Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,760 times

Advertisements

I'm going to have to disagree with the common wisdom on this one. I did this "reverse commute" for a few years between St Pete and an office near TPA.

The morning commute is fast -- really fast. I referred to the morning rush as the "Hillbilly 500". You can drive 75-80 and contractor pickup trucks and vans will pass you like you are standing still. I was able to go from St Pete to the airport in 15-20 minutes most days. Rarely does the eastbound side of the Howard Frankland jam up like it does in the afternoon rush hour.

The problem in the afternoon is just getting to the highway, and I don't know your exact address. In the afternoons, your logjam is the Veterans/275 interchange (if you are going that way), which can back up pretty bad. Once you get on 275, it is smooth (70+ mph sailing) the whole way. I rarely had more than a 30 minute commute. An hour? Maybe on a mobility scooter.

Egypt Lake to Gandy via Dale Mabry will take nearly as much time as to St Pete. There are over two dozen lights between the two and the traffic can gridlock at rush hour.

Note: if you are thinking about Carillon or Gateway instead of downtown St Pete, subtract 10 minutes from all calculations. Carillon/Gateway to TPA in the morning is easily under a 10 minute trip, even less than South Tampa or downtown Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 PM

55 posts, read 150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with the common wisdom on this one. I did this "reverse commute" for a few years between St Pete and an office near TPA.

The morning commute is fast -- really fast. I referred to the morning rush as the "Hillbilly 500". You can drive 75-80 and contractor pickup trucks and vans will pass you like you are standing still. I was able to go from St Pete to the airport in 15-20 minutes most days. Rarely does the eastbound side of the Howard Frankland jam up like it does in the afternoon rush hour.

The problem in the afternoon is just getting to the highway, and I don't know your exact address. In the afternoons, your logjam is the Veterans/275 interchange (if you are going that way), which can back up pretty bad. Once you get on 275, it is smooth (70+ mph sailing) the whole way. I rarely had more than a 30 minute commute. An hour? Maybe on a mobility scooter.

Egypt Lake to Gandy via Dale Mabry will take nearly as much time as to St Pete. There are over two dozen lights between the two and the traffic can gridlock at rush hour.

Note: if you are thinking about Carillon or Gateway instead of downtown St Pete, subtract 10 minutes from all calculations. Carillon/Gateway to TPA in the morning is easily under a 10 minute trip, even less than South Tampa or downtown Tampa.
Thanks Chi_Tino. I was thinking Hyde Park or Westshore, and leaning closer to Westshore. Two dozen traffic lights during rush hour sounds like a hell of a lot of frustration. My office was in Harbour Island, which was a much better location from what I understand. It was just relocated due to growth. Ugh. I don't have any urge to live anywhere near Egypt Lakes- I'm a single guy looking for a social area, and from what I understand, that isn't anywhere near EL.

Do you think the traffic from Westshore to Egypt Lakes is better than St Pete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: