U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,927 times

Advertisements

I was interested in going to USFSP but am not very familiar with neighborhoods in St. Pete and was wondering from people who lived in the area which apartments/condos are safe and close to campus. Which areas should I avoid at all cost? I was thinking of being in the following area codes since they seemed to be within 5-20 mins from the school: 33701, 33702, 33703. Is being near 4th street okay? Near Gandy blvd perhaps? I'm used to suburban living (the kind of places where you just walk outside in the middle of the night and feel totally fine), so being in the city is a bit new for me. Any info you give would be very appreciated. If I didn't move I'd be a good 50mins or so away from school and didn't want to drive so much back and forth...and don't want to live on campus.

~I'd eventually want to get a roommate, but for now I'd just be on my own, so a place for a young lady to not feel totally paranoid all the time would be good. @__@
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM

114 posts, read 224,918 times
If you can find a place in Kenwood, I'd recommend it. It's a bit further from USFSP (maybe 10min drive), but it's just north of the Grand Central and Downtown neighborhoods. It's zip code 33713. I lived in a studio that rented out for $525 all utilities included and I loved the neighborhood. My girlfriend and I ended up moving in together, and she works closer to Clearwater and I work in Pinellas Park so I moved north to save money, but as soon as we're not broke students, I'd like to move to St. Pete again.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 AM

428 posts, read 1,361,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalPlus View Post
I was interested in going to USFSP but am not very familiar with neighborhoods in St. Pete and was wondering from people who lived in the area which apartments/condos are safe and close to campus. Which areas should I avoid at all cost? I was thinking of being in the following area codes since they seemed to be within 5-20 mins from the school: 33701, 33702, 33703. Is being near 4th street okay? Near Gandy blvd perhaps? I'm used to suburban living (the kind of places where you just walk outside in the middle of the night and feel totally fine), so being in the city is a bit new for me. Any info you give would be very appreciated. If I didn't move I'd be a good 50mins or so away from school and didn't want to drive so much back and forth...and don't want to live on campus.

~I'd eventually want to get a roommate, but for now I'd just be on my own, so a place for a young lady to not feel totally paranoid all the time would be good. @__@

There are a quite a number of new apartment complexes in and around the campus area. The area right there is safe, extending up through downtown.

Downtown north is fine, all the way up to Gandy.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,927 times
@powellmacaque - Kenwood is on the westside, right? I remember hearing somewhere to stay east of the highway, I'm not sure how accurate that was though.....I'm pretty clueless on where is and isn't sketchy to live @w@; Though you seem to have had a good experience, so I will surely look into it! Thank you~

@Angler - Yeah, from what I've seen the north seems good, didn't think there were a bunch of new complexes though since I always vied St Pete to be an old city.

*houses are not out of the question, btw, as long as they are in a nice area.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 850,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalPlus View Post
@powellmacaque - Kenwood is on the westside, right? I remember hearing somewhere to stay east of the highway, I'm not sure how accurate that was though.....I'm pretty clueless on where is and isn't sketchy to live @w@; Though you seem to have had a good experience, so I will surely look into it! Thank you~

@Angler - Yeah, from what I've seen the north seems good, didn't think there were a bunch of new complexes though since I always vied St Pete to be an old city.

*houses are not out of the question, btw, as long as they are in a nice area.
Aim for downtown, just north of USFSP. You can walk to class, the bay, parks, restaurants, nightlife, festivals, etc. You want to be on or north of 5th Ave S and on or east of 4th St.

Heading anywhere north is fine, except that Uptown is a little sketchy. I'd recommend looking in the Old Northeast near the Old Northeast Tavern (2nd St N at 7th Ave N) or North Shore Park (12th Ave NE at N Shore Dr). Crescent Lake would also be fine (it's still walkable/bike-able to downtown). A lot of the Old NE/Crescent Lake rentals will be for rent by owner places, small apartment buildings, small duplexes, over-garage apartments, etc. Houses for rent, too.

All the way up in the Gateway area (north of Gandy) would also be OK, but then you've got about 20 minutes to campus (at rush hour). The nice thing about the Gateway area is that you're only about 20 mins to South Tampa, so for folks trying to decide between sides of the bay, it's a great starting spot. But since you're going to USFSP, that decision is pretty much already made.

If you head west of 4th St, stay on or north of Central. Kenwood is OK. It's poorer than the Old NE or Crescent Lake. But it's not a bad place. And it's walking distance to the Grand Central district on Central Ave, which has some restaurants and bars, as well as to the Trop (if you're a baseball fan). Grand Central isn't as nice as Downtown. Large gay population in Grand Central/Kenwood, if that matters to you.

FYI good neighborhood maps on zillow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or