U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM

877 posts, read 1,697,672 times

Advertisements

We moved here from Charlotte due to DH's job without knowing anyone. We now have lots of friends due to work and various meetup groups.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:40 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,192,313 times
I agree that if this is the case it is pretty pathetic.

When we lived in Cheval there were several other stay at home moms, and none would socialize...ever! To the day I couldn't tell you why, because at Halloween they were all out socializing no problem!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
If you are the newcomer,,,they need to be friendly to you---and show ya around etc. I work in a lrg. office and now that I am there a while, I extend my hand of welcome,, and they still don't,, it is the CULTURE here. I had a lady tell me at the gym thanks for making her feel welcome because I shared the types of classes that are fun and invited her to join in--- sooo whats up ladies?? IT is the CULTURE! I made up some business cards just with my name etc to give to folks... we see each other at gym but no calls,,, this does not happen in Miami,,, or even NY!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 AM

44 posts, read 61,964 times
We're closing on our Florida home next Friday, and yes this is exactly what we're doing. My husband is going to work remotely and I'm either going back to school or wokring part time (haven't decided yet)

This is a move by choice. We're sad to leave our family and friends, but we're attracted to the lifestyle (no more winters, we're beach people) and cost of living. Our home will literally be less than half of what we would pay up here.

We both work like dogs up here to barely get by. Down there on my husband's salary we can live on one income (we won't, but we could..) I sold my business officially yesterday.

Ready for a positive change and more of a focus on our family and kids!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 AM

44 posts, read 61,964 times
And yes, we plan on networking like mad to meet new people. We're friendly and we want to build a great social network. I'm already on the PTA and my kids aren't even officially enrolled in school. We plan on going to Church right away as well.

We're not shy and we're open to meeting lots of great new friends, so I hope that will help us adjust quickly!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,575,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirdMom View Post
And yes, we plan on networking like mad to meet new people. We're friendly and we want to build a great social network. I'm already on the PTA and my kids aren't even officially enrolled in school. We plan on going to Church right away as well.

We're not shy and we're open to meeting lots of great new friends, so I hope that will help us adjust quickly!
You will be fine! Florida is a friendly place if you are friendly person. Like anywhere else, if you want a friend, you must first be a friend.

Getting involved in school and church is a great first step. That's how we connected with all our friends in our previous area, and we had more friends than we knew what to do with. We just moved down to the Clearwater area and are starting the whole process over again. It's stressful, but I find it exciting at the same time. It helps if you love people and aren't afraid to talk and invite folks over to your home.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:07 PM

9 posts, read 15,465 times
My husband and I voluntarily transfered here from Maine, 8 years ago. We grew up in NJ. We have 3 kids now. We moved here knowing no one except the possibility of meeting Mike's coworkers. Honestly, I have had trouble making good friends. It may just be me. People are friendly in our neighborhood. I have more trouble making friends at my kid's school. My mother-in-law followed us here and loves it. She rents a small condo on the water in Dunedin. Very scenic and beautiful. She has always loved hot weather, though. I miss the season changes badly and miss my family in NJ. They never come visit us. In the winter it gets mildly cold in the morning, but by the afternoon it's hot again. In the Palm Harbor area where I live, you can't get much house for your money. Houses are not selling anywhere. Many neighbors have lost their jobs. A lot of foreclosures. Hope this helps you with your decision. Sorry if I sound depressing. There is a lot to do around here. I am 1 mile from the beach. There's a lot of kid-friendly activities. Best of luck.

Last edited by gulfofmexicomom; 07-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: added more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay