Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 AM

48 posts, read 130,781 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 22 and entering my final year of college. My major is communications and minor is sports management. Sports information is my preferential career, with public relations as a backup plan right now.

This past March I spent a week in Tampa and absolutely loved it. Loved the beach in Clearwater, Busch Gardens, as well as the Channelside area where I went to a Lightning game. I love Tampa and it's definitely a city I've considered living in.

For some additional info about me, I'm single, half black, Democrat (and liberal in general), Christian (not the conservative evangelical fundamentalist type), and have mild Asperger Syndrome. Factoring this in, plus my career desires, how good of a fit do you think Tampa is for me?

All answers are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
We have plenty of sports teams, both professional and collegiate (Bucs, Bolts, Rays, Bulls, Spartans, Tampa Yankees, other area minor league baseball teams, Rowdies Soccer, Storm), so it seems like there would be ample opportunity to latch on. Seems that in order to get a foot in the door, you have to serve internships. I noticed the Buccaneers have a ton of young college-aged employees working everywhere (PR, ticket sales, etc etc).

Seems like Tampa will be an ideal place for you to get started.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:26 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
Tampa may have some sports teams, but the broadcast mecca for sports communications and broadcasting is in the New York area (Secuacus NJ and Connecticut). I wouldn't recommend Tampa if you are career oriented and are just starting out. Beaches and weather are all well and good, but you need a good solid career and income and Tampa really lacks in that area.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
We have plenty of sports teams, both professional and collegiate (Bucs, Bolts, Rays, Bulls, Spartans, Tampa Yankees, other area minor league baseball teams, Rowdies Soccer, Storm), so it seems like there would be ample opportunity to latch on. Seems that in order to get a foot in the door, you have to serve internships. I noticed the Buccaneers have a ton of young college-aged employees working everywhere (PR, ticket sales, etc etc).

Seems like Tampa will be an ideal place for you to get started.
I agree with BucFan. I think Tampa would be a great place for you to get started. Good luck to you!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
My friends graduated with communication. Closest jobs they found were in: Bismark, ND, and a city you've never heard of, KY. In other words, you wont get a job in your field. As long as you know that now, you'll be fine.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
OP, I'm curious what you've heard from your professors about your chosen field - and their recommendations whether its best to find work in a small market (like Bismark ND) then work your way up the ladder to larger markets (bigger cities) once you establish yourself/develop a resume.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
OP - Start working on your professional connections now. Anybody and everybody you meet in the field, befriend them. Send them Xmas cards/presents. Through conversation remember their birthdays and anniversaries.... remember their kids' names, etc. You need to log all this information down and remember it. To get anywhere in the industry you are looking at getting into requires a whole lot of schmoozing, networking and self marketing.

You have no idea how many people I know that have Communications degrees that work for $12/hr call center type jobs. Why? Because they didn't build the relationships necessary to get a foot hold. This pretty much applies to any industry/field. Many people think of College as a place just for education. Those people couldn't be more wrong. It's half education half building relationships, introductions and connections that will hopefully benefit you a lifetime.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
OP, I'm curious what you've heard from your professors about your chosen field - and their recommendations whether its best to find work in a small market (like Bismark ND) then work your way up the ladder to larger markets (bigger cities) once you establish yourself/develop a resume.
Should I also throw out that my two friends also did a lot of internships prior to having to look for work. City Of Tampa TV, NBC, and Fox (last two in Orlando). They got the "connections." Were told if anything came up, they'd get a call. Had even met the boss' family and everything. Nothing came up though. Bismark did offer up a nice position for one of my friends. It's exactly what he wanted to do. There's a city over by Compton looking for a producer, I know that much.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM

48 posts, read 130,781 times
Quote:
One of my professors for a class I took for my sports management minor said the best way to get started is to get an internship because of the experience and it looks good on your resume. This fall I start an internship with the sports information department at my college.

I'm not completely sure what the market is like for sports info jobs. They appear to be widespread since every college has a sports info department, as well as all pro teams (even minor league teams). While I'm not completely sure, it would be reasonable to assume that people start out at small colleges and work their way up to pro teams.

For those of you wondering what sports information is, it's the people who write game recaps and fill out box scores for games. Other duties include things like writing game programs and interviewing players, which are among the tasks I will be doing during my internship.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
oh yes tampa ony has sports -sports -sports,,, main agenda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay