U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:34 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,203,411 times

Advertisements

Which is precisely why I don't understand why most ppl don't make friends at work...not all jobs require solitude. If I were to go back to a 9 to 5 job I would make friends with everybody immediately. Those are the people that I'll end up seeing more than my family...so, why not make good friends out of that time spent together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Then I went to work and made friends at work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM

4,929 posts, read 5,957,551 times
No matter where you decide to move, get involved with the community the first week. Attend civic meetings to find out what is going on in your area, but also to meet new people. I'm sure other CD people can give you some pointers about where to meet your new friends.

Just because you don't know anyone today doesn't mean that by next week you have long list of new friends. Climate, taxes, jobs, crime are more of an issue for us. We think Lexington, Ky. is a good pick between the areas you are looking at and have affordable housing and taxes.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,258,628 times
Knew nobody when we moved here. Have made a few friends!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 PM

119 posts, read 235,100 times
We just moved here 2mos ago...only my sister and oldest daughter are here. We planned it for the last 10 or so years ago. We raised 4 kids, the last one graduated last June and moved out and we put our house on the market. We finally sold, closed in May, but we moved down here April 25. BIG adjustment, but we're loving it. We're at the beach every day off we have together The new jobs have been an adjustment, as well as moving from a 4bedroom 2 1/2 bath house for the last 16yrs to a 2bdm apt! We're finally starting to adjust to life away from our other kids and grandson They're still in IN. We live in St Pete and knew absolutely NOTHING about this city. The more we discover, the more we like it

Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM

25,636 posts, read 14,342,820 times
All depends on age, and kids etc. I have been here 6 yrs an no real friends, work peers etc but no-one to cry with you if you lose a fam member etc. IT is sorta cool here with the friends thing. So your need to be near family etc is what you need to think about and how busy your life will be and what your recreational lifestyle is like,, fishing- tennis etc. write down all the pros and cons--- n good luck. if I could I'd ret to S Fla.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:46 AM

77 posts, read 127,000 times
We moved to Florida in March with out knowing anyone. We found a church we like and started attending. We have made quite a lot of friends since moving here.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 AM

603 posts, read 939,856 times
My husband and I both made great friends at work in Tampa, but it took time. We both had jobs where we worked 5+ years for our respective companies, so we had time to build some great friendships. We're still friends with many of them to this day. So it will come, and can be done at work, but it takes time.

We also met a lot of people through some of our hobbies, like playing trivia and poker. Tampa has a thriving trivia (Buzztime as well as live trivia) community, as well as several free poker leagues.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,470,495 times
Well, we've only spent our first winter in Dunedin as snowbirds, but we've found it very easy to make friends.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:05 PM

5,133 posts, read 3,804,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Which is precisely why I don't understand why most ppl don't make friends at work...not all jobs require solitude. If I were to go back to a 9 to 5 job I would make friends with everybody immediately. Those are the people that I'll end up seeing more than my family...so, why not make good friends out of that time spent together?
I think you have acquaintances at work, but not friends. In my case am at least 15 to 20 years younger than most of my peers, also very different ideologies, I am from NY/NJ area am used to everybody listening to NPR and being progressive, here is the opposite, I went from wondering who in their right minds would beleive all the spin on FNC and such, to everyone watches FNC, a little bit of culture shock.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM

25,636 posts, read 14,342,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

If you are the newcomer,,,they need to be friendly to you---and show ya around etc. I work in a lrg. office and now that I am there a while, I extend my hand of welcome,, and they still don't,, it is the CULTURE here. I had a lady tell me at the gym thanks for making her feel welcome because I shared the types of classes that are fun and invited her to join in--- sooo whats up ladies?? IT is the CULTURE! I made up some business cards just with my name etc to give to folks... we see each other at gym but no calls,,, this does not happen in Miami,,, or even NY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay