Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 06:32 PM

146 posts, read 238,137 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, not that it changes much. I am moving from one of the most segregated areas in the country to Tampa, which to me appears less segregated.
I am curious about this one. What do you think?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
No, there's plenty of racists around here

Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
As it applies to the Bay Area, I see far less segregration than I did as a kid. Communities that were overwhelmingly white are more integrated now.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Nobody will say it, especially the media, but racism is a two way street.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrobium View Post
Just wondering, not that it changes much. I am moving from one of the most segregated areas in the country to Tampa, which to me appears less segregated.
I am curious about this one. What do you think?
Tampa is very segregated, as are all big cities.

You will see when you get here.

I grew up in a part of the country that had virtually no minorities at all. Most everything I learned about racial relations, I learned growing up on the TV. I always assumed that all these people were kind, gentle, sweet and weren't racist at all.

I had to move to a much more culturally diverse area after I grew up to understand that everything I had thought growing up was a lie. There are racists everywhere, of every color and hate is hate and sometimes it is directed at you for no reason, even if your white.

The end result of all this is that people tend to naturally self segregate, I think mostly cause it's just more comfortable for them socially. And there's nothing wrong with it either IMO.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_segregation

& BTW...For your information "racism" doesn't apply ONLY between blacks and whites...we are white, and back in 2007 when we were looking for properties to rent an ASIAN landlord made a very racist comment towards us. He told the RE that "he expected Asians to be brought to see the house and not whites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Very true:
Quote:
The end result of all this is that people tend to naturally self segregate, I think mostly cause it's just more comfortable for them socially. And there's nothing wrong with it either IMO.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Racial segregation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

& BTW...For your information "racism" doesn't apply ONLY between blacks and whites...we are white, and back in 2007 when we were looking for properties to rent an ASIAN landlord made a very racist comment towards us. He told the RE that "he expected Asians to be brought to see the house and not whites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Very true:
What you are describing is discrimination not racism, the asian landlord didnt think you possessed a trait inherent to your race that made you an unworthy tenant, i.e. black people steal, more likely, and I am speculating of course, it was a predatory thing, he rather tenants less likely to know their rights, culturally speaking submissive to authority. This is not say that you shouldn't have felt outraged.

In terms of where you choose to live, people dont self segregate, for the most part people want the same things, I am hispanic I have no interest in living in T&C, if you knocked on a random door in T&C and asked them to switch with a westchase household for the same rent they are paying they would, economics drive segregation. If its a choice between to lower income areas that cost the same then yes, If all i can afford is West Tampa, I would move west of Habana not East, but I would rather not have to make that choice.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 AM

Discrimination based on race as we were not ASIANS, and Asians are a RACE too.

There is NO defending this, or call it discrimination rather than flat out racist. Their comment directly stated "we were white"/Caucasians to clarify what kind of white!

Also, on an average, how many white ppl do you know that are not submissive to authority?
Quote:
he rather tenants less likely to know their rights, culturally speaking submissive to authority
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
What you are describing is discrimination not racism, the asian landlord didnt think you possessed a trait inherent to your race that made you an unworthy tenant, i.e. black people steal, more likely, and I am speculating of course, it was a predatory thing, he rather tenants less likely to know their rights, culturally speaking submissive to authority. This is not say that you shouldn't have felt outraged.

In terms of where you choose to live, people dont self segregate, for the most part people want the same things, I am hispanic I have no interest in living in T&C, if you knocked on a random door in T&C and asked them to switch with a westchase household for the same rent they are paying they would, economics drive segregation. If its a choice between to lower income areas that cost the same then yes, If all i can afford is West Tampa, I would move west of Habana not East, but I would rather not have to make that choice.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Only white on black is racism. Just ask them.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:13 AM

That's pathetic. There are a lot more races than just black and white!
DUH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Only white on black is racism. Just ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay