U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM

149 posts, read 172,122 times

Advertisements

In your opinion and why? What does one have over the other? Is there a benefit to owning in one over the other?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,126,787 times
I think this is hard to really say. I actually look at all three as very different (even though some parts are similar).

Pasco - More rural. You have subdivisions then large farm land in between. Taxes are lower, many communities have no CDD for the subdivisions, and you can find homes that are not in subdivisions with large lots.

Hillsborough - Northern Hillsborough is similar to Pasco with higher taxes. But also has many new (BEAUTIFUL) subdivisions. Move in toward the city and you have a lot of homes crammed together. I would say crime is higher because of the nature of a large city.

Pinnellas - I equate that to Clearwater (even though North and East you have some nice areas as well). But if you look at Pinnellas as the 'Beach', that is only a small part of it.

To me personally, I grew up in Northern Michigan and things were green and you had room. I take Pasco for that reason alone. I looked in all three before moving here and this was what I liked the most.

If I had to have the beach, it would have been Pinnellas. I would have still chosen Pasco even if I worked in the city or at the Air Force Base and just made the drive. To each there own, but I ended up right where I like to be. NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL!!!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,779,882 times
I say Pinellas. Why? it's a peninsula surrounded by water, better beaches and plenty of entertainment and activities although maybe on a smaller scale than Hillsborough but enough be strongly competitive.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM

2,566 posts, read 4,196,999 times
They are all quite different and I think it depends on an individual's priorities. Pinellas has I think the most character overall and has the beaches. It's also relatively less conservative than the majority of Florida. All of those are positives for me. However, having been through several hurricanes I prefer being further inland and I also prefer being closer to work so I live in Tampa. I also like that it's easier to get to other parts of Florida - no bridges, etc. I also like the "real Florida" foliage that you kind find in places like Lettuce Lake Park and Hillsborough River State Park. I don't know Pasco quit as well u the sense I got when I was looking for homes is that you can get more for your money there. I don't have (and won't have) kids so schools weren't an issue but that is often an important factor. I understand there are some decent school districts in both HIllsborough and Pinellas but it is by no means across the entire area. I haven't heard many good things about Pasco schools, but again I don't really know much about it.

I understand that South Tampa real estate kept its value better than most real estate in the area and in general it is a really great area - lots to do, walkable neighborhoods, access to the city, etc. PErsonally I couldn't justify the prices when you could get so much more for your money just about anywhere else but I can definitely see the appeal. Plus I'm not keen on the flooding issues they have.

So in summary I really think it depends on an individual's priorities.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 AM

6,431 posts, read 3,871,034 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We moved to Clearwater twice and then went to Treasure Island. Our kids grew up there, then went to FSU in Tallahassee. We loved the beaches. The boating was excellent, the gulf, the bay and fresh water Lake Tarpon.

The school districts are the whole county, not smaller areas like some other states.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 AM

114 posts, read 224,810 times
In Pinellas County I feel more like I'm in a "real city." I've been in small towns and rural areas my whole life (all within 2hrs of a major city though), and there are some parts of Hillsborough that make me forget I'm only minutes away from a major metro. But Pinellas County seems more like one big city to me, and I like that. If I'm going to sacrifice some of the country perks (cost of living, rent, parking, noise ordinances, etc), then I want to be able to enjoy the city life to the fullest, and I think thats most attainable in Pinellas County.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:13 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,662,012 times
Hernando Cty, a lot less crowded and close enough to Pinellas or Hillsborough if you need to go there.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 AM

26,791 posts, read 41,488,820 times
Pasco - lowest property taxes of all 3

Pinellas - closest to the beaches but highest home owners insurance due flooding issues.

Hillsborough - if you want to be close to the other 2.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM

663 posts, read 1,000,161 times
Pinellas county's population is older. Pinellas has the beaches, but the county is much harder to get around. There is no quick way to get anywhere. The whole county has like 2 movie theaters. Downtown St Pete is awesome and beats pretty much anything on Hillsborough side, but down town is the Only entertainment area in pinellas. Everything in central Pinellas is ugly.

Hillsborough is much younger. It's much easier to get around. I lived in South Tampa and was never more than 10 minutes to anything. Tampa's downtown leaves a lot to be desired, but is getting better. Tampa has more choices for entertainment. There is Soho, Ybor, Channelside and Baystreet in International Plaza. Tampa has about a dozen movie theaters

If you want rural, Dade City in Pasco is nice. I personally don't care for the rest of Pasco

Old 08-21-2012, 08:41 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,240,931 times
Pasco has a lot of sink holes and is more rural. I believe this is where a lot of future growth will occur though. Pasco is typically the 'drive until you qualify' neighborhoods.

Pinellas - Very dense (most densely populated county in Florida), near the beaches... seems like it is sunny over there more often. You are more likely to have property damage with thunderstorms and the like since the winds whip right off the Gulf. As a result property values are higher and so are insurance rates. Many of the homes in Mid to South Pinellas are older (1960's and older).

Hillsborough - A little bit of everything in the area. Old homes, new homes, good areas, bad areas. Rural, urban... take you pick. Nice thing about Hillsborough is there are real highways, where in Pinellas you have US-19 (what a mess), Ulmerton, Gulf To Bay and a few other roads with lights as your main arterials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or