Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 AM

633 posts, read 1,012,185 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Is all of Hillsborough County and Polk County in a flood plain?

Do you have to pay high premiums for flood insurance along with homeowners?

Are there any areas/zipcodes, towns, etc., that are not in a flood zone?

I've been on a few websites, but can't read the maps...

And now the cockroaches... if you have your home treated monthly, and take out the trash constantly and are generally clean, why would you have them?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:41 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,201 times
Hillsborough county has a website that allows you to type in the address and lets you know the flood map for you. I assume polk should have one too. There are different letters associated to an area indicating different flood levels. You pay based on your house value (protection level), elevation, source of flood and so on. We pay somewhere $600/year, IIRC. I will try to find that website for you........

Old 07-15-2012, 12:41 PM

How about some replies folks? I see that my post has been viewed...

Old 07-15-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Hillsborough county has a website that allows you to type in the address and lets you know the flood map for you. I assume polk should have one too. There are different letters associated to an area indicating different flood levels. You pay based on your house value (protection level), elevation, source of flood and so on. We pay somewhere $600/year, IIRC. I will try to find that website for you........

THANK YOU! I have not been on that site yet. Appreciate it very much!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:59 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,007,352 times
Floodsmart | Flood Insurance | Flood Maps | Flood Risk | Flood Information

On the bottom you put your adress it will give you your letter rating.
Insurance is not too terrible, depending on where you are. As far as roaches, They are outside doesnt matter how clean your house is, I mean obviously leaving food out will probably making them congregate, not doing the dishes that kind of stuff, but even if you clean your house they will come in unless you fumigate outside the house and spray the doorways, 3 years ago i moved into a rental and didnt occupy for a month, the place had a real bad roach problem but fumigating and roach traps they were gone in the first week.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
How about some replies folks? I see that my post has been viewed...
Have you used the forum search to read up on what has been discussed on the subject?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 PM

30,421 posts, read 21,228,470 times
I never have my house treated for roaches and never have any.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,201 times
here you go.....

Explanation of terms associated with flood is here. You need to first understand different terms that are used for flood level definition and the protection behind it. a bit of hydrology too .

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/index.aspx?NID=1797

Then you have different ways getting the information that you are looking here and the explanation of how to use the website that I earlier commented

http://gisweb.hillsboroughcounty.org...emapviewer.pdf

here is the website that will let you check about the specific are that you want to live

GIS (Geographic Information Systems) - Hillsborough County, FL.

I believe you can do the same with polk county too.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:05 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,775 times
The roach thing depends on the house and the foliage around the house. I have an old house and LOTS of mature trees and I see roaches occasionally outside, in summer. Inside I see them dead about once a month, in summer. I have very good pest control pest control. And I am OCD about cleaning.

Roaches love mature trees, shady areas that stay wet, wood mulch, old houses. That describes my house perfectly.

Also, some years are worse than others.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:38 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
If you treat the yard with pest control and you have your house reasonable clean than there is no reason for any kind of roaches. One of the worst ones are german roaches and hard to get rid off and usually brought over here when people move.

You can see on the MLS and the proeprty records if a property is in need of flood insurance.

Flood insurance is pretty high and the deductables are high too so you better buy outside a flood zone unless you prefer a certain property...

Many people try to avoid any property in flood zone which may or may not be reasonable but when you have to pay such a high premium people tend to choose not to buy these type of houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay