U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,883 times

Advertisements

I'm from a farm outside of Baton Rouge, LA. I currently go to LSU and am in pre-med. I like what I hear and see about Tampa's University of South Florida concerning their pre-med program and med school and am considering transferring there.

Assuming I don't live on campus, is Tampa (or at least the area surrounding campus) a decent place to live? Would I be culture shocked? I'm from a rural area outside Baton Rouge. I like my culture, but I feel attracted to going to Tampa.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 04:15 PM

385 posts, read 1,003,072 times
USF's medical programs are really good from what I've heard. You should definitely plan a visit to the area for a few days and see what you think of Tampa and the university. Visit the school, visit Tampa/Ybor, and go to the beach. Just don't come during the Republican National Convention. Traffic will be crazy!

Unfortunately the area immediately surrounding the university is not the nicest part of Tampa. Especially the areas south and west of the university are not nice.

Unless you are on a really tight budget I would say for housing look in New Tampa or Tampa Palms (north of campus along Bruce B Downs) or in parts of Temple Terrace (east/southeast of campus) for housing.

If you don't mind driving to school some ways, you could live closer to downtown in a place like South Tampa. There are a lot more businesses, restaurants and nightlife in that area. I live in Seminole Heights which is convenient to the university, but the area has only a small number of nice restaurants, bars, etc. compared to South Tampa or Ybor.

I'm a grad student at USF. Many of my classmates do not like Tampa, but I enjoy it. I enjoy the beaches, and the relatively large size of the metro area, which means there's plenty to do. I came from a smaller town, so Tampa seems to have a lot going on for me, but for others coming from places like NYC it will seem small and provincial.

What I don't like about Tampa is the traffic, the heat that lasts most of the year (probably not very different than where you're at in LA), the way there are a lot of strip malls, the large area of sketchy neighborhoods especially near USF, the way things are kind of spread out across the bay area, and the way that from Tampa it usually takes an hour to get to the beach.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,601 times
I live in the north eastern part of East Baton Rouge Parish, so I feel your pain.

My wife and I have visited the Tampa Bay area with every intention of checking the place out for a possible relocation. We actually wound up liking St. Petersburg and various other parts of Pinellas County more than Tampa. We're in our 30's, but if I were a college student, I'd probably want to be in either South Tampa or downtown-ish St. Petersbug (north of 5th Ave South.) With that in mind, I'd check out USF's campus in St. Pete to see if they offer the program that you desire.

I can't speak to the quality of university medical programs, but USF's main campus is not next to downtown like LSU's is. When compared to Baton Rouge, it would not be nearly as brutal of a commute for you if you wanted to live in a more rural/suburban area north of Tampa. From what little I could tell, much of the surrounding area around USF were not prime areas. Most of the bad areas of Tampa are 10x better than the bad areas of Baton Rouge.

Tampa is still a Southern city in many ways, with people from all over. Plenty of transplants from Louisiana. I suspect the only two things you'll miss are family and cajun food.

Last edited by JDfromBR; 08-10-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Tampa is still a Southern city in many ways, with people from all over. Plenty of transplants from Louisiana. I suspect the only two things you'll miss are family and cajun food.

I would miss my family. The only other place I'm considering is graduating from LSU and go to med school in New Orleans, but I'm not sure. I bet USF is better.

I guess, in the end, it's all up to me visiting Tampa and USF in person and deciding then.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I'm a grad student at USF. Many of my classmates do not like Tampa, but I enjoy it. I enjoy the beaches, and the relatively large size of the metro area, which means there's plenty to do. I came from a smaller town, so Tampa seems to have a lot going on for me, but for others coming from places like NYC it will seem small and provincial.
I'm from a very rural area outside of Baton Rouge. BR seems gigantic to me! I don't think I'd ever get bored in Tampa, I just wonder if it'd be an "overload" being so far from home. But then again, it's Florida I'd wager that there's a lot more opportunity for employment there once I finish medschool and residency than anywhere in Louisiana.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 PM

272 posts, read 549,039 times
You'll certainly be prepared for the humidity. =)

Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
You'll certainly be prepared for the humidity. =)

I've never gone north of Tennessee, so I don't know what its like to live in non-humid environments. I hear it's more comfortable, but you can't miss what you've never had I guess

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,958,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRnative92 View Post
I'm from a farm outside of Baton Rouge, LA. I currently go to LSU and am in pre-med. I like what I hear and see about Tampa's University of South Florida concerning their pre-med program and med school and am considering transferring there.

Assuming I don't live on campus, is Tampa (or at least the area surrounding campus) a decent place to live? Would I be culture shocked? I'm from a rural area outside Baton Rouge. I like my culture, but I feel attracted to going to Tampa.

Thanks
No, you should do what all the other LSU grads do, move to Houston, Dallas, or Austin.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,155,736 times
I hope you have read up on entrance into USF's Medical School. Competition is FIERCE!!! I have a daughter that is 1/2 way through her Junior Year and getting ready to take the MCAT sometime in the Spring. She really enjoys USF, but has Medical School and the Military on her mind, so we'll see what route she takes. But she talks all the time about the competition to get into Med School not only at USF, but all over. She is STRAIGHT A's taking classes that I can barely spell.
Also, something to think about is resident vs non-resident for Medical School costs. 25K vs 50K in a lot of places depending if you are in state or out of state. My recommendation is make the decision and do it early. A delay could cost you 100 GRAND before you know it.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
No, you should do what all the other LSU grads do, move to Houston, Dallas, or Austin.

Haha, I do keep Houston on the list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay