U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:52 PM

68 posts, read 135,812 times

Advertisements

I couldn't think of the best way to phrase my post title!

To try and make a very long story short, my husband and I have been waiver back and forth between relocating to Raleigh and Florida for a couple of years. I've had a few opportunities come my way in the WPB area that the timing was never quite right on and that a while back we had a contract fall through on our house here in NY. We're now back on the market and contemplating our relocation.

We know we're relocating..we just can't decide where. We always thought it was Raleigh- we have friends there, has a great climate and it's half way between family here in NY and family in Juno Beach.

However, I lived in Tampa through my early and middle 20's and loved it. I'm familiar with the summers, the creatures and the transient nature of the state. still have a few friends (no longer close, but remained connected via Facebook) My husband and I love the beach and my kids much prefer the warm weather over any cold weather. So, because of all of this we're back to leaning towards Florida. My inlaws and my sister in law and her family live in Juno Beach on the east coast..so they'd be closer than they are now, but not around the corner.

Might be a silly question, but I'm wondering if you made a conscious decision to move your life to Florida (with going because a job sent you) without knowing anyone and started a new life and if you're happy with that decision? We're back and forth on moving to the side of the state we prefer, or going with the side of the state where we have family.

I know that strangers on a message boards cannot help us sort this out, but I am a collector of information and like to get any and all input about things I can!

Thank you!!!
Heather
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 01:48 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,069,051 times
We moved here last year without knowing a soul other than my stepfather's sister in Palm Harbor who we still haven't visited. I barely know her anyway.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,188,857 times
LOL We lived here 11 years now and we still don't know anyone! (besides the pediatrician, speech therapist, and the wonderful people from our Publix). We also have 3 kids, and don't have much time left to entertain...LOL

We have way to many things to do to mind with making new friends these days.

You'll be fine if you don't "need" to have lots of friends around! We do our own things, and are quite happy with that.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,960,315 times
I've been here for three years. Didn't know anyone. I don't have time to meet anyone. It would cut into my CDF-posting time.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,221,759 times
We moved down here without knowing one single person. I have made some friends, but the really close friends are still up norht. My family is scattered throughout the United States. When my dad died last year (NYC), my sister had to deal with most of the details. I could only take a week off to help. There wasn't much I could do to help when I came back to Tampa. It was really hard to be so far away. At the time airfare was around $500. Kind of hard to make a weekend trip up north.

I also have some health issues that I wish I had family to be here to help.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM

603 posts, read 937,906 times
My husband moved to FL in 1998, I followed in 1999. We had a couple of friends in the area, but didn't get to see them often due to busy schedules. It took a little while, but we made many of our best friends there. We moved away from the area last year and miss it terribly.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:24 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 850,749 times
We moved here without knowing anyone. Very easy to make friends, some distant relatives have moved to the area, some close relatives are talking about moving, and we still (2 years later) have way more houseguests than I'd prefer.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 PM

272 posts, read 543,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonersgirl View Post
I couldn't think of the best way to phrase my post title!

To try and make a very long story short, my husband and I have been waiver back and forth between relocating to Raleigh and Florida for a couple of years. I've had a few opportunities come my way in the WPB area that the timing was never quite right on and that a while back we had a contract fall through on our house here in NY. We're now back on the market and contemplating our relocation.

We know we're relocating..we just can't decide where. We always thought it was Raleigh- we have friends there, has a great climate and it's half way between family here in NY and family in Juno Beach.

However, I lived in Tampa through my early and middle 20's and loved it. I'm familiar with the summers, the creatures and the transient nature of the state. still have a few friends (no longer close, but remained connected via Facebook) My husband and I love the beach and my kids much prefer the warm weather over any cold weather. So, because of all of this we're back to leaning towards Florida. My inlaws and my sister in law and her family live in Juno Beach on the east coast..so they'd be closer than they are now, but not around the corner.

Might be a silly question, but I'm wondering if you made a conscious decision to move your life to Florida (with going because a job sent you) without knowing anyone and started a new life and if you're happy with that decision? We're back and forth on moving to the side of the state we prefer, or going with the side of the state where we have family.

I know that strangers on a message boards cannot help us sort this out, but I am a collector of information and like to get any and all input about things I can!

Thank you!!!
Heather
I relocated to an area that I had lived in briefly in my 20's without knowing a soul. We planned for a year, saved, lined up jobs prior to getting out and just did it. Looking back it seems a little crazy, but at the time we weren't concerned at all. Although I did have one moment where I wondered what in the hell I was doing. We settled in quickly, made friends, learned our way around and loved it.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:55 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,119,926 times
We moved to Tampa without knowing anyone years ago. My DH made friends at work and I made friends in the neighborhood. Then I went to work and made friends at work.

Most people work so it is harder to make friends now a days. You can make friends as long as you go out and make an effort to meet other people.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,188,857 times
Actually...that is pretty true...my very good friends live in Europe and Canada!....and we all have kids, and difficulty traveling those lengths...its not like its cheap to go to Europe and back!
The "computer" is all we have for now!

PS I wanted to REP you, but it wouldn't let me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I've been here for three years. Didn't know anyone. I don't have time to meet anyone. It would cut into my CDF-posting time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay