Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:53 PM

477 posts, read 1,401,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
if the pay isn't sufficient, might be time to look for a change in careers or a change within the career (ie. get a Master's Degree Clinical Nurse Spec or Nurse Practitioner).
NP's don't necessarily make more money, after a few years of experience they may, but that isn't the point. Paying nurses what they are worth should be a priority if these hospitals want to recruit and retain the best. I'm also of the belief that nurses would take a sacrifice in pay for better staffing/working conditions. Im in the process of applying to a masters program now. It also seems that everyone that is going into nursing wants to become and NP, eventually there are going to be fewer bedside nurses than NP's.

8 patients to a nurse is unsafe and is a common ratio nationwide. There is no way that each patient is getting the care they deserve with a nurse spread out so thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,871,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
NP's don't necessarily make more money, after a few years of experience they may, but that isn't the point. Paying nurses what they are worth should be a priority if these hospitals want to recruit and retain the best. I'm also of the belief that nurses would take a sacrifice in pay for better staffing/working conditions. Im in the process of applying to a masters program now. It also seems that everyone that is going into nursing wants to become and NP, eventually there are going to be fewer bedside nurses than NP's.

8 patients to a nurse is unsafe and is a common ratio nationwide. There is no way that each patient is getting the care they deserve with a nurse spread out so thin.
Come to Alberta. We need nurses, and US citizens will have no problem getting a work visa.

Here is a link to current wages. Starting is $33.65/hour topping out at $44.17. Overtime is double time. Many, many nurses make over 6 figures... my ex was a hospital payroll clerk.

Standard is 4 patients/nurse. 8 is unheard of! The union (all nurses must belong) would never allow that.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,600,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Come to Alberta. We need nurses, and US citizens will have no problem getting a work visa.

Here is a link to current wages. Starting is $33.65/hour topping out at $44.17. Overtime is double time. Many, many nurses make over 6 figures... my ex was a hospital payroll clerk.

Standard is 4 patients/nurse. 8 is unheard of! The union (all nurses must belong) would never allow that.
Haha... You should see the patient load on LPNs in long-term-care. 30 patients to 1 nurse is pretty standard in Phoenix. A lot more people would be smoking and drinking if they knew what there "golden years" would be like.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 AM

477 posts, read 1,401,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Haha... You should see the patient load on LPNs in long-term-care. 30 patients to 1 nurse is pretty standard in Phoenix. A lot more people would be smoking and drinking if they knew what there "golden years" would be like.
I was an LPN before I was an RN, I've been there and done that too. It is hard work, but the patients are stable and for the most part, DNR. I agree with you though!!!!

As an ER nurse I have had up to 15 patients, with ICU holds and tele and vents in that mix.

Avb3, my friend is working with a Canadian nurse who is doing travel nursing here and she is appalled at the healthcare system here. A coworker of mine is trying to move to Canada and the licensing is taking a really long time. She can't wait to get out of here!!

9 out of 10 travelers that come to NYC (both out of state and Canadian) run home crying, especially in ER.

What I don't get is how in California they can adhere to the patient ratios set by law plus pay nurses a huge salary. Why at least the ratios arent done in every state is beyond me.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:07 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,835,384 times
^^^Wow, ur up early this AM.

Yes, traveler RN's definitely make a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay