Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:37 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

I know, but what I don't know is "WHY"? and also "WHY" does this really have to be that way? we're in the 21st century looking to populate other planets...literally, don't you think it might be a better idea to clean up this one first? before taking our wonderful destroying powers elsewhere in the Universe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Hate to break it to ya... but 'CrackTown' is always close to Downtown in every city.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 PM

Actually I have been....been to NYC in 2006...most recently...Not easy to travel to such city with 3 kids under 8...but there is no comparison between Tampa, St Pete and NYC! That's beyond apples and oranges...more like apples and cats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
Obviously you've never been to either place.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Actually I have been....been to NYC in 2006...most recently...Not easy to travel to such city with 3 kids under 8...but there is no comparison between Tampa, St Pete and NYC! That's beyond apples and oranges...more like apples and cats!
This is getting off subject - I don't think ANYONE said it was going to become NYC, or any other place for that matter. The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was just making some comparisons in a very small type of way. The point is, he was pointing out assets of the area, and how underappreciated it is by a lot of people who live here.

Bottom line, Tampa is taking off - the Tampa Bay area includes St. Pete and Clearwater (sometimes even Bradenton and Sarasota) just to clear that all up. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, folks.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:51 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Half of St Pete is more like Skid ROW than Brooklyn....Brooklyn would be mad with such comparison...

The "Tampa Bay" area is no match for NYC. It will never be, unless extensive construction starts happening now, and unless some variety in entertainment is brought into the area. "I" should have a hard time deciding what show to go too...unlike now, where I'm like.....I've seen this, and this, and that and now what?
I dont think Tampa strives to be NYC...

Thank god

I dont know how old you are, but I certainly remember when most of NYC, even manhattan was cracktown and brooklyn and queens were no man lands, like detroit and DC

The only reason NYC came back is because some mayors stood up and took action against the cracktown inhabitants and kicked them out, brutally to Jersey and the other boroughs

We need that kind of conviction here

Old 08-14-2012, 02:10 PM

Tampa has its own charm...but I agree that we need a mayor who is willing to do some major clean up!

Considering the # of people moving here, there must be more to this area than just "the warm weather"! and I think that all these residents who live, and work here deserve the opportunity to live in a nice and clean environment. Simple as that. Here's an example, Florida Avenue is filled with all sorts of shops...however, the majority look dilapidated, and not because their out of business, but because their owners don't give a ratz ass about the store front! If i was a mayor, I would fine the crap out of them for presenting themselves like that. You're in business, you're making money? paint your front! There is no excuse NOT TOO!

and so on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
The only reason NYC came back is because some mayors stood up and took action against the cracktown inhabitants and kicked them out, brutally to Jersey and the other boroughs
We need that kind of conviction here

Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Tampa has a great mayor - he's barely been in office for a few months. Everyone who works for him loves him, and he has high hopes for Tampa, and is already working to improve things. Some people here are unrealistic. Once again, will some of you just be patient and GIVE HIM A CHANCE???? Sheesh already!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:38 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Seriosuly? Who care about cracktown in Tampa? I never drive through there. I attempt to stay North of Busch Blvd or South of I4/I275 at all times. No real reason for me to go to 'Cracktown'... well unless I was looking for Crack.... and really... isn't it Meth now? So shouldn't it be called MethTown? ..... I'm just sayin.... And really, in FL don't we have more people hooked on Pain Pills than either Meth or Crack.... so I guess we need to clean up 'PharmacyTown'.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
I know for a fact that you can nudge your city on those forbes lists (within reason) by paying.

some cities are just locked in and others are pulled out of a hat.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
To the OP, SHhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Don't say this too loud. We like it that Tampa / St. Pete is running under the radar and don't want to make so many top 10 lists, otherwise this area will become so crowded, no one will be able to enjoy it.

And I agree with all of your points!! Tampa is awesome.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 PM

428 posts, read 1,472,631 times
Quote:
I know you can't compare and I didn't mean to come off snide. I meant , first off that there is still a lot of Brooklyn that's up and coming , rather than already arrived. And less than 20% of St. Pete is what I would consider Skid Row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay