Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:43 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times

Advertisements

Tampa explores jobs-for-visas idea to lure foreign investors - Tampa Bay Times

Why? are all US investors only interested in Politics or Wall Street?

I mean...seriously?

10? That's IT? WOW......
Quote:
Under it, a foreigner earns a temporary visa by investing $1 million into a project that will create at least 10 jobs, or $500,000 for 10 jobs in high-unemployment areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
ugh

Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 AM

451 posts, read 933,590 times
I don't understand the complaint about the number. Even if the inbound employer is only paying $10/hour for a 40 hour work week for 10 employees, that's $208,000 spent that isn't currently being spent-- in a near-minimum case scenario in the lowest unemployment areas. Is that worth giving one immigrant a visa?

Dude, of ****ing course it is.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 AM

Can you own a home at $10 an hour? or feed a family of two, three?

We lack good jobs that remunerate the employees to where they have some buying power to boots this economy...low end jobs, the lack of entry level jobs, are not going to boost the economy.

The people who are unemployed don't live home with their parents, but may be parents themselves...that is what is not being taking into account here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
I don't understand the complaint about the number. Even if the inbound employer is only paying $10/hour for a 40 hour work week for 10 employees, that's $208,000 spent that isn't currently being spent-- in a near-minimum case scenario in the lowest unemployment areas. Is that worth giving one immigrant a visa?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:06 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
The program has been around for years and it is a federal project. Tampa wants to be a regional center for the program which would be very good for the area. This also brings immigrants with money to the U.S. rather than immigrants that immediately go on public assistance.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:11 AM

As long as they bring some quality jobs I am fine with it....but if they bring more bars and clubs that pay people minimum wage, well, we already have enough of that. It is truly disappointing that no US based Investors want to move here though, and bring jobs to the area! What does THAT tell you?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Can you own a home at $10 an hour? or feed a family of two, three?

We lack good jobs that remunerate the employees to where they have some buying power to boots this economy...low end jobs, the lack of entry level jobs, are not going to boost the economy.

The people who are unemployed don't live home with their parents, but may be parents themselves...that is what is not being taking into account here.
The program has the potential to bring $10 Billion a year in investment to the U.S., the program also requires the jobs to still be there after 2 years for them to get their green card.
So we have investors bringing money and jobs to the area yet some see this as a bad thing?
I saw no where in the article where it mentions how much the jobs would pay.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The program has been around for years and it is a federal project. Tampa wants to be a regional center for the program which would be very good for the area. This also brings immigrants with money to the U.S. rather than immigrants that immediately go on public assistance.
Immigrants can't go into public assistance, or rather people with just temporary visas, there is no mention of giving investors permanent residency just work visas, can not see how anyone can possibly oppose this

Old 09-07-2012, 05:45 AM

315 posts, read 652,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
It is truly disappointing that no US based Investors want to move here though, and bring jobs to the area! What does THAT tell you?
When I think financial or commerce center, Tampa usually doesn't come to mind. When I think maid or lawnmower services, Tampa is tops.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Well, THAT is what needs to CHANGE!

I mean that seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
When I think financial or commerce center, Tampa usually doesn't come to mind. When I think maid or lawnmower services, Tampa is tops.
That's true; people on work visa's cannot work for the Gov.
Here's more info on that:
http://www.usa.gov/visitors/work.shtml

The Gov's part is just to give those visa's, but these "investors" would have to open their own business here, and hire locals, and being on that visa makes them legal to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay