Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

Sav-a-lot. Every one i've ever been too was kinda nasty and the prices weren't that good either.
Unfortunately, I have a Sav-a-lot in the area and I stop in once-in-awhile. Prices are cheaper than any other grocery store around, imo. But you're right - unkept. I can't understand how hard it is to keep a store in a halfway decent condition - guess staffing is poor, allowing them to charge less. Sometimes I wonder if they have shortcuts in cold food storage (leaving refrigerated out). I'm sure they have their share of rodents like Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 AM

720 posts, read 705,543 times
We have a family of four and shop at Aldi's for the majority of our groceries. There are items Aldi's does not carry that we have to go to other places like Kroger or Myers for. We try never to shop at Wal mart for anything, especially food.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Costco is better than Sam's. Costco's packs are larger and I like their store brand on things.

With that many mouth's to feed you need to look into ALDI. You'll save a ton, but it's all their won brands. I think their food is good. ALDI also has a great price on milk.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM

877 posts, read 1,912,781 times
Aldis is great for milk, cereal and produce. I just went there yesterday as a matter of fact. We've never been overly impressed with their meat however.

I like to bargain shop and I tend to mainly shop at Aldi, SuperTarget and then Publix for the B1G1 deals or other sales. Our Publix will also take Target and Sweetbay coupons as competitor's coupons. So if I have a save $10 when you spend $50 Sweetbay coupon and then a manufacturer coupon for $1 off cereal and a Target coupon for a $1 off the same cereal I can use all three coupons.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Agreed, the Meat at Aldi isn't too great. They have great prices on their ground turkey though. We typically get out meat at Sam's Club. Aldi's produce is hit or miss IMO.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Agreed, the Meat at Aldi isn't too great. They have great prices on their ground turkey though. We typically get out meat at Sam's Club. Aldi's produce is hit or miss IMO.
I agree about the meat. However, the bacon is top quality and far cheaper than anywhere else. I've gotten some decent packaged deli meat there as well. The ALDI where I shop is a fairly new store, and the produce there has always been fresh and good quality. They also source locally wherever possible. Like Stewabby I shop ALDI first, SuperTarget second and Publix for everything else.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM

37 posts, read 65,339 times
Thank you so much for the feedback.
We now have a better idea of What is around and where. I didnt know an aldi was close? I'll have to google it, that seems like our best bet!!!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Ps. No offense taken, just hoping to cut back a little, heck if we save 30 bucks a week I would be pleased.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:40 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Buy all my meat at sweetbay- great sales-never ever had a problem with th sale meats-frozen fish, etc wally world and Ali or wally world for can n box stuff. My daughter in law started couponing and Publix was the way to go with all those coupons!!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Avoid Publix at all co$t - unless you selectively shop them. They are masters of the loss leader approach to grocery retailing, and once they suck you in, what you thought you were saving will rapidly vaporize and end up costing you more.

Case in point - I like to see their loss leading sales, then walk by an end cap with boxes of CheezIt crackers that sell for $2.59 just about everywhere else - only they are close to $4.00 at Publix!

Nice stores, lots of employees, but you pay for it - dearly!

RM

Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM

33 posts, read 43,001 times
i buy most of food at walmart and somethings at sweetbay and all my meat at Quality Meat Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay