U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,683,417 times

Advertisements

Lots of threads on this subject already. I'll sum it up.

-Cheaper to buy a home with an existing pool
-Most of the pool homes down here have the pool encompassing a large percentage of their yard.
-Screened Pool (or a pool with a cage as it may be referred to) have a few purposes. It meets code for preventing access to your pool, keeps bugs and debris out and reduces the amount of UV Rays into the area. Also seems to require less maintenance of the water in my experience.
-Caged pools are significantly cooler in temperature than uncaged pools due to less UV Rays. This will reduce the length of your swimming season unless you have some sort of heater.
-You can use the supports of the cage to hang things, such as floaties, pool toys and cleaning equipment.
-The screen around the pool requires more maintenance. The screen must be pressure washed at least once a year (we do ours twice a year). The screen will become brittle with age and will eventually need to be replaced. Cleaning debris off the top of your cage is a pain.
-Citizens Insurance no longer covers screen enclosures in the event of a loss.

I have had both an enclosed and open pool. I prefer the caged pool, but do miss how much warmer our open pool was.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:37 AM

74 posts, read 114,313 times
I love our screened, caged pool even with the hole in a high and inaccessible place due, no doubt, to an errant golf shot from the course we are next to. I ponder this hole when I have my coffee every morning on the lanai and try to figure out how to eliminate or patch it. I know, somewhere in the recesses of my practical self, I will eventually have to call a screen guy rather than attempt a Tim Allen botch job.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM

2,932 posts, read 4,665,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't have a pool and never get mosquito bites at the community pool but it depends on what time you go to the pool....

If I would have a pool I would have a cage!!!!

Home owner insurances won't cover a cage anymore in case of damages....keep that in mind.
My cage is covered by insurance.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,683,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
My cage is covered by insurance.
In that case you are most definitely not covered by Citizens.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:16 PM

345 posts, read 928,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
In the search and gathering ideas and opinions.

Ideally we DO want a home with a nice pool. I prefer caged just because of mosquitos and leaves-but I do recognize uncaged can feel more 'free' and look nicer.

First off...if you found the perfect home, with a decent size yard and room to build a pool would that be worth it? OR are there so many options with pools it's best to just buy WITH the pool?

Also, if you find the perfect home with a great pool without the 'cage' does anyone have any idea what it costs to add one of those on average? Difficulty?
I would add a pool to a poolless house, but that's just because I love swimming. Seriously, it's the one type of exercise that doesn't feel like a chore to me.

Plus, if you have kids, a pool is a great thing for during the summer months. (Just make sure you have a safety gate surrounding it.)

My pool has a "cage". It probably does a decent job keeping the leaves and mosquitos out, although I don't have a lot of trees in my yard that shed leaves. It doesn't keep you free of the elements (duh!) and I learned the hard way a few weeks ago that it doesn't keep your pool from getting dirty. During a windstorm, the wind blew a ton of dirt from a nearby construction site into our yard and our pool turned green because of it. It took me about two weeks to get it back to normal.

Also, if you get a cage, I'd recommend a dark color. I have a white cage, which looks a lot better in the beginning but the humidity will turn it colored over the summer, thus necessitating a full scrubbing at least once a year.

But by all means, a pool is a great investment. Just for fun's sake alone.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 AM

2,932 posts, read 4,665,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
In that case you are most definitely not covered by Citizens.
Yes,you are most definitely correct.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM

922 posts, read 2,499,842 times
Some builder installed pools ( installed when the house was built) are a joke, not enough room to really swim. Nothing like the old days when pools were a huge rectangle with a slide and diving board.

If you buy a used house, if it has a pool you only pay a small increase compared to the real cost of adding a pool yourself.

If you have the money, nothing IMO beats building your own pool. That way you get what you want.

The pool we had when I was a kid didnt have a enclosure. It was very tough to keep clean and more critters get in.
I highly recommend an enclosure.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM

1,464 posts, read 2,882,018 times
Buy with a screened pool if bugs bother you. Its expensive to put a new pool in. Dont go for a huge garden, if you want to enjoy the pool you dont want to spend all your free time keeping the yard up, unless you can afford the yard service as well as pool upkeep We have 1/4 acre yard with pool and it's way too big, so much work to do all the time.
previous comment on screen is relevent but if you also buy in area with lots of oaks/trees, it does help keep out leaves, but then in high winds, you tend to get tears off flying bits of tree! its always a balancing act !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay