comprehensive walk-around when you deliver the car for loading, and even better, take lots of pictures while it's there. That way you have some proof of the condition when it leaves your possession. When it arrives do the same thing before signing the bill of lading. Once the BOL is signed, it's yours, regardless of the condition. If there is damage, again, take pictures and call the carrier immediately. If you want the vehicle unloaded, make note of the damage on the BOL before you sign it.

Yes, this all sounds pretty scary, but it's more a matter of being informed and using common sense. As I said previously, I have shipped a number of cars cross country (SFO-TPA and back) and for the most part it was pretty painless (except for the cost, of course.)

RM

Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 PM

186 posts, read 377,807 times
Trade you houses lol. We want out of Tampa and want to move to Cali or at least a neighboring state.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,023 times
There are hundreds of auto transport companies out there so you should get a quote from a few and compare.
Moreover, keep in mind that the summer is the busiest season for moving and the lower your bid the smaller the chance someone will pick up your car in your time frame. Car shipping companies compete for business, but in the summer there is plenty and most carriers first go for the highest paying jobs.
Just a quick advice! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay