Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,278,039 times

Advertisements

The "transient" happens when ppl move here, and REALIZE that the "low cost of living" is FAKE! Its the marketing that is creating this problem; Florida would be a LOT less transient if it wasn't improperly advertised, and people would have more commons sense. When we were in PA you should have seen/heard the commercials for Orange Juice alone! (which was hysterical to watch considering that all the OJ in FL goes to Indiana, and then comes back all hiked in price because we can't even process our own juice here apparently)!!!!!!!!! or all the Strawberry farms we have in Plant City, yet when you go to the grocery store all strawberries come from California!? WHY? that has to be the dumbest thing in the world. But whatever! But if you listened to the voice inflections they used in those commercials, a roach would move to FL if it listened to those commercials long enough.

More companies would move here indeed if the work force as more qualified. The problem is that companies moving here don't want to PAY a good wage, so the qualified people move where companies are willing to pay decent wages. A lot of people cannot afford to live on $7 an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
It's simple economics and Tampa's lack of industry is one reason Tampa has a high transient rate and is consistently losing workers to cities like Raleigh, Austin, etc. Raymond James is a great example of a home-grown company, but Tampa needs to be able to attract existing companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 AM

35,601 posts, read 20,939,099 times
Its not user freindly.. again the roads,, down town ughhh.. you cannot get from point A to point B- DTown Tampa has huge flood issues for long term thinking? and the people are NOT open to new. It remains a large town or vacation spot to beaches and parks in Orlando, we must change mind set. IF I had a large business I wanted to grow - I would be reading all the financials- as well at who and what is already here. The Trump towers failing was NOT a good sign.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,278,039 times
Its good the Trump towers failed only because they were built at a time when reckless spending was a little too popular. They were not build to suit (or marketed towards) those working downtown, and did not have attractive venues open after business hours...they were just "buy another overpriced condo in FL".

You cannot expect an area to be geared to "new" when it is ran by retired age ppl who are comfortable in their own 1 square mile, or less, and cannot look too far into the future because they don't have enough years left for that. You need young people running this town(or any town)...as in 35-40 year olds...energetic, progressive, open to new ways to attract businesses to the area. (Senators also need to be reduced to 4 years because if one becomes a senator at 66, 70+, and beyond they'll be senile by the time the term ends!) Not something young people want out of those in "charge"! Not to mention the GENERATION GAPS! Joe 21 has literally nothing in common besides speaking English with Joe 77 senator of some state who couldn't find a young person to promote in high end jobs.

& Unlike Orlando, Tampa believe it or not, is a LOT more "business" oriented...the problem is that the quality of those businesses is questionable, and also not directed at a majority of people. "Financials" generally work for those mathematically inclined...take some test scores around FL, and see how many you get that could thrive in that field. We need diversity in the businesses that want to make Tampa "their corporate office"! So far, at every corner there's a maid business, or a McDonalds! that sadly, doesn't even need a HS degree!

Also thanks to continually advertising FL as a cheap place to retire, rather than a perfect place for your business also doesn't help much. A LOT more locally educated people would stick around if they were respected financially(=appropriate wages), and if there was more diversity around.

P.S. We have AWESOME main roads here by comparison to other places. The only annoying thing downtown are the one way streets, but I assume there is a reason for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
and the people are NOT open to new.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,580,640 times
F0rbes...this same spoiled-brat, attention-hungry, media outlet also said Tampa is the best place to buy a home in 2006. They'll report on anything that increases their ratings.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM

35,601 posts, read 20,939,099 times
In either case,,, the news goes out to prospective employers and companies around the world,,, we do not have a good reputation-- do not expect them to come here. REM there have been some big cities and big areas in cities that have become desolate for lack of jobs and movement... so again-- do you want that to happen? you think it can't? I rem Miami Beach in early 80's it was aful,,, nothing but drug addicts walking the streets it was scary,,, until much later art deco investors came and re-vamped the area and made it S-Beach-- IT can happen... I see DT clearwater and what? ST Pete Pier?? Channelside, Trump towers,,, reality sinking in yet? WE need growth.... or become death valley

Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 AM

420 posts, read 862,611 times
Observer News - At least 111 has three number ones

Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 AM

892 posts, read 1,573,188 times
The Tampa Bay area has ALWAYS had trouble economically......even during the absolutely rediculous "real estate boom".

Pinellas County has to be the "self employment capital of America".....there are TONS and TONS of small businesses that basically just exsist to create a meager income for the business owner because there isn't many other options besides starting your own little business to try to scratch out $40,000 per year.

Without a college degree, working for someone else, the most people around here can seem to make is $12 to maybe $15 dollars per hour......maybe. That wage will also stagnate......that's what you will be making in 10 years.

My industry was invented in Florida and has a very strong showing on the east coast of Florida and the east coast U.S........but for some reason- the examples of my industry in the Tampa Bay area are an embarrasment to industry professionals like myself.

The Tampa Bay area is an EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING area to live if you have excellent work ethic and job proficiency and expect to get paid well for it.

The Tampa Bay area seems like a "giant small town" to me.........small towns usually have a strip mall/plaza, some restaurants, and some small businesses............

That is what we have here...........except for the fact there is 20,000,000 of each example here.

Sad Place when it comes to work/pay.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 PM

4,998 posts, read 7,195,639 times
Tampa Bay must lead the nation in lawn care businesses. Am I the only one who cuts his own lawn any more?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:22 PM

6,607 posts, read 4,990,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Tampa Bay must lead the nation in lawn care businesses. Am I the only one who cuts his own lawn any more?
There is so much competition, I got my guy down to $15 a cut, 3x a month.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,957,821 times
the tampa bay area consistently ranks terribly on most lists on a variety of topics by all sorts of publications, it was even ranked as one of the saddest cities with off the charts clinical depression rates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay