U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 4,020,912 times
Reputation: 3510

Advertisements

#8 for the most dangerous city to drive in. I doubt this will surprise anyone, but helps explain why insurance is so high.

Report: Tampa, Orlando in Top 10 most dangerous cities to drive in
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2012, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Tampa, Fl
4,091 posts, read 5,102,614 times
Reputation: 3398
#8? It made an improvement!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,076,422 times
Reputation: 6028
Its those who run red lights, blow off stop signs, speed and switch lanes 10 times per mile that is the problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,380 posts, read 8,261,747 times
Reputation: 2930
Odd that the most dangerous places are in the sunbelt andthe safest places are where (most cases) there is typically snow. And 4 cities in Florida on the top 10... that's impressive. I'll bet you anything the top 10 also have the most drivers with bald tires. It is amazing the number of people around here that have bald tires. Also, no safety inspection. Rain + Bald Tires + No Safety Inspection = Accidents. And that's just part of it, because yeah... people drive completely nuts in Orlando and Miami. Tampa isn't as bad.... as this report shows.

When you live somewhere that there is snow... you make sure you have decent tires.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 4,020,912 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
#8? It made an improvement!
Yes, I believe we were #4 a year or two ago. I really have not noticed any difference in bad drivers.

On my way home from Orlando this afternoon I saw a woman in the left lane of I-4 come to a COMPLETE STOP because she missed her exit to I-75. How stupid do you have to be to come to a complete stop on a very busy interstate? Not to mention she was in the fast lane.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Wake County, NC
2,983 posts, read 4,020,912 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Its those who run red lights, blow off stop signs, speed and switch lanes 10 times per mile that is the problem.
I'll add drunk drivers, wrong way drivers, wrong way drunk drivers, pill heads, meth heads and the hit and run epidemic. And as another poster said "we don't have a state safety inspection."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,076,422 times
Reputation: 6028
Another for the list woulds be senior citizens who never give up the license or their cars. In Winter Park, Winter Park Road in fact, when they were paving it, there was a closed lane ahead. Traffic was going both ways in the same lane controlled by a flagman. Sure enough, this gray haired old lady with a blank look on her face ignored the flagman, went through the construction area and nearly head on collision with me.

State "safety inspections" as most of the states found out, are useless.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I'll add drunk drivers, wrong way drivers, wrong way drunk drivers, pill heads, meth heads and the hit and run epidemic. And as another poster said "we don't have a state safety inspection."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 03:05 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,579 posts, read 2,038,650 times
Reputation: 1148
Tampa seemed no more dangerous than baton rouge or new Orleans and less dangerous than Miami.

I did find that it was hard/confusing to get around the core of Tampa, but the suburbs and pinellas county were pretty normal in terms of ease of use.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
4,678 posts, read 8,900,388 times
Reputation: 1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
State "safety inspections" as most of the states found out, are useless.
I'll never forget driving through Orlando a couple years ago and seeing a guy driving a Honda Civic on I-4 with no doors, no hood, and all four tires were donuts.

My truck failed my safety inspection in Texas this year because I had illegal tint. Our safety inspections (when not corrupt) do a pretty good job of keeping unsafe vehicles off the road. You won't find too many people here with bald tires or missing hoods/doors.

I was surprised as well to not see New Orleans on this list. Those Cajuns drive crazy, but.. Floridians drive crazy too. I can't count the number of times, while driving through downtown Orlando (Isn't the speed limit like 50mph ?) with people doing well over 100.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,076,422 times
Reputation: 6028
Yeah, I believe the story about the Honda Civic. NOT. I have NEVER witnessed such a thing any where much less on I-4. Wouldnt you think any LEO on duty or off duty would have either pulled this car over or at least phoned it in so they could get it off the road.

I do agree that it is highly likely that people drive through Orlando at 100. Safety inspections aren't going to prevent that.




Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'll never forget driving through Orlando a couple years ago and seeing a guy driving a Honda Civic on I-4 with no doors, no hood, and all four tires were donuts.

My truck failed my safety inspection in Texas this year because I had illegal tint. Our safety inspections (when not corrupt) do a pretty good job of keeping unsafe vehicles off the road. You won't find too many people here with bald tires or missing hoods/doors.

I was surprised as well to not see New Orleans on this list. Those Cajuns drive crazy, but.. Floridians drive crazy too. I can't count the number of times, while driving through downtown Orlando (Isn't the speed limit like 50mph ?) with people doing well over 100.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top