Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,221,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Only white on black is racism. Just ask them.
yep..

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,959,255 times
Quote:
Only white on black is racism. Just ask them.
First of all, who is them?. I am sure it goes both ways, I would say this, just because some dude in south st pete called you a "name" doesn't make you Rosa Parks. I was just stating that in that specific case I didnt think it was race driven, one of my high school friends owns a building in a part of Brooklyn that's gentrifying, throughout the years he would tell me the lengths he would go not to rent to white people, not because he was racist because he was/is a slumlord, he got sued a couple of times, people would pay for repairs and duct it out of the rent money, he would rather deal with section 8 inspectors or immigrants.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrobium View Post
Just wondering, not that it changes much. I am moving from one of the most segregated areas in the country to Tampa, which to me appears less segregated.
I am curious about this one. What do you think?
A clearer definition of what segregation you are referring to, Are we right in assuming you are referring to the separation of black people and white people? if so like most American cities the black people have their side of town and the whites have theirs Tampa is no different..

Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 AM

35,358 posts, read 20,722,137 times
only 3... but hatred comes in many colors shapes and sizes- we cannot- just get along- BUT the fed laws are against this type of bias when it comes to housing/ school/ jobs etc. but it does happen. I am saddened by any type of bias, as in the end we all have to go into the same dirt, and I believe our souls have to meet the SAME Maker and give account. Many do not think that way,, so they can't get along!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:12 PM

792 posts, read 2,282,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
economics drive segregation. .
I would disagree with that. Just look at school children. They self segregate for the most part, because they are more comfortable hanging out with people who act like themselves and share the same cultural type background. It's just easier for them to relate to each other.

It's not an evil thing, it's just the way people are.

I notice it at my work all the time. We all get along perfectly fine, but for the most part, people tend to stick to their own race.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
I would disagree with that. Just look at school children. They self segregate for the most part, because they are more comfortable hanging out with people who act like themselves and share the same cultural type background. It's just easier for them to relate to each other.

It's not an evil thing, it's just the way people are.

I notice it at my work all the time. We all get along perfectly fine, but for the most part, people tend to stick to their own race.
That's true for social interactions, not for where you choose to live, people of all colors want a safe place with good schools and so forth.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,283,298 times
Quote:
That's true for social interactions, not for where you choose to live, people of all colors want a safe place with good schools and so forth.
Obviously not true. Or no one would live East of Florida Ave...

A large percentage of a certain demographic or two really do not care about where they live or the quality of education of their kids.

If you cant read between the lines: look at the school ratings "East of Florida Ave"

Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 PM

149 posts, read 196,267 times
Quote:
In terms of where you choose to live, people dont self segregate.
I can assure you this isn't true. I spent many years in the northeast and people intentionally self segregate. The area is a gateway into the U.S. from other countries. When people migrate to the U.S. they often times move to locations with high populations of their own. This is how the areas ended up with Italian, Irish, Polish, black, etc sections of the city. They opted to keep to their own. When moving to a new and unfamiliar place it's often comforting to be around things you are familiar with. Having like kind people around in a strange land is very important to many people. It just grows from there.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,126,405 times
Quote:
Very true, just look at the Highpoint area of Largo, it used to be exclusively white and now it's very integrated....same with many black folks all over the better St. Petersburg neighborhoods, they got tired of the bullets flying and drugs of the southside, so they move for a better life.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Obviously not true. Or no one would live East of Florida Ave...

A large percentage of a certain demographic or two really do not care about where they live or the quality of education of their kids.

If you cant read between the lines: look at the school ratings "East of Florida Ave"
You are saying there isn't a single hard working family east of Florida Ave? I dont know if you ever lived in a bad area, but the great majority of residents are good people trying to survive, when you live paycheck to paycheck with a razor thin margin when something as inconsequential for most people as a car repair, a sick child, a school closing can set off a chain event that leaves you in the street, then you cant see past today, you cant say for the same money move to brandon, just quit your job find another one. Some of those families are just stuck there and as crappy as a support system they may have, is what they got. Sure there is also a lot of people with bad habits, its unfortunate that those people care for children, its more unfortunate that those children bear the brunt of the consequences for their parent's actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay