Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM

16 posts, read 56,311 times

Advertisements

Considering renting (...or buying) a house in Tampa. Do you guys have any idea whether the following neighborhoods are good or not so good?
ISLAND WATER WAY APOLLO BEACH 33572
CYPRESS HARBOR DR GIBSONTON 33534

What kind of house can one expect to buy in Tampa for 100K? Is it too low for a good neighborhood?

How much does it cost to rent a 2-3 bdrm house in the above-mentioned areas? 1200/mo? Less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 04:30 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
realtor.com
trulia.com

Apollo Beach Community Info - crime statistics, demographics, and census data - Trulia.com

I wouldn't buy a house in either those locations. Apollo Beach is nicer by the water where the expensive homes are, but there isn't much to do around there, so you'll always have to travel to Tampa or St Pete for entertainment etc. & Gibsonton sucks. Both are far far away from everything, and IMO 100k is not going to buy something nice in a good area. BUT, "What" is a "good area" to you? is the real question.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 PM

272 posts, read 606,904 times
It's possible to do in Brandon or Riverview. A quick search in those areas show 31 matches for 3/2 single family homes at 100k or less.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 PM

181 posts, read 356,998 times
Both of those are in safe but not "nice" areas. The Apollo Beach address is better, Gibsonton mostly consist of a WalMart and few local more run down businesses off of Hwy 41 in an industrial area. Apollo Beach has had some newer development and has choices for stores, restaraunts and such that I would patron. Both are in pretty typical middle class nieghborhoods where the houses are kept up and mid-size (1000-2000sf). A 100k is still pretty low, by my standards, I would want about $130k, unless I could be aggressive enough to beat the rental companies and wait out a short sale. My parents just short sold there 5yr old, 1800sf home in an "A school district" in Covington Park for $84k but to a rental company. I had a friend doing a short sale and they had a rental company on their tail as well. So, those prices are still out there, but hard to get for the non-professional buyer. Also, the townhomes are in the $100k and under range for 3/2 and rentable later... especially with the mall and the new Community College campus off the Sun City exit. What are you look for in a neighborhood? It is pretty family centered out here, soccer fields and playgrounds, a starbucks I guess, but you'd have to drive 20 min to a movie theatre, comedy club or something that resembled night life.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 PM

38 posts, read 69,611 times
100k may not be enufff , be cautious , most of brandon,riverview is HOA or deed restricted..These orgs are preditory , because they have been 'short' for so long

Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
I'm unfamiliar with those neighborhoods in Tampa. There's one with that name in Apollo Beach (about 45 mins from where I live) and one in Gibsonton (no idea how far from where I live), but neither is in Tampa.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,880 times
resdoftampa, you really seem to be down on the HOA communities. Tell us why? I have seen three of your posts over the last 24 hours all saying the same thing. I would like you to come up to my area and I will show you the difference between what an HOA does and what not having an HOA does. I pay about 500 per year. But I will drive you less than 2 miles and show you an area that does not have an HOA, but has old abondoned vehicles in the yard, people that need a Hay Bailer to farm there yard, etc...
For my 500 per year, I have a gate that is locked in the evening, I have lighted streets to walk 24 hours a day, I have people that are required to maintain thier yard, I have a few small parks that always have the grass cut and the garbage thown out, etc... It looks nice. There are a few rules we have to follow, which I read before I moved in here. Nothing major, nothing that makes me live any differently.

So I am very curious as to why you hate them?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 19,809 times
Check out the new development named Waterset in Apollo Beach. It will soon have 9 model homes . It is the largest new development in the Tampa area and located off Big Bend near 41. The developer, Newland Homes out of San Diego, must be impressed with Apollo Beach, notwithstanding, the few negative posts you see on this forum.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:14 PM

38 posts, read 69,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
resdoftampa, you really seem to be down on the HOA communities. Tell us why? I have seen three of your posts over the last 24 hours all saying the same thing. I would like you to come up to my area and I will show you the difference between what an HOA does and what not having an HOA does. I pay about 500 per year. But I will drive you less than 2 miles and show you an area that does not have an HOA, but has old abondoned vehicles in the yard, people that need a Hay Bailer to farm there yard, etc...
For my 500 per year, I have a gate that is locked in the evening, I have lighted streets to walk 24 hours a day, I have people that are required to maintain thier yard, I have a few small parks that always have the grass cut and the garbage thown out, etc... It looks nice. There are a few rules we have to follow, which I read before I moved in here. Nothing major, nothing that makes me live any differently.

So I am very curious as to why you hate them?
I agree there a few non HOA n/hoods that are decent , ie withour cars on blocks etc ..However the search is well worth it ,HOA serve little to no purpose in 'retaining value' I paid 1200 per year for ten years thats 12k , it cost thousands to upkeep 'st augustine lawn ' ....(weed) ..,.Thousands in fines for an over zealous manager ,,Parking etc ..I sold my HOA house last month ...for 12k over what i paid it ...Well that was 25k .capital gains .. (no actaul profit)I searched far and wide for a house without any restrictions,for three years ...Yes my nieghbor fails to cut his lawn regularly ...However i dont care , its an acre away ..I wont trade my non/rest home or any cookie cutter home anyday soon..

Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,880 times
Okay, I was just wondering. Thanks for responding. I agree, HOA's are not for everyone and it is a choice. I would say I do feel they help maintain property values however. Glad it worked out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay