Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:24 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times

Advertisements

I personally would never buy a computer from staples or comp usa, etc.

If you want a computer, I definitely would stay with newegg though. They have much better deals then you could find in person... but if you had to buy in person, i'd say best buy.

But, depending on what you are looking to do with it, if its a general use, like laptop or like, I really recommend acer or asus brands. They hold up pretty well over time. I've been using my acer laptop as a personal and business laptop for 3 years now, with 10+ hours daily use (and i *rarely* turn it off) and its still holding up pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM

143 posts, read 241,389 times
I don't buy fully built computers, always build my own. Usually I have half the parts laying around from upgrades and find a use for another PC so I'm already half way there. Currently have 5 PC's for the house (and yes each one is required and has a function) with a 6th to come online in a few weeks but that PC is going to end up in my car. It's a little over kill but should be a fun project with some new hardware and software hurdles to overcome. I like to tinker with hardware which is why I was hoping for a few good computer stores in the area without having to wait for everything to be shipped to me. Might save me some money in the long run as it removes the impulse buy possibility.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:44 PM

I gave up building my own computers ages ago Not really so much out of laziness, but simply because most of the prebuilt stuff now is coming with stuff I would have used anyway. I'm now only laptop, only because I find it much easier to just pick it up and put it down and I dont have to designate a whole space just for my PC and monitor and a place to sit at... my laptop sits on my living room table and it really doesnt move much, but it takes up a small enough space. Its also powerful enough for me to play my MMO, granted, I cant play at max graphics, but it does well enough, and this computer is over 3 years old (I forgot that when I got it 3 years ago, i believe my father already had it for a year when he gave it to me).

Old 09-08-2012, 11:06 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I gave up building my own computers ages ago Not really so much out of laziness, but simply because most of the prebuilt stuff now is coming with stuff I would have used anyway. I'm now only laptop, only because I find it much easier to just pick it up and put it down and I dont have to designate a whole space just for my PC and monitor and a place to sit at... my laptop sits on my living room table and it really doesnt move much, but it takes up a small enough space. Its also powerful enough for me to play my MMO, granted, I cant play at max graphics, but it does well enough, and this computer is over 3 years old (I forgot that when I got it 3 years ago, i believe my father already had it for a year when he gave it to me).
Building computers became pointless back circa like 2002 or so. It's all chinese crap now, all the same components made by like 2 or 3 companies and "fast enough".

If this guy wants to waste his time and money, let him. The joke's on him

Old 09-08-2012, 11:16 PM

@ rezfreak, I agree with you. I typically suggest getting a lappy when someone asks me what to buy. Lots of power for most users and if you have a need that a typical laptop can't handle chances are they know what they need hardware wise any way.

My main machine has a 26" display flanked by a 21" on either side making for a desktop that is nearly 5 ft. wide. makes for an awesome spot to do my CAD work. It's also heavily overclocked and liquid cooled so you really cant hear it right beside you. One machine is a NAS for the house and has ~16TB of media. Two are HTPC's, one in the family room and one in the 'man cave'. My HTPC is zero moving parts, no fans no drives, nothing. And I have (had) a computer in the garage to display and edit my CAD drawings when I go to build what I designed and look up random stuff. Beats running up and down the stairs dozens of times. It will also play movies and music to fill in the quiet times. And the last PC will be going in my car, controlled off a 7" touch screen. It will handle media, GPS nav., dash cam recording, and a few other tasks. Like I said probably overkill but I like the challenge of piecing it all together and make it work, plus I'm stuck in a townhouse for the next few months at least so I need something to work on to preserve my sanity! Forgot to add that my HTPC also has calibrated test equipment associated with it. I design and build speakers and this PC is my main testing point.

My point to all this is I really don't think any 'commercial' offering can fit my needs for any of my PC's. So I understand why it's prudent for most users to buy what ever is at best buy, it's really not going to work for me.

Last edited by Ryan_M; 09-08-2012 at 11:51 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Building computers became pointless back circa like 2002 or so. It's all chinese crap now, all the same components made by like 2 or 3 companies and "fast enough".

If this guy wants to waste his time and money, let him. The joke's on him
Again, thanks for making me smile!!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_M View Post
@ rezfreak, I agree with you. I typically suggest getting a lappy when someone asks me what to buy. Lots of power for most users and if you have a need that a typical laptop can't handle chances are they know what they need hardware wise any way.

My main machine has a 26" display flanked by a 21" on either side making for a desktop that is nearly 5 ft. wide. makes for an awesome spot to do my CAD work. It's also heavily overclocked and liquid cooled so you really cant hear it right beside you. One machine is a NAS for the house and has ~16TB of media. Two are HTPC's, one in the family room and one in the 'man cave'. My HTPC is zero moving parts, no fans no drives, nothing. And I have (had) a computer in the garage to display and edit my CAD drawings when I go to build what I designed and look up random stuff. Beats running up and down the stairs dozens of times. It will also play movies and music to fill in the quiet times. And the last PC will be going in my car, controlled off a 7" touch screen. It will handle media, GPS nav., dash cam recording, and a few other tasks. Like I said probably overkill but I like the challenge of piecing it all together and make it work, plus I'm stuck in a townhouse for the next few months at least so I need something to work on to preserve my sanity! Forgot to add that my HTPC also has calibrated test equipment associated with it. I design and build speakers and this PC is my main testing point.

My point to all this is I really don't think any 'commercial' offering can fit my needs for any of my PC's. So I understand why it's prudent for most users to buy what ever is at best buy, it's really not going to work for me.
I had a friend who is working on this massive "undertaking" by building his own multi-media style computer/display. He has thousands of DVDs, so he's putting his DVDs on his computer, then uploading the movie cover and making it a touch screen so his kids can go up, push a button, and watch a movie on the tv without getting dvds scratched or finger printed up I thought that was pretty awesome.

(just ignore crazynip, i'm pretty sure they're only here to crap on people's threads)

Old 09-09-2012, 12:27 AM

Yes it's usually a big undertaking when getting started ripping all the media to HDD. I'm curious about him using a touch screen to control it. If you think of it do you mind asking him what software he's using? I've thought about using a secondary monitor on my HTPC so I could turn off the big TV when listening to music. The big TV is too noisy, it buzzes - I know it sounds dumb but it makes a difference when trying to hear all the little details in the music. Having touch screen to do music would be gravy!! When I get my touchscreen in for my car I might have to hook it up to the HTPC to see what I can make it do. Thanks for the idea!

Haha I like crazynips's comments - sort of a comedic interlude. No way somebody can embarrass himself like that and not be trying to be funny. It breaks up the seriousness and gives me a chuckle, nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:48 AM

Sadly I dont keep in contact with that friend anymore and I dont know of any way to reach them Sorry If i remember correctly it was linux based though.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:01 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
You definitely want to go with Newegg. Even the long established small computer stores are useless because they have no inventory, and when they say they can order it for you, guess where they order it from? Newegg. May as well cut out the middle man. Those little local stores have become almost entirely devoted to service (read: virus and spyware removal) as they can't compete on parts and hardly anyone buys new builds from them anymore since people would rather buy some silly brand name full of pre-installed bloatware and propietary connectors instead. Building your own is not pointless, especially if you want or need a particular videocard. Typical off the shelf models don't have the proper connectors on the MB, and their power supplies are generally underpowered and again don't have the proper connectors.

I recently went into CompUSA trying to buy a peripheral, they of course did not have it in stock because half the store is devoted to TVs. Wound up ordering it from the internet of course. I should have done that right from the start and saved myself the gas, time, and hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay