Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM

226 posts, read 339,520 times

Advertisements

In the search and gathering ideas and opinions.

Ideally we DO want a home with a nice pool. I prefer caged just because of mosquitos and leaves-but I do recognize uncaged can feel more 'free' and look nicer.

First off...if you found the perfect home, with a decent size yard and room to build a pool would that be worth it? OR are there so many options with pools it's best to just buy WITH the pool?

Also, if you find the perfect home with a great pool without the 'cage' does anyone have any idea what it costs to add one of those on average? Difficulty?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
In the search and gathering ideas and opinions.

Ideally we DO want a home with a nice pool. I prefer caged just because of mosquitos and leaves-but I do recognize uncaged can feel more 'free' and look nicer.

First off...if you found the perfect home, with a decent size yard and room to build a pool would that be worth it? OR are there so many options with pools it's best to just buy WITH the pool?

Also, if you find the perfect home with a great pool without the 'cage' does anyone have any idea what it costs to add one of those on average? Difficulty?
Usually cheaper to buy with an existing pool. The way things are now, you should look for a home built after 2005 with a pool. Most likely will already be caged and the house will be up current codes.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
The cage costs upwards to $10,000.......of course size matters, and depending on how much space you need covered it can go higher and lower... I'd buy it with the cage already there....now keep in mind that if the actual yard is tiny, putting a cage will feel claustrophobic...we saw many homes like that, and I hate it. Find a house that has enough yard to house that cage without suffocating you.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:44 PM

50 posts, read 90,927 times
Default Cage...

We have a pool and love it. I agree that it would be cheaper to buy a home that already has a pool. I love our cage. We went to the subdivision pool last week (my kids insisted. Why? I don't know), and I came home with a ton of mosquito bites. The cage is good for keeping bugs out. Also, we don't have to skim the pool as often...

Old 07-10-2012, 01:59 PM

226 posts, read 339,520 times
Oh yeah I've been scrolling pics and I hate the claustrophobic yards also!!! Right now in GA I have a very big deep fenced in yard..it doesn't have to be AS big but I do like enough green space outside of caged/pool to not feel boxed in. I have a cat and dog so we must have a fenced in yard and they need room to roam and play.

In addition I really enjoy gardening and planting stuff so I need room to do that also, thanks all for the tips!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM

We like going to the community pool because the kids(and us) get to meet/make new friends, its more for "social" purposes than anything else, but it also saves us a LOAD of money in maintenance! We had pools before, and the cost can be restrictive! Obviously this is another "why" ppl have a hard time making friends. We haven't had an issue with mosquitoes at our pool.

Just remember that if you put a pool in yourself you have to leave 5 feet from the izments in the back of the back yard. That's mandatory....meaning you can't have the pool immediately next to the back yard fence, or lot line if there isn't a fence. So again, look for a larger back yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmac View Post
We have a pool and love it. I agree that it would be cheaper to buy a home that already has a pool. I love our cage. We went to the subdivision pool last week (my kids insisted. Why? I don't know), and I came home with a ton of mosquito bites. The cage is good for keeping bugs out. Also, we don't have to skim the pool as often...

Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM

When I was house hunting several years ago I can't tell you how many homes I've seen with squeezed in pools; to the point where you'd open the sliding door and have 2 feet to walk on! Just terrible set up, and very claustrophobic, there wasn't even room to put in a baby fence. I kind of like not having a pool anymore because I remember hating having to look at it, and maintain it for 6 months without using it because it was too cold, and too expensive to heat. Plus, inside the cage it does get warmer...not that much breeze is going through that screen, I have my FIL's house in SoFla to compare, his doesn't have a screen and the difference is night and day. But of course with that comes the "more" cleaning if you happen to have many trees around it like he does.

So, I am kinda 50/50 on the whole thing. But would never buy a house that didn't have enough room for both, pool and yard for the kids to run around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
Oh yeah I've been scrolling pics and I hate the claustrophobic yards also!!! Right now in GA I have a very big deep fenced in yard..it doesn't have to be AS big but I do like enough green space outside of caged/pool to not feel boxed in. I have a cat and dog so we must have a fenced in yard and they need room to roam and play.

In addition I really enjoy gardening and planting stuff so I need room to do that also, thanks all for the tips!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 PM

50 posts, read 90,927 times
Cost hasn't been bad at akk. IMO...worth it! We've actually made a lot of friends, as the neighborhood kids come over quite often. Our neighborhood pool has been closed the past few days because someone pooped in it, and it was quite messy. Ick...
I guess it's all in what you are looking for. My kids are 11 & 13, and we really don't need a big yard. We live on a cul de sac, and the kids usually play out there. Kickball, soccer...you name it. If you want a large yard and a pool, chances are you are going to pay a premium for it. The subdivision close to ours has 1/2 acre lots, so you can have a pool and a back yard.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:53 PM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times
Screened pool is the best!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I don't have a pool and never get mosquito bites at the community pool but it depends on what time you go to the pool....

If I would have a pool I would have a cage!!!!

Home owner insurances won't cover a cage anymore in case of damages....keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay