Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Home totally flooded?i guess if you really like the house and everything will be fixed to a high standard you can wait till its all fixed up and move in.
I personally would take this as an omen and worry about other aspects of the house being ready to be in need of repair,i'd continue looking for other options in the neighborhood.
What was the opinion of the professional home inspector on the home when you first got interested in this particular place?Did he mention anything about condition of Plumbing,Electrical.Structural concerns? it would also be in your best interest to have him come back and redo that inspection after the renovations are done if you are still interested in this particular house..
You may think this house was perfect but maybe this incident was meant to get you into an even more perfect place.. Good Luck.
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&safe=off...iw=853&bih=492
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Be thankful it happened when it did and not 24 hours later!

Someone must be watching out for you.
So sorry this happened....

Old 07-07-2012, 05:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
Thanks, everyone! You will seriously not believe what happened today. I was so concerned about there being a glitch with the financing, but there were no issues with that. Instead, we got a call from our realtor this morning telling us that the toilet in the upstairs bathroom of the Safety Harbor home had broken. When we got to the house, it was like a total NIGHTMARE. Water was everywhere upstairs and pouring from the ceiling onto every floor of the lower level. The owner had not been home for two days, so the toilet tank water basically kept pouring out unchecked … saturating the entire home. The entire interior of the home is going to need to be gutted because everything … and I mean EVERYTHING is wet and soggy … drywall, flooring, ceilings, cabinetry, etc. It literally was like a scene out of a really horrible movie. I still keep thinking maybe I'll wake up because it feels like an awful dream.

So needless to say, we did not close today like we'd hoped. I've closed on several homes in my relatively short lifetime, and NEVER have I had anything like this happen.

I'm not sure what will happen from here. The owner had a restoration team out there shortly after discovering the problem and they are trying to get things dried out and carpets removed so her insurance adjuster can come out and begin the assessing damages.

We LOVE this house. Other than the interior being outdated (low popcorn ceilings, dark carpets, small kitchen, etc.) it was perfect for us. The neighborhood, layout, location, style of home, and best of all the price. The owner said she has excellent insurance coverage and would have it completely renovated and pay for a mold inspection … she said we'd get to pick all of our new flooring, colors, and cabinetry … essentially we will have a completely remodeled home when all is said and done at no cost to us … other than our time. It will take several weeks, I'm sure.

So, is it worth the wait, or should we start the whole house hunting process over again? Ugh. The thought of that just makes me feel sick to my stomach, especially when I look at some of the inventory that's left in Safety Harbor. We have a free place to stay with my husband's family and we were able to store our things for the time being, so at least we will have a roof over our heads until we make a decision about what to do.
I would get a contractor to give you a quote, to fix everything with the finishes of your choosing, then negotiate that money in the closing, so that you can take charge of the timeline. The insurance company gives you a check thats going to take time, if you can get the sellers to float the money, then you can get started sooner. I closed on a house a couple of months ago and I was on pins and needles myself, there is no inventory where people actually want to live, (where I wanted to live anyway), A contractor can put up sheetrock and flooring in a week. Also negotiate a housing allowance, for the time you are out of the house, or at least bring that up as ammo in the negotiating.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:12 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Thank you, everyone for the kind remarks. I am trying to keep a positive outlook here, but it isn't easy.

Quote:
What was the opinion of the professional home inspector on the home when you first got interested in this particular place?Did he mention anything about condition of Plumbing,Electrical.Structural concerns? it would also be in your best interest to have him come back and redo that inspection after the renovations are done if you are still interested in this particular house..
You may think this house was perfect but maybe this incident was meant to get you into an even more perfect place.. Good Luck.
Our inspector actually made a note about the hairline crack in the toilet tank. His words were, "You will want to replace this toilet when the house is yours because this crack could break open and spill water everywhere." Because it wasn't a major repair, it was put on the "to do" list when we would take possession. It wouldn't have been that bad if the owner had been at home when it happened … the water could have been shut off quickly and the damage wouldn't have been very extensive, but the owner was gone for the holiday and the toilet tank just kept refilling and spilling for several hours. The rest of the inspection revealed that the home was in good working order. There was a small issue with a two foot section of roof, but that was taken care of since that was labeled a "major repair."

Yes, we will have the house thoroughly re-inspected once everything is re-done. I am beginning to wonder if this wasn't some sort of sign as you mentioned that this house may not be the best thing for us after all. Then again, all of this could be a huge blessing in disguise if it gets renovated beautifully.

Quote:
I would get a contractor to give you a quote, to fix everything with the finishes of your choosing, then negotiate that money in the closing, so that you can take charge of the timeline. The insurance company gives you a check thats going to take time, if you can get the sellers to float the money, then you can get started sooner. I closed on a house a couple of months ago and I was on pins and needles myself, there is no inventory where people actually want to live, (where I wanted to live anyway), A contractor can put up sheetrock and flooring in a week. Also negotiate a housing allowance, for the time you are out of the house, or at least bring that up as ammo in the negotiating.
Since we didn't own the house at the time of the water damage, the owner's insurance company will be footing the bill. Our insurance company won't be involved at all since they aren't the ones insuring the home. The owner assured us that she has excellent insurance and that we'd be able to choose our own flooring, cabinets, paint colors, etc. There will also be a mold inspection done. When we left yesterday, the emergency restoration folks were already there starting the work of drying out the house and pulling up the soggy carpets. The housing allowance thing won't really be necessary because we have a free place to stay for as long as we need.

My main concern is the financing. What happens if this takes months to repair? Will we have to re-apply all over again? My broker and real estate agent are working on drawing up paperwork for us to sign that will "protect" us. I'm not sure what that means exactly.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
WOW...That sucks!

Definitely ask for home warranty, if you didn't already. That should cover all this mess.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:04 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
floridagirl77, this is just awful news. If the owner/seller will provide a 3 year Home Warranty to guarantee against wood rot, mold, electrical damage, etc. I would still consider the house. Without the warranty, I would walk.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
That totally sucks that this happened. Good thing you didnt sign the papers first.

You probably want to walk away from this one... water damage is bad news. There is stuff you will not see, like MOLD. Mold can completely destroy a house and your health.

WALK AWAY...

Places like SERVPRO which is who they probably hired to clean it up will only do basic cosmetic repairs, they wont do mold remediation.

WALK AWAY, FAST!!!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
That totally sucks that this happened. Good thing you didnt sign the papers first.

You probably want to walk away from this one... water damage is bad news. There is stuff you will not see, like MOLD. Mold can completely destroy a house and your health.

WALK AWAY...

Places like SERVPRO which is who they probably hired to clean it up will only do basic cosmetic repairs, they wont do mold remediation.

WALK AWAY, FAST!!!
What if the owner paid for a mold inspection and the inspection came back totally clean? Our realtor said there is a test that costs around $2000 that will check for black mold. She said the owner should be willing to do that for us since there was so much water damage.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Something to think about is the timing. Yes, they will get people in to fix, yes they will get mold inspectors in, but sometimes mold takes time to 'GROW' (for lack of a better word). I am sure there are professionals that guantee the work, just be sure everything is written down, documented, with warranties. I really like the comment about the three year warranty. Be sure none of these issues will become your financial problem down the road.

I understand you still wanting the house. There are certain things to me that are worth the extra hassle and one of them is a HOME A REALLY LIKE! They are all unique, even the location.

BEST OF LUCK - and again, sorry that this happened to you!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:42 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
What if the owner paid for a mold inspection and the inspection came back totally clean? Our realtor said there is a test that costs around $2000 that will check for black mold. She said the owner should be willing to do that for us since there was so much water damage.
I would say walk, mold develops over time. Any test they do today will be useless 2 months from now once the stuff has time to grab hold and grow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay