Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,065 times

Advertisements

As someone who stayed put for way too long and put up with the nasty winters, and all the other nastiness that comes with living up north, I am VERY glad I moved to Tampa Bay 5 years ago, even though I am making a third of what I am making now. I am lucky. I am able to get by making a third of what I used to make. Others are not able to do that. But if you can finagle it, I highly recommend at least trying out the Tampa Bay lifestyle. Even though you will make less, you will need less. Despite the fact that Florida cost of living has increased, it's still cheaper living than up north. And the quality of life is MUCH better.

All you gotta do is drive down the empty roads, and that's almost worth the move to Tampa Bay right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 03:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Welfare leechers.

We can agree on the salary bar tenders make as being nowhere near $50K but People making $30K are welfare leeches?cmon thats not a fair statement as many do quite well on $30K income per year,granted they probably live in cheaper houses and drive older cars but they have to go out every day and work for that $30K,and if you do only make $30K thats way over the requirements needed to qualify for all welfare programs.
Probably looking from the lofty heights of your financial empire crazynip some one making $30K would be considered a pauper but in reality with some good financial planning coupled with some sacrifice many people do just fine on that $30K without having to resort to welfare . calling these people welfare leeches is just plain harsh and uncalled for..

Last edited by jambo101; 07-08-2012 at 04:51 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
PayScale - Florida Cost of Living, Tampa

Good Luck making $50k as a bar tender in FL!

Crazy...hahahaha That's funny...bar tenders DO make more money than photographers here! LOLOL Trust me.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
For ONE person $30k is more than enough to live here comfortable given they don't splurge on BMWs and the likes. However, a family of 4 living off $30k does qualify for welfare EASY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We can agree on the salary bar tenders make as being nowhere near $50K but People making $30K are welfare leeches?cmon thats not a fair statement as many do quite well on $30K income per year,granted they probably live in cheaper houses and drive older cars but they have to go out every day and work for that $30K,and if you do only make $30K thats way over the requirements needed to qualify for all welfare programs.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:32 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cierra3440 View Post
Help! I'm a 24 year old female currently living in Pittsburgh looking to relocate to Florida in January. My main concern is the amount of people my age! I know there are going to be a good bit of retirees anywhere I'd move to in Florida but I just want to live somewhere that also has a good amount of people in their 20s and early 30s. My other "requirements" are that I live fairly close to the beach (20 mins or so tops) and there are a good bit of bars & restaurants - I plan on getting a job as a bartender or server but also because I enjoy going out and meeting new people a lot too! I want to live in an apartment complex/community and obviously want it to be safe & affordable. I don't even know where to start so anything will help, thanks!!
You will make better money bartending and serving if you live in a place like Sarasota (my city). This is a very wealthy area and TONS of restaurants/bars of all kinds. If you are in the right place you can easily make what you are making now, mostly during the "season." The downside for you is that it IS considered a retirement town (but there are colleges and young people here, too). We have gorgeous beaches and many safe places to live. I suggest you check this area out. Opportunities for servers in Tampa/St. Pete are just not the best.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You will make better money bartending and serving if you live in a place like Sarasota (my city). This is a very wealthy area and TONS of restaurants/bars of all kinds. If you are in the right place you can easily make what you are making now, mostly during the "season." The downside for you is that it IS considered a retirement town (but there are colleges and young people here, too). We have gorgeous beaches and many safe places to live. I suggest you check this area out. Opportunities for servers in Tampa/St. Pete are just not the best.

Good luck!
And for every person making anywhere near decent money bartending, there are 5 unemployed people looking for work, and 10 making ****ty money bartending

Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
I think the OP got scared off. Maybe Cali is a better place for her.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I think the OP got scared off. Maybe Cali is a better place for her.
Yea, like California isnt in the same boat as Florida

IE: 20 somethings leaving the cold North to the "land of opportunity" only to find out there are no jobs

Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Yea, like California isnt in the same boat as Florida

IE: 20 somethings leaving the cold North to the "land of opportunity" only to find out there are no jobs
Just think if she makes 50k where she is then she could 100k in Cali. Just the cost of living will be more than 5 times as much.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:

When you have so many Floridians telling the rest of the country what a paradise Florida is did you expect they wouldnt want a piece of the action, the lazy days on beautiful beaches, no winters, fun 24|7...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay