U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2012, 08:24 AM
 
34 posts, read 74,143 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

Ok, I have recently moved from CT to Miami about 6 months ago and at first loved it being I am 23 young male but now it is getting played out. I don't go to miami beach any more which most of miamis night life. Brickell area is dominantly spanish, and I am looking to see if the Tampa area may be a better fit. I love the weather, beaches etc. But just over the whole house music/ dance clubs type deal miami has. I am wondering how the nightlife in tampa area competes with Miami and I am looking for just bars/ maybe one or two good dance clubs don't need 50 like miami and also cheaper cost of living. I also don't like the fact I am a minority here in northern dade county being white. Anyone who have lived in both places can comment on the comparison and nightlife in tampa/st. pete/clearwater area. I also do prefer the laid back lifestyle the west coast has to offer and the few cold snaps I wouldn't mind being from CT as long as they end quickly which south florida doesn't get
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Way up high
16,460 posts, read 22,487,422 times
Reputation: 19133
Born and raised in Miami and lived there for many years before it turned Spanish. I'm now living here in Tampa and Im 37. Don't get fooled as there is a lot of spanish up here but not as bad as down there. Nightlife is yet to be seen for me as I haven't ventured out much but plan on doing it soon...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 AM
 
34 posts, read 74,143 times
Reputation: 34
Yes, no white people in miami, I have no problem with hispanics but I just feel like there are no white people to associate with. I have went up to fort lauderdale which isn't bad but overall it is very congested down here and I am looking for a suburban area in tampa which you won't find in miami, that I can live in be about 10-15 mintutes from the nightlife which seems to be the SoHO district.. and everything is so crammed in here, don't know if tampa is like that as well. Anyone can comment on that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Any beach
25,135 posts, read 14,189,610 times
Reputation: 10393
Broward might be more your cup of tea,, I love Miami but Tampa is cheaper-- you did not mention work? or school? the culture is very different, it is very laid back and not metropolitan at all. If i could get a transfer, I'd ret to Miami in a heartbeat- but not willing to give up a solid job. Night life and social stuff is very limited and the biggest complaint- if you read the forum- is Tampa is not considered friendly- also West Palm is da bomb!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,235,107 times
Reputation: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportf190 View Post
Yes, no white people in miami, I have no problem with hispanics but I just feel like there are no white people to associate with. I have went up to fort lauderdale which isn't bad but overall it is very congested down here and I am looking for a suburban area in tampa which you won't find in miami, that I can live in be about 10-15 mintutes from the nightlife which seems to be the SoHO district.. and everything is so crammed in here, don't know if tampa is like that as well. Anyone can comment on that?
There are plenty of white LATINOs in miami.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM
 
8,283 posts, read 12,306,911 times
Reputation: 4960
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportf190 View Post
Ok, I have recently moved from CT to Miami about 6 months ago and at first loved it being I am 23 young male but now it is getting played out. I don't go to miami beach any more which most of miamis night life. Brickell area is dominantly spanish, and I am looking to see if the Tampa area may be a better fit. I love the weather, beaches etc. But just over the whole house music/ dance clubs type deal miami has. I am wondering how the nightlife in tampa area competes with Miami and I am looking for just bars/ maybe one or two good dance clubs don't need 50 like miami and also cheaper cost of living. I also don't like the fact I am a minority here in northern dade county being white. Anyone who have lived in both places can comment on the comparison and nightlife in tampa/st. pete/clearwater area. I also do prefer the laid back lifestyle the west coast has to offer and the few cold snaps I wouldn't mind being from CT as long as they end quickly which south florida doesn't get
Geez? what were you expecting for a "white" guy moving from Connecticut to a metro that has more people than your entire state?
Tampa seems to be more of your "fit" as in boring white suburban pool halls playing Bon Jovi every hour. Yes Miami can't compete with that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM
 
34 posts, read 74,143 times
Reputation: 34
no not looking for bon jovi type joints are not my thing. I just am looking for something that has sports bars/ pubs/ also dance clubs and I know tampa has a casino at the semionole hard rock, just not into how big it is down here in miami and the prices to go out. I know it is congested and it seems tampa is more spread out from what I can tell. Also looking to meet young hot women NOT the college crowd but somewhere between 21-29 and I think SoHo is your best bet in tampa?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 AM
 
2,727 posts, read 4,619,831 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Born and raised in Miami and lived there for many years before it turned Spanish. I'm now living here in Tampa and Im 37. Don't get fooled as there is a lot of spanish up here but not as bad as down there. Nightlife is yet to be seen for me as I haven't ventured out much but plan on doing it soon...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 12:17 PM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,180,787 times
Reputation: 2141
How about come up and spend the weekend here! Then you can decide for yourself if it works or not. I love Miami, wouldn't raise my kids there, but don't mind the 4 hour drive to see it once in a while.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Any beach
25,135 posts, read 14,189,610 times
Reputation: 10393
For kid raising its very very tough,,, most middle and high schools have over 3K students in each,,,Tampa does better in that department. But socially I think Tampa Bay is boring,,,all get out. Not at work or anywhere do people get together and do BBQ except with family or close freinds-In Miami,, we used to have BLOCK parties on new Years or 4th of July.. everybody bring their food and meet da neighbors! and I am talking nice neighborhoods,,, Everybody goes to Bayside and have concerts / food party on their lawns-- the open dance clubs you see 4 yrs olds dancing salsa with grandma. Once the Brazilians won the cup in soccer, and they literally had to close Miami Beach- Ocean Dr. down,,, 20 k people came out to dance Samba... it was awesome. What I miss most- is there you can be 60-70 and have a ball,,, here you are out to pasture. sigh,,,,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top