Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
It was agreed that we would NOT show it while renting it. It is NOT specified in the lease that they have to show it unless agreed upon prior to signing the lease, which we never agreed to since they told us they won't list it until after we move out. However, I have zero issue with the "showing part", the house shows great; what I have an issue with is how it has been handled so far. They have to give us 24 hours notice MINIMUM, and this person calls me now for 20 minutes later, and when I tell her that is not possible she starts discussing my schedule as if it was any of her business, and tells me how my schedule doesn't matter because "according to her" I have to sit around for weeks, not going anywhere, not taking my kids to their appointments, (speech/behavior/dentist), appointments that took weeks to schedule and cannot be canceled, etc etc, because she "might" have a showing!!!! VERY RUDE. She goes: "Ohh well how come you're gong to be at the dentist at 5:30pm! and I'm like, "I won't be, but I will be on my way home, because I don't own a helicopter to fly over the rush hour traffic"!!!!!!!! and more insulting remarks about our stuff, as in she asked me "what do we have of value"!!!!!!!!!?
when there was supposed to be a showing but no realtor was going to come, they were going to give the potential buyer the code for the lock box! CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT? I told her what do I have of value? Hmmm Gee my life? my kids lives? how can you suggest someone just pops in, how do I know who they are????????????? and all sorts of things in these lines.......VERY unprofessional, and RUDE. I actually had to ask my husband to put his foot down with her! There is no communication, and I am telling you, our former RE would have NEVER acted this way. NEVER. But sadly they're not the listing agent.

Whatever...
You need to complain to her broker or boss! I can't believe there is a lockbox on your house - this should be by appointment only, and made well in advance. I would go to their office and make a stink if it were me, you have every right to be upset! If anything happens to you, your family or anything in your home you can and should hold them responsible! I never heard of anyone giving a buyer a code for a lockbox on an occupied home and no realtor would be accompanying. It's bad enough when realtors show up and leave doors opened/unlocked or let pets out, etc. Get them to take that lockbox off until you move OUT of that house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
When I sold my Orlando house it had a lock box on the door. The real estate fellow would call me and ask if we were home. If we were we were asked to leave for 1/2 hour or so in order for him to show the house. When we werent home, he had the lockbox combo as did any other agents who were showing the listing.

I know the lock box code thing happens. A new rule was put in place by the National Association of Realtor in their Standards and practices, article 3-9, effecting on 1/1/10

"REALTORS shall not provide access to listed property on terms other than those established by the owner or the listing broker."

So anybody doing that today is in major violation of the S&P of the NAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You need to complain to her broker or boss! I can't believe there is a lockbox on your house - this should be by appointment only, and made well in advance. I would go to their office and make a stink if it were me, you have every right to be upset! If anything happens to you, your family or anything in your home you can and should hold them responsible! I never heard of anyone giving a buyer a code for a lockbox on an occupied home and no realtor would be accompanying. It's bad enough when realtors show up and leave doors opened/unlocked or let pets out, etc. Get them to take that lockbox off until you move OUT of that house!

Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
The lease controls the situation. Whatever the lease says goes.

Where do you have it in the lease that they have to give 24 hours notice? You don't have to sit around at all. The lockbox resolves the issue of tenant not being home at the time of a showing.

Again, you are a tenant and the landlord has certain rights once you have notified them that you are going to vacate the premises or not renew your lease.

Quote:
It was agreed that we would NOT show it while renting it. It is NOT specified in the lease that they have to show it unless agreed upon prior to signing the lease, which we never agreed to since they told us they won't list it until after we move out. However, I have zero issue with the "showing part", the house shows great; what I have an issue with is how it has been handled so far. They have to give us 24 hours notice MINIMUM, and this person calls me now for 20 minutes later, and when I tell her that is not possible she starts discussing my schedule as if it was any of her business, and tells me how my schedule doesn't matter because "according to her" I have to sit around for weeks, not going anywhere, not taking my kids to their appointments, (speech/behavior/dentist), appointments that took weeks to schedule and cannot be canceled, etc etc, because she "might" have a showing!!!! VERY RUDE. She goes: "Ohh well how come you're gong to be at the dentist at 5:30pm! and I'm like, "I won't be, but I will be on my way home, because I don't own a helicopter to fly over the rush hour traffic"!!!!!!!! and more insulting remarks about our stuff, as in she asked me "what do we have of value"!!!!!!!!!?
when there was supposed to be a showing but no realtor was going to come, they were going to give the potential buyer the code for the lock box! CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT? I told her what do I have of value? Hmmm Gee my life? my kids lives? how can you suggest someone just pops in, how do I know who they are????????????? and all sorts of things in these lines.......VERY unprofessional, and RUDE. I actually had to ask my husband to put his foot down with her! There is no communication, and I am telling you, our former RE would have NEVER acted this way. NEVER. But sadly they're not the listing agent.

Whatever...

Old 07-23-2012, 08:27 AM

272 posts, read 607,047 times
There are plenty of agents, but that doesn't mean they are all your competition. In fact as a percentage I'd say very few are.

How much of a go-getter are you? How pro-active are you? How is your customer service? Are you prepared to work 7 days a week if needed? Willing to work evenings and weekends? Are you willing to put hours into prospecting to find clients? Do you get discouraged easily or do you push harder?

I worked as a RE investor for years before getting my license. I dealt with no calls, no shows, general rudeness and even once had a realtor demand I pay him 30 dollars because I "Spammed" him (I emailed a link to one of my homes and offered 4% commission if they brought a buyer, horrible I know.)

If you're positive, innovative, willing to prospect like crazy in the beginning, understand the fundamentals of customer service (which is a no brainer really), good at budgeting your costs/energy then that's a great start. There are many other aspects that you will learn as you go along. I also recommend spending a little bit of money and get a decent camera. I have a professional photographer (a former illustrator for the St. Pete times for 20 years) for all my homes who does amazing work, but if I didn't have him I'd pay money and learn to take a good shot. IMO there is no excuse for dark cell phone pictures and I see them on 500k listings.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:

Whatever...
She is not allowed to put a lockbox on the door without your permission. Call her broker and file a complaint and have it removed!

Your schedule is not her business but you have to provide a reasonable time to show the house. We never tell a tenant that we won't show the house until they have moved out and by law tenants have to comply but there is a reasonable time frame to be notified.

We had a tenant who didn't comply with any showings and money was deducted from the security deposit and tenants were notified about that prior to their move out by certified mail to comply or lose money...they choose the last option.

Florida tenant/landlord law is very clear about showings and inspections. Our contract doesn't have the showings listed in the contract but we have in the contract that we and the tenants have to comply with Fl. law so please check your contract, perhaps you have a similar Fl realtor lease contract.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
They won't take it off.

I know that, but they simply won't take it off. I told you, this woman a very rude unprofessional b***h.

I told you, I don't have a problem with the showings, I have a problem with her asking me to be "available" all of the sudden, which I can't, because I have work to do too, errands to run, 3 kids, and I usually drive all day, all over Tampa Bay, and outside of it for photo shoots etc. The other day she scheduled a showing and then 20 minutes before the showing she calls me to tell me that it is raining..........and to post pone it for another day! I told her that's not possible because I have other things scheduled, and I already squeezed in that time for her. And BTW, giving me the excuse of RAIN in FLORIDA is the dumbest thing in the world! I drive in rain all the time, no complaints.

She has to give me 24 hours MINIMUM notice BEFORE a showing. So far, she hasn't done that, and I told her that unless I get at least 24 hours, there isn't going to be a showing at all. She is being disrespectful of MY lease agreement, and our family purposely. My property manager is the one who's keep calling me to apologize for her behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
She is not allowed to put a lockbox on the door without your permission. Call her broker and file a complaint and have it removed!

Your schedule is not her business but you have to provide a reasonable time to show the house. We never tell a tenant that we won't show the house until they have moved out and by law tenants have to comply but there is a reasonable time frame to be notified.

We had a tenant who didn't comply with any showings and money was deducted from the security deposit and tenants were notified about that prior to their move out by certified mail to comply or lose money...they choose the last option.

Florida tenant/landlord law is very clear about showings and inspections. Our contract doesn't have the showings listed in the contract but we have in the contract that we and the tenants have to comply with Fl. law so please check your contract, perhaps you have a similar Fl realtor lease contract.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
I would tell her the next time she calls that you WILL NOT ALLOW HER IN without the proper 24 hour notice. If she comes on the property, walk out and meet her clients and tell them 'Sorry, but you can't allow her in because of XXXXX". But it back on her, then tell her broker what she did, and leave it at that. If you allow her to break the clause in your lease, that is up to you. But, you know that you don't have to.
She may in fact be a B**ch, or she may be disorganized, not thoughtful, or may have a client that just flew in and wants to see that specific home. If she is the listing Agent, she is going to get each of her clients over there to see to get both sides of the sale.
Maybe she is a b**ch to you because you treat her so polite and are willing to bend over backwards for her to show the house? NAHH...can't be that one!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
LOL....

No, I told her flat out she can have her showings as long as she gives me a MINIMUM of 24 hours. Told her that from day one, but also from day one she tried to push it with me, and I have been very polite with her in return because I don't need animosity of this sort; however, she is not able to be a reasonable individual, and when she started attacking me personally and make comments like "what do I have of value" & "how come I have a schedule"! that sealed it for me regarding of what kind of individual she is...and every time she called I told her that 24 hours from that point she can have a showing. She does not understand that we have a lease that did not include "showings", and we are literally just being nice about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I would tell her the next time she calls that you WILL NOT ALLOW HER IN without the proper 24 hour notice. If she comes on the property, walk out and meet her clients and tell them 'Sorry, but you can't allow her in because of XXXXX". But it back on her, then tell her broker what she did, and leave it at that. If you allow her to break the clause in your lease, that is up to you. But, you know that you don't have to.
She may in fact be a B**ch, or she may be disorganized, not thoughtful, or may have a client that just flew in and wants to see that specific home. If she is the listing Agent, she is going to get each of her clients over there to see to get both sides of the sale.
Maybe she is a b**ch to you because you treat her so polite and are willing to bend over backwards for her to show the house? NAHH...can't be that one!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 AM

700 posts, read 1,819,215 times
Would it be possible to change the deadbolt or put a blind deadbolt on the inside of the door and go out another way? This way the lockbox issue would be null. Maybe one of those anti break in bars against the door knob from the inside and leave through another location?

Some realtors are beyond great! Some are a very bad example of professionals. In our book the 'code' means nothing. Friends of ours had 2 cats in the basement and during the open house they stayed there. Realtor was told to keep the front door shut. Well..... They propped it open. Kittys gone into the woods and never seen again. Realtor was fired that day. Owners distraught. Like kittys or not, could have been a dog, etc.

When selling our house, we were there before the showings, and after the showings. Many realtors left doors open, unlocked, etc. Can't trust 'em! We had a great buyers agent here in SW fl. What a dream when you find a good one!

Hope this nightmare is over soon.

Re reading the post, I'd go with an anti break in bar from Wally World. Cheap insurance nobody will be getting in w/o notice.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
I think I would just have a very hard time allowing them to come in. I think I would purposely wait for her to arrive with her Client and tell the people wanting to see the house "I don't want you taking this the wrong way, but I am not going to allow you to come in. Your Agent doesn't follow the law in bringing you hear. But I will however make an exception if you find another Real Estate Agent. Call me directly, bring that other Agent here to show you the home, and you are more than welcome to come in".

That should get her atttention! Make her lose clients!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay