Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM

37 posts, read 65,326 times

Advertisements

We are from Pa and have never heard of such a program. Can you please give me any information in this? I have looked up the website, but it's a bit confusing, I'd love to hear from a parent that has done this? If we live in pasco, could I choose to send my children to a magnet school in pinellas ? How do you get them enrolled? My 16 year step daughter has decided to move with us, and she is very talented at make up artistry, is there a school with any program that would fit something like that? As always I appreciate your time for responding!! Thank you!! I can't wait to move , 4 more weeks, and we're there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:09 PM

50 posts, read 90,923 times
I teach at a magnet school in Hillsborough County, and I also enrolled my daughter in the same school--great experience. I don't think you can send your student across county lines for the choice/magnet programs. Most magnet schools specialize in something. Mine is Internatial Bacc., some are STEM, some are animal science & some are performing arts schools. I know in Hillsborough County, most magnet/choice positions are already filled. There is a final application period in July for the few slots that are left. For high school programs, there are usually specific criteria that need to be met in order to qualify for magnet schools. I'm thinking you are moving down too late to get her enrolled for this next school year.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:42 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletmommyplusone View Post
We are from Pa and have never heard of such a program. Can you please give me any information in this? I have looked up the website, but it's a bit confusing, I'd love to hear from a parent that has done this? If we live in pasco, could I choose to send my children to a magnet school in pinellas ? How do you get them enrolled? My 16 year step daughter has decided to move with us, and she is very talented at make up artistry, is there a school with any program that would fit something like that? As always I appreciate your time for responding!! Thank you!! I can't wait to move , 4 more weeks, and we're there
I can probably give you some info as we thought about going this route before deciding on private schools for our children.

Basically, magnet schools are schools with a specific focus … like art, or science, or something like that. They require parents to apply or put their name into a district lottery in order to get in. Parents often look for a magnet school if their child has a particular interest in something or if their zoned school isn't any good. If you don't live in the district, you can apply for out-of-district permission and hope that there is a spot for you. In-district families take priority, so rarely ever does a family cross over from Pasco's district to Pinellas. (We JUST went through this a little while ago and this is what Pinellas County School's told me.)

School choice is slightly different from magnet schools, and hopefully someone can give you information on that because I am not as familiar with it. I believe if your zoned school doesn't perform well, then you can choose another school outside of your zone - hence the "choice" part. But again, I'm not as familiar with that process so I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong.

You may want to look into Marchman in Pasco. They have a technical program that might have a cosmetology focus. Here's their website: http://mtec.pasco.k12.fl.us/index.html

Good luck! (

Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,295,988 times
Hillsborough County Public Schools - Hillsborough Choice Options

That's info for Hillsborough County. I have no idea if Pasco county has a choice option. The "choice" is a lottery thing. You can apply, but there is no guarantee you get in.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:04 PM

37 posts, read 65,326 times
Thank you so much for your feedback! I'll look into it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay