Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM

10 posts, read 33,429 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for personal reviews on the Florida Autism Center of Excellence (FACE) in Tampa from the last 2-3 years. I am strongly considering moving to Tampa to send my son here. I know they had a shaky start in 2007 from what I've read, but they have been managed by a new company since 2009 and apparently they've been doing great since then. Anyway, so I've done some research and now looking for personal reviews on the school from the last 2-3 years. It's a big move from MO and would like some opinions first! Also, my son is high-functioning, has a developmental delay, and is now almost 5 yrs old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:35 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Florida is not know for providing the best services, and looking at this schools website it seems like you have to wait and hope for an opening. I wouldn't move for the chance to go there.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
If he is high functioning he will be in a public school most likely. (Not to mention the area around FACE is not the best). What is the developmental delay? if its speech, your best bet is to have private speech therapies you can do through USF, or other sources. Does he have to be contained?

You have to remember that you don't just move, and poof everything happens. The waiting lists are HUGE. Mine started with the Early Steps back when he was 2 1/2, and he is STILL on waiting lists for occupational therapy! (We must have a shortage of Occupational therapists in the area or something, because if we have THAT many needing this service, then we have bigger problem). Its a long process, and you have to personally scout these places. My suggestion is that you come by yourself, visit everything you see online, and then decide. Moving based on what a websites advertises can be detrimental; we know, because we were told Pennsylvania had the best supports, and we re-searched for over a year, talked to so many ppl its not funny, moved there, and found out they don't, not for high functioning at least, it was all false advertisement, so we moved back to Tampa. I don't think there's a clear understanding out there regarding high versus low functioning, and the staff in some of these schools is completely clueless on what or how to deal with these kids. In PA they tried to turn my high functioning kid into a low functioning, and that was IT for us. VISIT, and see for yourself if your child will FIT in.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Default Just saw this...

HI, sorry I just now saw your post. Is it a dangerous area around FACE? I talked to them and they said he's eligible and guarenteed me a spot for Fall 2014. I've heard both good and bad things about Tampa, Kansas City (where I am now) isn't too great of a place to live, unless you're in a suburban area just outside the city. I plan to come visit this next year. Did you ever look into FACE for your child? Just curious, thanks for the response.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM

We cannot afford private schools on one hand, and from where we live its like an hour away, and traffic is horrendous that way from any clean suburb around here. I really don't understand why all these schools for Autistic kids are placed in such awful areas of town completely inconvenient to people's homes. My kid is mainstreamed in a public school, and is doing good.

The "city of Tampa" has 300k residents, and is mostly dilapidated, so it is true that you WILL have to live in a suburb to have a decent life here. You should look into Brandon if your kid will go to FACE. It is the "closest" you can get to that school and still find some decency residentially speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0116 View Post
HI, sorry I just now saw your post. Is it a dangerous area around FACE? I talked to them and they said he's eligible and guarenteed me a spot for Fall 2014. I've heard both good and bad things about Tampa, Kansas City (where I am now) isn't too great of a place to live, unless you're in a suburban area just outside the city. I plan to come visit this next year. Did you ever look into FACE for your child? Just curious, thanks for the response.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 AM

That's awesome that your child is mainstreamed and doing well!! I'm hoping we can work up to that when he is older. He'll be 6 1/2 when we start at FACE. Yeah, I know most of those private schools are outrageously expensive. That's so weird about Tampa, the online pictures of Tampa look so pretty. But I'm hearing from many people how rundown it is, and one person said that it is mostly ghetto. I guess the pics are just of the downtown area, and everything else is rundown.? I will check out Brandon, I do want a safe area to live, where we can feel secure, get out and walk the dog, ect, without worrying about getting mugged or something, especially since I am a single mom. Thanks so much for your info, obviously I need as much information as I can get. And like you said, visiting the area will be the best things to do to get a feel for it, as well as the school.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM

He started in a pre-school SE setting, and moved on from there. He is right on par academically, and above on reading. We're very proud of him.

Yes, the "city" of Tampa is made up of pretty much two areas...the VAST crack town, that is spread for miles, and miles, and South Tampa which is geared towards the rich, considering RE prices etc. Those who prefer to walk the dog in peace like you said, live in gated/non gated suburbs like Odessa, Citrus Park, Lutz, Westchase, Brandon etc. I said Brandon in your case because if you're sure 100% you want him at that school, it is the most convenient time wise.

Definitely VISIT; cannot emphasize that enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0116 View Post
That's awesome that your child is mainstreamed and doing well!! I'm hoping we can work up to that when he is older. He'll be 6 1/2 when we start at FACE. Yeah, I know most of those private schools are outrageously expensive. That's so weird about Tampa, the online pictures of Tampa look so pretty. But I'm hearing from many people how rundown it is, and one person said that it is mostly ghetto. I guess the pics are just of the downtown area, and everything else is rundown.? I will check out Brandon, I do want a safe area to live, where we can feel secure, get out and walk the dog, ect, without worrying about getting mugged or something, especially since I am a single mom. Thanks so much for your info, obviously I need as much information as I can get. And like you said, visiting the area will be the best things to do to get a feel for it, as well as the school.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 7,613 times
Question Florida Autism Center of Excellence in Pasco County

Does anyone know what town or city in E or E-Central Pasco County the new school will be built?
Will the school be on a public bus line? Are the surrounding neighborhood rental houses or apts close by, safe, and affordable? Thank you.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,483 times
Face school is an amazing school the teachers really care.my daughter could not read and she just turned ten and they got her interested in reading and helped her so much that she is now reading,I can't say enough praises about face.the area is not bad.the bad part of that road is far down the street on the other side.the area near face is farmland and a buisness complex which has a college in it.if you google earth the address you will see how beautiful their land is. Down the street there is a few houses that look like low income duplexs but they are just regular families in them and they are far enough from the school.the land has animals that the children get to pet as well as a garden for them to take care of.its a great school and you should not fear your child attending.it is very safe and a wonderful program

Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 6,595 times
We moved to Largo this past summer to get my daughter into FACE. You have to have an IEP in the state of Florida with an ASD status in order for your child to be eligible to attend. She attended a public school and we were pretty happy with it, especially in comparison with the school she attended in NC were we moved from. She starts next school year and we'll see how it goes. Florida is actually one of the leading states in providing services for autism, you just have to know what it is you want and stay informed. If FACE doesn't work out, there is Pinnacle Academy in Sarasota which is a McKay Participant and depending on your childs matrix code, the tuition could be covered entirely. There are also support groups like the Autism Foundation of Tampa Bay who hold conferences and get togethers for families. The key to this, no matter where you go is to get involved. There are issues with every school but I can say from experience because my husband is active duty Army and we've now lived in 3 states and had to deal with the schools in Louisiana, Ohio and North Carolina, Florida and particularly Tampa is as good as you're gonna get. Most places here are focused on ABA and setting up private or Charter schools that use this methodology. The good thing about these places is that you get the teachers and therapists working together in one facility. It's not perfect but it's definitely a step in the right direction. The area around FACE is not the greatest but if you do into the suburban areas, you can find decent apartments and houses for a reasonable price. There are also programs and non-profits that will assist families in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay