Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:00 PM

16 posts, read 15,928 times

Advertisements

Wow, according to Algia's map I live in a very ugly part of the city. You put the whole area of Seminole Heights in your ugly category. It's a historical neighborhood & has a lot of beautiful houses. A lot of the areas you recommend are mostly filled with cookie cutter subdivisions. I'm not saying that's a bad thing just a little boring. To each his own I guess. InsaneTraveIer- I'm curious, how is USF removed from the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezycatt View Post
Wow, according to Algia's map I live in a very ugly part of the city. You put the whole area of Seminole Heights in your ugly category. It's a historical neighborhood & has a lot of beautiful houses. A lot of the areas you recommend are mostly filled with cookie cutter subdivisions. I'm not saying that's a bad thing just a little boring. To each his own I guess. InsaneTraveIer- I'm curious, how is USF removed from the city?
I just meant that USF is on the far fringes of the city.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I know that area has a lot of original Craftsman style homes, the problem is that a lot of them have been left in complete ruin! I was more so referring to the occupants of those areas making it "ugly"! Shootings & all!

Quote:

Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I know that area has a lot of original Craftsman style homes, the problem is that a lot of them have been left in complete ruin! I was more so referring to the occupants of those areas making it "ugly"! Shootings & all!
I don't think we're even talking about the same area because most of the homes in Seminole Heights are not in ruin. I'm thinking of the large 2 & 3 story homes off of Central between Hanna & Hillsborough. I doubt there are a lot of shootings over there. It's not exactly gang land. I'm the first to admit that Tampa has some rough neighborhoods with rundown houses but SH is not one of them. I actually think most of Tampa is pretty ugly. Just out curiosity, what area do you live in? Avila? Am I close?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:23 PM

I don't think "all of Tampa" is ugly! There are plenty of areas in South Tampa with lost of character...and no, we don't live in Avila...we used to live in Cheval...but the crowd there is just as undesirable as it is on some of the ugly areas on my map! LOL Sadly!

I know there are small patches of "nice" down there, the problem is that the UGLY is too close for my taste.

Quote:
I don't think we're even talking about the same area because most of the homes in Seminole Heights are not in ruin. I'm thinking of the large 2 & 3 story homes off of Central between Hanna & Hillsborough. I doubt there are a lot of shootings over there. It's not exactly gang land. I'm the first to admit that Tampa has some rough neighborhoods with rundown houses but SH is not one of them. I actually think most of Tampa is pretty ugly. Just out curiosity, what area do you live in? Avila? Am I close?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Perception really is everything. If you think SH is ugly, you would be terrified of my neighborhood. To me it's pretty nice compared to other parts of the city. Cheval might as well be on another planet because that's not my reality or most other residents of Tampa. Back to the topic, stick to the areas where rent is over $1500 & you'll be fine. No scary people & "A" schools.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,993 times
Quote:
I live in Seminole Heights and love it. I would not want to live anywhere else in Tampa. But if I try recommending that someone on city-data look at houses in Seminole Heights, people always act like it is a war zone. Okay, that's fine if that's your opinion, but I think it is unreasonable to tell everyone who wans an older house to move to South Tampa, because not everyone can afford to live there.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:58 PM

82 posts, read 207,374 times
@Algia,

Sorry for the delay. I'm traveling again and didn't get time to log on. So, areas I've been concentrating on are either up north in the Wesley chapel/Land o Lakes/Lutz area, or near the top of the bay in Westchase/Safety harbor/Oldsmar/Highland Lakes is it?

Just can't decide if my wife and 3 year old will be bored up in gated communities up north or will they be happier with more hustle and bustle near the bay. Safety and schools are #1 regardless of the area though. I want a place where they can be out during the day and during dusk without being "scared".

Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 AM

This is why I always tell ppl to VISIT, spend some time around places not just "drive by". Like you said, you like living there, and are used to it, others coming from different, or more secluded environments might hate it.

Carrollwood is filled with older homes...All of Carrollwood Village is filled with older homes...very pretty homes too. Its not just South Tampa that has older homes, I never said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
I live in Seminole Heights and love it. I would not want to live anywhere else in Tampa. But if I try recommending that someone on city-data look at houses in Seminole Heights, people always act like it is a war zone. Okay, that's fine if that's your opinion, but I think it is unreasonable to tell everyone who wans an older house to move to South Tampa, because not everyone can afford to live there.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Perception really is everything. If you think SH is ugly, you would be terrified of my neighborhood. To me it's pretty nice compared to other parts of the city. Cheval might as well be on another planet because that's not my reality or most other residents of Tampa. Back to the topic, stick to the areas where rent is over $1500 & you'll be fine. No scary people & "A" schools.
I think you can find plenty of good options for under 1200 for a 3 br or 900/1k for a 2 br, too many to list, but if you are talking about inside the city of tampa, not the suburbs then its a little harder if you want to be in a A rated school, but you still have Oakford Park, nothing wrong with Oakford Park and you get the same schools as if you were living in Bayshore/new suburb/parkland states. Also North Bon Air same schools as beach park. Then in South Tampa south of Gandy, ballast point has good schools is a nice inexpensive area.

I do agree a lot of the posts classify decent areas as unsafe. i think there is a chasm between not pretty and unsafe, huge difference between weeds in the lawn, cars in the lawn, 6 cars in the driveway, blue tarps on the roof and unsafe. MY ex-wife lives in West Tampa, west of habana, and it is 90% hispanic, some of the house could be better kept, my kids are there 50% and in south tampa the other 50% and i doubt they feel any safer in one house or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay