Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I will say that Spring Hill's traffic patterns are WAY nicer than what's down here. Other than my friends up there, that is the only thing I will miss.
That's because the majority of residents dont work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
floridagirl777, I followed this post over the weekend on my mobile phone and couldn't reply until I got a decent keyboard. I feel badly for what you're going through. Are you superstitious? This could be either a curse or a blessing.

In reading those who said to run away, I wonder what they would do if something similar should happen while they're away for a weekend. Would they walk away? No. I realize it's different for you because you have a choice.

If you should choose to proceed with the purchase, the house will be updated to your tastes and the money you were going to spend updating it yourself can be used elsewhere.

I wonder what your lender will do since this will inevitably delay your planned closing over 30 days. At a minimum, I expect they will want your financials updated and maybe another appraisal on the house.

I understand how you feel about the Safety Harbor area. A very good friend of mine lives in Bay Woods and he says when he moves, he's going out feet first - LOL!

Please let us know what you decide and keep us updated on your progress.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 07-09-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 PM

272 posts, read 607,234 times
Quote:
You are the second person this week to tell me that Safety Harbor is pretentious. A friend of mine in Spring Hill said something to the effect of, "Since you'll be living in Safety Harbor, you'll be surrounded by snobs.".
I've never experienced anything I'd consider "Snobby" in any of the areas mentioned to be honest.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
floridagirl777, I followed this post over the weekend on my mobile phone and couldn't reply until I got a decent keyboard. I feel badly for what you're going through. Are you superstitious? This could be either a curse or a blessing.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm not superstitious, but I do believe everything happens for a reason and I'm wondering what message God is sending my family in this circumstance. Not sure if He's giving us a blessing in disguise or telling us to RUN. Only time will tell.

Quote:
I wonder what your lender will do since this will inevitably delay your planned closing over 30 days. At a minimum, I expect they will want your financials updated and maybe another appraisal on the house.
We spoke with our lender today. We have 30 days for the owner to get everything finished. If it can't be done in that time line, then we will have to get our financials updated and essentially start with new paperwork and a new interest rate. (We originally locked in at 3.75%)

Quote:
I understand how you feel about the Safety Harbor area. A very good friend of mine lives in Bay Woods and he says when he moves, he's going out feet first - LOL!
I completely understand as that is the exact neighborhood as the home I'm talking about. It is a GREAT neighborhood, as I'm sure you know.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 PM

So, we went to the house today to see how things were going with the drying out and to meet up with the insurance adjuster. There were a TON of fans blowing and tubes sucking out water. The company doing the emergency restoration service drilled these big holes at the base of the walls and had fans blowing directly behind the drywall. They also has this really neat x-ray like device that showed them what it looked like behind the walls, and they had this hand-held thing that alerted them to any moisture that had seeped into the drywall. My husband and I got to watch the team of guys at work, and from what I researched on the internet, it seems like they are doing everything correctly. We will have our inspector come out before the renovations begin to make sure it is safe to start, but so far it looks like we're off on the right foot. We didn't stay for the whole day, but from what I understand once they finish identifying where the problem spots are, they will tear out dry wall and put an antimicrobial (I think that's what they called it) application down to keep the mold away.

The insurance adjuster was also there, and it looks like the owner will receive funds to replace almost all the flooring in the house, all the kitchen cabinets and counters, the vanity in the bathroom that flooded, new toilets, new drywall for the walls and ceilings that were damaged, and new baseboards and crown molding. The company doing the drying and mold prevention also does renovations. They said depending on how many jobs were ahead of ours and as long as the materials weren't special ordered and could be brought in quickly, it wouldn't take more than a month to renovate the house. (I'm not sure if the owner will be using them or we will be allowed to pick who we want to do the repairs. The home technically still belongs to the owner, although the owner assured us we could have our inspector come at any time to make sure things are being done correctly and that we would be able to pick whatever we wanted for flooring, wall colors, counters, etc.)

I also called the insurance company we will be using for the new house. They said they wouldn't have any problem still insuring the home for the same rate with the same coverage we asked for prior to this water damage as long as the repairs were made adequately.

So far, so good.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
So far, so good.
Give us an update about a year from now.
We'll hope you have good luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:02 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I pray this is the right move, I am just not sure 30 days to fix is adequate time,,, but now the whole house is being inspected, for every little thing...which is a good thing,,,

Old 07-10-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Give us an update about a year from now.
We'll hope you have good luck.
Will do.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I pray this is the right move, I am just not sure 30 days to fix is adequate time,,, but now the whole house is being inspected, for every little thing...which is a good thing,,,
I'm sure it's not either. My guess is it will take close to 2 months to have things done right. I am sure we will have to go back through the financing paperwork all over again. Thankfully, the rates are still low.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 PM

Update.

DriRite is almost finished drying the place out. We've gone from 20+ blowers and a bunch of dehumidifiers to just 3 blowers and 1 dehumidifier now. My husband and I asked our good friend who is an excellent home inspector to come out and look things over. He has been a friend of ours for years, and would definitely tell us if he thought we were making a mistake with this house. He said everything looks good so far. He's going to come back out again once the drywall and ceilings are completely down to make sure the framing is fine. He checked the subflooring and parts of the framing and rafters that were exposed and said everything was fine so far.

The insurance company will hopefully be coming up with an estimate this week, and we are meeting with a contractor tomorrow to go over the repairs that need to be made.

So far, so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay