Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd really advise against this course of action as when the ticket goes to court if you arent there the judge issues a bench warrant for your arrest which will manifest itself the next time you get pulled over, at least thats the way it worked back in the 70's.When failure to pay a ticket had me spending the weekend in the St Pete county jail until 10am Monday morning i came before a judge and had the opportunity to pay the ticket .
^ This...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
There are plenty of traffic lawyers who work for a flat fee, usually under $200. The only thing you are risking is the fine you would have payed anyway. If you have a clean license, you will get the ticket dismissed 9 times out of 10.
Which is more than the fine... you are going to pay more, for what reason?

Are you the type of person who has to get the last word in edge wise? Has to always be right? Even when you are wrong?

DONT RUN RED LIGHTS!!!!

It's really that simple.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
^ This...
My information is accurate as I chose to handle it, I really never got the actual summons. While its true that if your dont pay a summons you get your license suspended and might get a bench warrant. At the point where you get the notice form the red light camera company, it is not a summons its extortion, the summons still has to be issued to you, then you have to neglect to either fight it or pay it, so have to make a series of bad decisions before it gets to a warrant.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 PM

146 posts, read 306,307 times
They were actived all around the area now. I would pay the fine but as others have said it's a money grabbing thing for these cities and there will be so many infractions I don't see how they will keep up the policing of this. However speeding to me is a much more problematic. McMullen Booth Rd is like a freeway in rush hour.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
No they dont. Yellow light time is set by law, it's a formula based on speed limit. You can time it and if it's less, they will drop the charges... you can bet every light that has one of these things is set right.
I looked into it and yes, you are correct about this.

I assumed it was similar to how it was when I lived in Texas. In Texas they reduced yellow lights at camera locations by HALF. Some are less than 2 seconds, where as Florida minimum is usually around 4 seconds so that's good news.

Unfortunately, during my research I discovered that you people allowed politicians to extort you into paying $158 to these private companies by threatening to turn the civil fine into a real deal traffic violation which carries a much more serious penalty and they can suspend your license which seems RIDICULOUS. Back in louisiana I got a red light ticket (only $90) because it was raining and somebody was tailing me so I didn't want to hit the breaks hard. It was a safe maneuver but the yellow light was probably around 2 seconds. I never paid the ticket and it just went away because it's just a civil dispute with a business I had no contract with.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/flor...onstitutional/

mind you, I would not have a problem with this if the actual police force would set up their own cameras and do all this themselves. I don't like our government using the law and guns in order to make these companies money. It's just corrupt.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post

Unfortunately, during my research I discovered that you people allowed politicians to extort you into paying $158 to these private companies by threatening to turn the civil fine into a real deal traffic violation which carries a much more serious penalty and they can suspend your license .
Maybe i'm not following you correctly but it seems you are saying getting a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign is extortion?The ensuing legal problems that may get expensive are only going to arise if you dont pay the $158 ticket.
When i get a ticket i dont even think about how to get out of it i figure i earned it now go to the bank and pay for whatever transgression of the highway code i failed to abide by.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtytwopaws View Post
I received this in the mail yesterday with a $158 fine, for failing to come to a complete stop, I think. My husband was driving though. So I was going to send in an affidavit to bust him instead. But after reading the fine print, I realize that he will get a real ticket if I do this! That would mean a higher fine with court costs, and maybe insurance points....
So am I to falsely admit guilt by paying the fine, as it would cost my family more to do the right thing and name the real offender??
Do most people just pay these, since the consequences seem worse for not paying (and then facing a real ticket instead)??
Thanks for any info!
If your husband was driving, get the money from HIM and you pay it if they say it was you. Would just be too much hassle for you to go back and forth with the "system" and argue who was behind the wheel. With the cash coming from his pocket at least you won't quite feel like you are duping the system...Wow, a camera to catch people going thru red lights? Hope they don't ever do that in our city..seems like a desperation move for the city to get money in their coffers.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe i'm not following you correctly but it seems you are saying getting a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign is extortion?The ensuing legal problems that may get expensive are only going to arise if you dont pay the $158 ticket.
When i get a ticket i dont even think about how to get out of it i figure i earned it now go to the bank and pay for whatever transgression of the highway code i failed to abide by.
It is not a ticket, its a letter from a private company, that tells you pay me the $158 dollars or we will forward the info to the city and you will get a ticket. Mind you its not a company that just sets up cameras in a random intersection, its coordinated with the city, the city gets a cut from the $158. I dont understand the moral argument here, yes you committed an infraction, a moving violation, but how come you dont get an actual ticket, because they want you to pay the private company.
i would be ok if the cameras were run by the city, or even if you were issued a summons, otherwise the city is telling you that you can keep running the red lights all you want as long as you keep paying us.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It is not a ticket, its a letter from a private company, that tells you pay me the $158 dollars or we will forward the info to the city and you will get a ticket. Mind you its not a company that just sets up cameras in a random intersection, its coordinated with the city, the city gets a cut from the $158. I dont understand the moral argument here, yes you committed an infraction, a moving violation, but how come you dont get an actual ticket, because they want you to pay the private company.
i would be ok if the cameras were run by the city, or even if you were issued a summons, otherwise the city is telling you that you can keep running the red lights all you want as long as you keep paying us.
Ah ha I get it now. thanks for the clarification.
i can see the extortion angle now.however i cant see any way around paying the ticket.. i think i would take the letter to a police station and or city hall just verify its authenticity.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
If your husband was driving, get the money from HIM and you pay it if they say it was you. Would just be too much hassle for you to go back and forth with the "system" and argue who was behind the wheel. With the cash coming from his pocket at least you won't quite feel like you are duping the system...Wow, a camera to catch people going thru red lights? Hope they don't ever do that in our city..seems like a desperation move for the city to get money in their coffers.
Up here it matters not who was driving the car the infraction is charged to the owner of the car,i guess with the rationale that you are responsible for your car and whose driving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: