U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 07:17 AM

9 posts, read 28,900 times

Advertisements

So I currently have FIOS tv and internet but was looking to swap cable for Directv while keeping FIOS internet. I was looking to get Directv for football season and it looks like I can get their second best package for $55 a mo.

For current Directv customers, how is it down here and how many times has your service gone out this summer? (since we are in the heart on thunderstorm season)...I have heard this go both ways. Some say it goes out a lot while others say its gone out once in a blue moon. I tried to search this but didn't find much.

I've down some pricing and with the Verizon bundle I have now (internet and cable with HBO and Redzone) I pay about $130. With Directv and Verizon Internet it is going to be around $110.

Any input on Directv would be great. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,128,003 times
I have FIOS here as well, but had Directv in Jacksonville, Mississippi and Virginia and it wasn't that big of an issue. Real strong rain will knock it out. HD gets knocked out long before the regular channel. How does it look around your home? Is it a clear shot to the direction you require for the strongest signal? We have another month or so of Afternoon Thunderstorm season so that would only impact a couple weeks of regular season.
Again, High Definition goes out much faster than the regular channel. When I saw it start to get that digital distortion on the channel, I just switched it back to regular and had very minimal issues.
I am thinking about Directv again as well with the season coming up. Be sure to check thier specials, a lot of times you can get the NFL package for free with a two year committment.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM

9 posts, read 28,900 times
Thanks. Good to hear that at least the non HD channels won't go out, completely forgot about them. I am moving to an apartment complex and there isn't much blockage from trees or anything so I should be pretty good there.

I did get Sunday Ticket for free too. It was $55 a month which includes a free HD DVR and HD Box, Choice Ultimate package, NFL Ticket Maxx, and 3 months HBO, Starz, Cinemax for free. Heck of a deal. It does go up a little bit after 12 months but not by much.

Just wondering how much my Verizon internet is going to be since I am dropping the bundle.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 AM

62 posts, read 350,665 times
I just did exactly what you are asking about. I had FiOS TV and Internet, moved to DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket package and whole home DVR. So far, I must say, I am not exactly a happy camper with the DirecTV service (though football season is starting soon and I may change my tune). The DirecTV goes out quite often and much more than FiOS ever did, the channel guide and remote response is abysmal and on the remote televisions I cannot pause or rewind live television. On the plus side, being able to record 6 channels at the same time and watch them on any television in the house is a big benefit; and, of course, Sunday Ticket is not available on FiOS TV.
My FiOS Internet price went from $39 per month when bundled to $55 per month standalone.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM

2,637 posts, read 11,519,075 times
I don't know anyone who has Direct TV as their exclusive service now, but I know several people who used to have it but switched to Brighthouse or Verizon service because they got tired of storms knocking out their service. Heavy rains are a regular occurance here. I know one person who has Direct TV just for the NFL package but also has Brighthouse service for everything but football.

If you want satellite service in an apartment complex, make sure that your specific unit has a clear view of the right part of the sky and that you will have some sort of private area where you can mount the dish. Usually a balcony works and you have to put it on a weighted stand. You are usually not allowed to mount it to the building or the roof.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:20 PM

8 posts, read 8,973 times
I just switched from Directv to Fios two weeks ago, and all I can say is good riddance!! I live in a house and every stinking time it rained, or was windy it would be " searching for satellite signal " So frustrating!! I hated them! Even my HD channels did it. When we signed up for service the salesman reassured me that it would almost never go out, unless maybe it was Hurricane weather! Lies!

So happy I switched. I barely had any channels and was paying 120.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay