Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times

Advertisements

The high temperature today in Charlotte is 84.

The high temperature today in Tampa is 92.

That is the one major explanation neeeded for why Charlotte streets are full of people, and Tampa streets are not. But of course the idiotic Tampa Bay Times couldn't deduct that on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
I think people are confusing "Tampa bashing" and "RNC bashing". The vast majority of negativity is aimed at the RNC... not Tampa. "What happened in Tampa..." does not necessarily refer to the city.

...and it isn't exactly your fault that Isaac disrupted the RNC quite a bit. That probably led to less incidents and a worse overall environment as well.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 AM

420 posts, read 864,256 times
Did you guys read that Charlotte-Fest is coinciding with the DNC? That's likely the largest reason why the DNC started off with a larger presence. I'm guessing that it'd be if Tampa had the RNC during Gasparilla.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I don't think it's fair for the Times to write (or people to say) that Tampa was a "desolate" city in comparison to Charlotte. The climate in Tampa is not acceptable for open-air activities in August. Come back in November and see the festivals, fairs, etc. beginning, while Charlotte freezes in gray skies.

I have no problem with the fences and 3 zillion law enforcement types and lockdown mode at the RNC.
A lot of our RNC guest did have a problem with the Ft. Knox atmosphere.
We had 2 arrests.

Zero problems.

Success.

In addition, I would like to invite all those who can't find what's good about Tampa to please consider moving. There are many cities that are better than Tampa, so PLEASE MOVE TO ONE OF THEM. Leave Tampa to those of us who love it and are not interested in acting like pretentious blowhards who only like to complain that the grass is always greener elsewhere. Thank you.
How does wanting the city you live in to improve make someone a "pretentious blowhard"? Maybe it's this apethetic, love it or leave it attitude that turns off businesses from relocating here. You can blame the weather, the media, or whatever, but there is always some truth to the Tampa bashing.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
Did you guys read that Charlotte-Fest is coinciding with the DNC? That's likely the largest reason why the DNC started off with a larger presence. I'm guessing that it'd be if Tampa had the RNC during Gasparilla.
That's pretty important information. Besides, the events at the RNC were pretty much by ticket only. Not sure how the people of Tampa were supposed to participate.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
That's pretty important information. Besides, the events at the RNC were pretty much by ticket only. Not sure how the people of Tampa were supposed to participate.
I agree. It's really not a fair comparison at all.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 PM

83 posts, read 141,416 times
Really digging the excuses for why the media showed absolutely no love for Tampa. Maybe because objectively it is not as nice as other cities? Maybe Because it has big issues that many on the board choose to ignore? Thats ok, it's not Tampas fault- we'll just blame the RNC.

Oh, and I would have LOVED to see the RNC coincide with Gasparilla. That would have given the media a much more accurate picture of this place. I'm sure there would be nothing for them to make fun of then...

Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM

71 posts, read 131,976 times
Quote:
In addition, I would like to invite all those who can't find what's good about Tampa to please consider moving. There are many cities that are better than Tampa, so PLEASE MOVE TO ONE OF THEM. Leave Tampa to those of us who love it and are not interested in acting like pretentious blowhards who only like to complain that the grass is always greener elsewhere. Thank you.
It's exactly this sort of 'love it or leave it' attitude that ensure that things stay crappy.

I do like plenty of things about this city, but many others not so much. I actually wish more of the people who complain would stay. It would suggest that they care.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
In no way shape or form did I ever say that Tampa doesn't have flaws. But Tampa does have a lot of people who love to ***** but do nothing. If you hate it, leave. It you hate it but would like to change it, do something.

The bashing of Tampa was as expected as hot and humid weather in August. Tampa is not Austin or San Diego or Asheville, cities the media love to gush over.

I really do think, however, that it was all about timing. Put the RNC in November or January or March and the media would have been stepping all over each other going ga-ga over Tampa. The comparisons to the Green Zone in Iraq or war zones in Afghanistan would instead have been articles on the "warm sunshine", "rainbows over the Hillsborough", and "lots of buzz" in Tampa.

It's all about the weather, folks. Especially for media types, who mostly live in temperate areas and are used to flying off to warm locales in winter and cool locales in summer. Even 90 degrees in New York never feels like 90 brutal degrees in Tampa. The big media types don't tolerate extreme weather very well. They get cranky. Very cranky. And it shows up in ther coverage.

Tampa in August? It never had a chance.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
The high temperature today in Charlotte is 84.

The high temperature today in Tampa is 92.

That is the one major explanation neeeded for why Charlotte streets are full of people, and Tampa streets are not. But of course the idiotic Tampa Bay Times couldn't deduct that on their own.

That's only eight degrees difference - would that really affect outdoor activity that much ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay