Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 PM

149 posts, read 196,191 times

Advertisements

It looks like I will be needing to add 2FL to the end of my screen name early next year so I'd like to start out with some basic questions. What are the best places to live north, northwest and west of TIA within 20 to 30 minutes drive of TIA. Factor in safety, cleanliness, shopping, dining. Please indicate the approximate price range for a 3 bed, 2 bath single story 2,000 to 2,500 sq ft single family house with a pool in the preferred areas. I realize this is somewhat broad but this is just a starting point. I'd love to hear the pros and cons. Best guess if prices in these areas will increase, decrease or remain about the same next year? Thx much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,789,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
It looks like I will be needing to add 2FL to the end of my screen name early next year so I'd like to start out with some basic questions. What are the best places to live north, northwest and west of TIA within 20 to 30 minutes drive of TIA. Factor in safety, cleanliness, shopping, dining. Please indicate the approximate price range for a 3 bed, 2 bath single story 2,000 to 2,500 sq ft single family house with a pool in the preferred areas. I realize this is somewhat broad but this is just a starting point. I'd love to hear the pros and cons. Best guess if prices in these areas will increase, decrease or remain about the same next year? Thx much.
Safety Harbor is your ideal spot to the west. It's safe, clean, and has excellent shopping and dining. We LOVE it there! Definitely our favorite spot in which to live. 3 bedroom, 2 bath pool homes with the square footage you indicated aren't cheap, though. You can expect to pay at least 300K and above for that sort of home in Safety Harbor, unless you are willing to purchase one near a busy road or that needs a lot of repairs. Be prepared to make an offer quickly, too … homes here go VERY fast! Prices have been going up in Safety Harbor. At the beginning of the year, you could have gotten the kind of home you mentioned for 200K. Now they are being listed and sold for far more than that. It's totally nuts!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:54 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,247,251 times
Odessa, Lutz (33556, 33558 zip codes) have what you're looking for North, and North West. From there you have Veterans (Toll) that takes you straight to TIA in 20 minutes or less depending on what time you go. There are a lot of short sales up here, which will keep your price range around $200k. If its not a short sale, it will sell in less than a week up here.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:14 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,956,406 times
In terms of 9-5 driving from TPA, carrolwood is as far north as you can go in 20-30 min, and that's depending on the day, westchase ,maybe oldsmar. Lutz, Odessa, Cheval are 20+ miles away, thats 20 min @5am on a saturday. The heading north @ afternoon rush hour is no fun.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Carrollwood doesn't have easy access to Veterans, unless you live closer to Odessa towards the end of Ehrlich Rd, and if not you'll be stuck having to take Dale Mabry which will make that drive closer to 35/45 minutes at rush hour. From Van Dyke Rd in Lutz it takes me around 20 minutes to get to International Plaza mall which is passed TIA. It can take longer at rush hour because of the Waters exit (or an accident), but I drive on Veterans few minutes after the morning rush hour, and it is the fastest route to Westshore. If you "manage" your commute, and leave slightly earlier, or slightly later you won't have many issues on Veterans.

Of course Westchase is the CLOSEST, and also South Tampa/Westshore Blvd Between Kennedy & Gandy. Passed Gandy going south is not that nice anymore.
PS The thing with living in Pinnellas (Clearwater, Safety Harbor etc) is that you always have to take the bridge over...and if there's an accident, you have nowhere to go. Inland you have side roads you can take avoid the congestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
In terms of 9-5 driving from TPA, carrolwood is as far north as you can go in 20-30 min, and that's depending on the day, westchase ,maybe oldsmar. Lutz, Odessa, Cheval are 20+ miles away, thats 20 min @5am on a saturday. The heading north @ afternoon rush hour is no fun.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,789,264 times
You know, I was going to say Carrollwood for north, but then I remembered the horrendous traffic on Dale Mabry! I guess it would depend on WHERE the OP decided to live in Carrollwood that would make the difference.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,956,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Carrollwood doesn't have easy access to Veterans, unless you live closer to Odessa towards the end of Ehrlich Rd, and if not you'll be stuck having to take Dale Mabry which will make that drive closer to 35/45 minutes at rush hour. From Van Dyke Rd in Lutz it takes me around 20 minutes to get to International Plaza mall which is passed TIA. It can take longer at rush hour because of the Waters exit (or an accident), but I drive on Veterans few minutes after the morning rush hour, and it is the fastest route to Westshore. If you "manage" your commute, and leave slightly earlier, or slightly later you won't have many issues on Veterans.

Of course Westchase is the CLOSEST, and also South Tampa/Westshore Blvd Between Kennedy & Gandy. Passed Gandy going south is not that nice anymore.
PS The thing with living in Pinnellas (Clearwater, Safety Harbor etc) is that you always have to take the bridge over...and if there's an accident, you have nowhere to go. Inland you have side roads you can take avoid the congestion.
Certainly I would defer to people that live there and do the commute on a regular basis, the times I had to go to Lutz up the veterans It took a long time, it seem to me that the toll booth was one of the culprits, but there just a lot of volume going that way. It did clear up a bit after the last Carrolwood exit. Maybe I just had bad luck.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM

The Waters exit/toll is the worst during rush hour. Either people don't have exact change, or I don't know. I avoid it during that time, but if I wait a few minutes, I have no issues. Veterans is a speed trap though, so, even if its not busy, you still can't go passed 65 which is the posted speed limit, which will affect your overall "time" too. (Not that I didn't see people doing 80/85 on it)! But there are always a few cops hiding on the middle grass area waiting for those "geniuses"! LOL I got stuck on it once too at 5:15pm, but as soon as I passed Waters, the traffic started moving just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Certainly I would defer to people that live there and do the commute on a regular basis, the times I had to go to Lutz up the veterans It took a long time, it seem to me that the toll booth was one of the culprits, but there just a lot of volume going that way. It did clear up a bit after the last Carrolwood exit. Maybe I just had bad luck.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 AM

35,336 posts, read 20,692,861 times
Clearwater! Seminole- Largo... normally 20 min drive from belcher n 60 to TIA itself and a nice ride on causeway... always want to stop n go fishing instead of going to work lol.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:05 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,052,981 times
What is your price range? Are you renting or buying? What are your work hours? Do you like 'new' or older homes or cookie cutter homes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay