Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,235 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old single mom to a 10 month old little girl. We are currently in Columbus Ohio.

I wanted to know if its a good area. My daughter is bi racial (white and african american) and I want to be sure this isnt a racist area. Ive heard stories about the south and of course my daughters safety is always a #1 priority.

How are the schools? I know I have a ways to go but im a planner.

And any other advice comments are welcome.

If I decide to move it will be within the next 6 months.

Thanks

-OhioChic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 PM

192 posts, read 322,065 times
Come on down, people are people and those with close minds, well just ignore them!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:01 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
oh.... joy...Another parenting board friend

Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
I think in general you have nothing to worry about. Pinellas county is pretty dense, and has a lot of tourism, i think those factors prevent racism, you do however find a lot of the nicer neighborhoods still be 90%+ white , not to open a can of worms, different factors for that. I dont know if you are looking for similar people, and am not basing this on any data at all only from what i see, I think Brandon because it has a large military population, you do see a lot of bi-racial kids. Again not my intention to assume thats what you are looking for.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:10 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Hi Ohiochic! St. Pete is great. It can be a bit segregated, but that has more to do with socioeconomic class and race than just race alone. It's not right, but it's how it is here (but not everyone!). Staying North of Downtown will keep you to the safe parts of St. Pete proper. For a middle class and not too "segregated" area, look around crescent lake. Old NE is my hood and is fantastic, but pricey and can get a bit snooty But I don't think you'd notice any hostility.

Schools here are hit and miss, generally speaking you will do better in higher priced neighborhoods than lower, but do your research. There are tons of private schools here and some are fairly reasonable in price.

To sum it up, St. Pete tends to pride itself on acceptance, but can get a bit segregated on both sides of the race fence. There is a large population here that dpesn't feel that way, though. Lots of recreation here amd educational stuff too. Add to that that we are one of the sunniest areas on the coast of Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay