Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 05:20 PM

18 posts, read 45,028 times

Advertisements

We recently relocated from Pinellas to Pasco County (Trinity area). Is there a big difference in the water in Pinellas vs. Pasco? I've lived in the Tampa Bay area for over 12 years now. Coming from the northeast, I did notice long ago that the water in FL was "different" - but I suppose I got used to it, so whether it is "hard" water or not, it's what I have been accustomed to for 12+ years.

The house we just bought has a water softener system. I hate it. I feel like I can't ever get soap off.... it makes my skin feel slippery, and worst of all, my face has broken out HORRIBLY. I look like I have acne! It has only been a problem since we moved in (just over a week ago). Also, we've been drinking the filtered water from the fridge, and whether this is related or not, I've had upset stomach issues since we moved in. So I'm very suspicious of the water system.

The previous owners said they had one put in because the water is so hard that it ruined their brand new dishwasher and caused something to break that had to be replaced (I have my doubts that it was the water that was the problem... I suspect it was more of a brand issue!)

Anyway.... my first question is: Are water softener systems really a good thing??? Is it truly necessary? What are the pros and cons of having one?

If I decide I hate this stupid thing enough that I don't want it, can I just not replace the salts and let it sit there? Or would that somehow be harmful to my water? Or is there adjustments I might be able to make to it so that the water isn't SO soft??
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:24 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,018 times
I hate soft water because as you mentioned, the soap never washes off.

Growing up, we moved to Pasco County in the early 80's, and lived off of a well. We eventually got a water softener because the water table dropped (due to Pinellas County over-pumping and lowering the water table) and water quality went down. I hated it and swore I would never have one again.

Other parts of the Country, the water is soft naturally, like in the Mountains of North Carolina.

It's a personal choice, I am against it though.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I hate soft water because as you mentioned, the soap never washes off.

Growing up, we moved to Pasco County in the early 80's, and lived off of a well. We eventually got a water softener because the water table dropped (due to Pinellas County over-pumping and lowering the water table) and water quality went down. I hated it and swore I would never have one again.

Other parts of the Country, the water is soft naturally, like in the Mountains of North Carolina.

It's a personal choice, I am against it though.
I hate the soft water also, for the same reason (you can't wash the soap off, always feel slimey, etc.) Incidentally, the "naturally soft mountain water" we had in NC was the same way, and I hated that also.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I hate the soft water also, for the same reason (you can't wash the soap off, always feel slimey, etc.) Incidentally, the "naturally soft mountain water" we had in NC was the same way, and I hated that also.
Yea, I used to spend summers up in the mountains of NC, still have family there in Cherokee and Macon county, the water tastes great, but hate the way the soap wont come off the skin

Old 07-08-2012, 08:35 PM

188 posts, read 331,942 times
We have super hard water here in Utah. It really does ruin things like dishwashers, hot water heaters etc. I'm totally used to having a water softener and wouldn't want it any other way. The house we'll be moving to has one, but it's not hooked up. I was going to hook it up right when we got there. Our landlord must feel the same as you guys.

Abba, I'm dying to hear how you like Trinity. Our moving truck comes in 7 days. Holy crap!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:46 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,070 times
My water softener went caput shortly after moving in. I can't wait to get soft water again. In fact, I am signing up with Blair Water tomorrow. No more spots all over my shower doors, no more spots on my cars, my appliances will last longer and will likely help improve DW's skin.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
My water softener went caput shortly after moving in. I can't wait to get soft water again. In fact, I am signing up with Blair Water tomorrow. No more spots all over my shower doors, no more spots on my cars, my appliances will last longer and will likely help improve DW's skin.
It's true, it is a catch 22 - the hard water ruins appliance and deposits crud everywhere - but the soft water leaves you feeling slimey. Is there an in-between?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 AM

35 posts, read 82,765 times
There is an in-between, and will save you some money. Try using a lot less soap and shampoo. Softer water creates more suds due to the lack of impurities in the water. You can also use less laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, car wash soap, etc....

Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacothedog View Post
There is an in-between, and will save you some money. Try using a lot less soap and shampoo. Softer water creates more suds due to the lack of impurities in the water. You can also use less laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, car wash soap, etc....
Soft water does not have less impurities it has a lower concentration of calcium and magnesium. Those ions are replaced with sodium ions during the softening process. It is the calcium that generally builds up on pipes and appliances that can make them not last as long.
Yes, you can use a little less soap but the slimey feeling some people dislike is still there.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 AM

74 posts, read 120,619 times
I don't mind the slick feeling after showering in my soft-water shower. After I dry off I feel no different than when I had hard water. My hair, (or what is left of it), feels softer, and I am not chapped and itchy. We drink bottled water so that is not a factor. It is worth it to protect the pipes and appliances of this beautiful house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay