Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampagator89 View Post
Well, that's optimistic. That whole area is being planned out similar in fashion to Channelside, and Channelside apartments certainly didn't become ghetto in 6 months. If I'm not mistaken I don't think anything around there is (or is planned to become) low-income housing except for one building. Even the nice apartments in Ybor are still nice themselves, they're just surrounded by a trashy area.
Those condos in Channelside took years to get off the ground and was built on top of former warehouses and factories. And still suffer with high vacancies.

In case you didnt know, a lot of former housing projects are being dozed and rebuilt as mixed housing. They turn into ghettos quick. Lee Davis, Central Park, that place on Florida up by Bo's, etc...

Old 08-28-2012, 06:48 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Good luck finding a place in Beach Park, Swann Estates or Bayshore for under a million. Parkland Estates is close to that, so is Palma Ceia. And for all that money, you get inferiorly built old homes with rats, termites and worn out plumbing, outdated electrical, etc

Gulfport? you can have it... crime, scumbags and hood all around it

I would take the Westchase area over pretty much everywhere you mentioned unless you are prepared to spend high 6 to 7 figures for a home and are prepared to live in a neighborhood in evacuation zone A which floods every time it rains, and has awful stormwater and wastewater issues.
I meant golfview, at any rate, to each his own, I never had any kind of flooding issues the streets flood a bit, my point being Westchester is far from the nicest area in tampa, you can argue it's better value, you can argue it's more family oriented but not the nicest.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
There are MANY good homes in Beach Park, Swan Estates, Palma Ceia, etc. for less than 300k. You just have to take your time and look. Many of these homes, which ARE older, were built in the 50s-60s, are renovated, and they are a lot better built than much of the wood frame stucco crap they are building in the suburbs. I know many people who have bought new homes in the burbs and have fled because of horrific commutes and shoddy construction (mold, chinese drywall, bad drainage, foundations, walls cracking, sinkholes, etc.). Buy a well-kept older home in an urban, established area, on a good, quiet street, and you have a well-built house that will always appreciate in value, much more than in the burbs, and you won't have an apartment complex going in any time soon. Problem solved.

In addition not all of these urban areas flood; my relatives live in Beach Park and they never get any flooding whatsoever. They live in a 60s ranch. Renovated. Soon, the land will be worth 5 times more than the house. Not sure you can say that about Westchase property.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
There are MANY good homes in Beach Park, Swan Estates, Palma Ceia, etc. for less than 300k. You just have to take your time and look. Many of these homes, which ARE older, were built in the 50s-60s, are renovated, and they are a lot better built than much of the wood frame stucco crap they are building in the suburbs.
Anything you find for that price will be tiny, worn out and full of problems

They dont build "wood frame stucco crap" in Westchase.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-29-2012 at 04:59 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I wonder how many natives are here vs transplants - to me it is the transplants that are unhappy. It used to be so different when I was a kid, and I am talking about the character, people's attitude or ambiance that made it different. People in general have become cold and uninterested about their neighbors etc.,and the kids are the ones who keep families laced together in an area.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 PM

205 posts, read 293,793 times
Quote:
Those condos in Channelside took years to get off the ground and was built on top of former warehouses and factories. And still suffer with high vacancies.

In case you didnt know, a lot of former housing projects are being dozed and rebuilt as mixed housing. They turn into ghettos quick. Lee Davis, Central Park, that place on Florida up by Bo's, etc...
Well, the city is kidding itself if it's trying to better unsavory areas by building one "nice" apartment complex in the middle of said areas. That's pretty useless. But I was assuming when you said Central Park that you meant the Encore Project. It's a large project and it seems as if they're trying to make that area its own little community (mixed-use developments). I am pretty sure that these developments are targeting the working middle class and seniors in terms of price range. That, and its close proximity to some areas that are safe and alright-looking (Channelside, downtown), make it a worthwhile endeavor compared to projects that are in ghetto central.

Same thing goes in reverse order. When developers start building several low-income apartments in a nicer area then that might be cause for concern, but I would think one kind of mid/higher-priced complex wouldn't do very much of anything.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampagator89 View Post
Well, the city is kidding itself if it's trying to better unsavory areas by building one "nice" apartment complex in the middle of said areas. That's pretty useless. But I was assuming when you said Central Park that you meant the Encore Project. It's a large project and it seems as if they're trying to make that area its own little community (mixed-use developments). I am pretty sure that these developments are targeting the working middle class and seniors in terms of price range. That, and its close proximity to some areas that are safe and alright-looking (Channelside, downtown), make it a worthwhile endeavor compared to projects that are in ghetto central.

Same thing goes in reverse order. When developers start building several low-income apartments in a nicer area then that might be cause for concern, but I would think one kind of mid/higher-priced complex wouldn't do very much of anything.
Yes, but who in their right mind in the "middle class" is going to move in there, it's still surrounded on 3 sides by housing projects...

The city needs to really step up on police. They need to go in guns blazing and battons swinging until these ares are safe

Old 08-29-2012, 07:38 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Yes, but who in their right mind in the "middle class" is going to move in there, it's still surrounded on 3 sides by housing projects...

The city needs to really step up on police. They need to go in guns blazing and battons swinging until these ares are safe
I have been watching this development go up. I am interested in seeing how it works out.

Considering the surrounding area, I would expect that it will be a tough sell.

RM

Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
I live in one of those "tiny" (2400 sq feet), "worn out" urban homes somebody wrote about. I'd rather live in my solid built, block 1957 ranch in Culbreath Bayou than in Westchase. Zero problems (well we sure do have a lot of skeeters due to all the huge oaks), zero commute and zero apartment complexes going up in my neighborhood anytime soon. And the property values just keep going up up up!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 PM

205 posts, read 293,793 times
Quote:
People who work nearby, USF students, and anyone else who likes convenience but can't pay the price tag for a 1/1 at Channelside. And if a grocery store and some shops move in, it will be the only true urban community in the region, which will attract people who dislike suburban living.

And actually, considering the area is very urban, it is not crime ridden, nor are any areas around it except Ybor. They just look sketchy because the city's ignored them for eons, which is why i applaud them for trying to clean up and redo this one section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay