Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM

48 posts, read 130,781 times

Advertisements

The sunbelt region seems like an odd place to have a hockey team to many outsiders. However, I went to a Lightning game this past March when I was in Tampa, and they seemed pretty popular in the area. And despite being only 20 years old, they already have a Stanley Cup championship. How popular are the Bolts among the Tampa residents? And where does Steven Stamkos rank in terms of popularity among pro athletes in Tampa?

In case you were wondering, yes, I am a Lightning fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
The Bolts have done well since Jeff Vinik took over ownership. He's renovated the Tampa Bay Times Forum and has really done well taking care of season ticket holders with perks. I think they have the best attendance for the three major sports franchises in the area. The Bolts benefit from a lot of the snowbirders here from Canada and the other northern cities - seems like there are a lot of opponent fans in the arena for every game, so that helps the attendance in the long run. The team, although doing well with its attendance, is probably third in popularity behind the Rays and Bucs. The Rays don't have great attendance, but have a large TV viewing audience and seems to be the talk of the town more so than the Bolts. Stamkos isn't the top sports guy in the area and sometimes even takes a back seat to Vinnie and Martin.

Personally, I've tried to like the sport - have gone to a lot of open to the public practices, watched on TV, gone to several games - but I usually leave before the 3rd period out of boredom. I know that's strange, but I never played the sport and can't appreciate it.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:55 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I like the Bolts and would love to take the family to a game this winter. Obviously, moving from Alaska, we like hockey.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM

48 posts, read 130,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
The Bolts have done well since Jeff Vinik took over ownership. He's renovated the Tampa Bay Times Forum and has really done well taking care of season ticket holders with perks. I think they have the best attendance for the three major sports franchises in the area. The Bolts benefit from a lot of the snowbirders here from Canada and the other northern cities - seems like there are a lot of opponent fans in the arena for every game, so that helps the attendance in the long run. The team, although doing well with its attendance, is probably third in popularity behind the Rays and Bucs. The Rays don't have great attendance, but have a large TV viewing audience and seems to be the talk of the town more so than the Bolts. Stamkos isn't the top sports guy in the area and sometimes even takes a back seat to Vinnie and Martin.

Personally, I've tried to like the sport - have gone to a lot of open to the public practices, watched on TV, gone to several games - but I usually leave before the 3rd period out of boredom. I know that's strange, but I never played the sport and can't appreciate it.
Thanks BucFan. Since you say Vinny and Marty are the most popular Bolts players in the area, how are they in terms of popularity compared to the star players on the Bucs and Rays?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:10 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
They seem to have a pretty decent local following but I have to say, many of them are ignorant of the game and its rules. Every game I've been to, they cheer when their team does something (icing the puck out of desperation, committing turnovers in the neutral zone, etc.) that isn't cheerworthy. Half the time the whistle is blown for whatever reason, I hear people around me asking what's going on.

Oh and then there's the moron who tried to jeer me because I root for, quote, "Obama's team" (Capitals). Really, idiot? Really?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotStove View Post
The sunbelt region seems like an odd place to have a hockey team to many outsiders.
Not that strange considering so many people living in Tampa are from either the Upper Midwestern or the Northeast.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,895 times
the game was really interesting .I visit there often to meet my favorite players and we have fun all the time http://www.tampabaynannies.net/image...face-50x50.jpg

Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I went to a Lightning game and it was pretty intense. Great crowd, great atmosphere, great enthusiasm. I'm not a hockey fan myself so I'm basing my experience purely from an entertainment stand point, not quality of the team or play. From what I understand the ownership has really endeared itself to the community. Although they may not be most popular, they certainly have loyal fans. They even play pre-season games here in Orlando which are also fairly popular. I think it really shows how far ownership-town relations go towards the success of a franchise.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotStove View Post
Thanks BucFan. Since you say Vinny and Marty are the most popular Bolts players in the area, how are they in terms of popularity compared to the star players on the Bucs and Rays?
I would say that they (Bolt players) are third behind any of the baseball or football stars. I'd say the Rays (Longoria and Price are the top big sports stars right now. Josh Freeman probably next, but he's low key and doesn't get a lot of notice, especially after last season. Buc players aren't really a favorite right now - but expect that they will very soon (Vince Jackson and Doug Martin). I may be very biased on the subject. Others probably will tell you that the Bolts are higher, but I don't think so.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
The accessibility of the Lightning players is much better than any other franchise. There are multiple opportunities throughout the season to meet the players at many, many charity and promotional events. We're not talking "Bucs Day" where you can show up to get a glimpse of your favorite player from across the field or stand in line for hours to get an autograph. They have hours-long events (like Glitz & Sticks) where you can actually have a drink and chat with the coaches and players for quite a while. Vinny's annual poker night (which just happened) pairs up several players and local celebs with attendees at each table.

If you don't have a jersey with at least 15-20 Lightning autographs, you just aren't trying very hard. Try that with the Bucs or the Rays....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay