U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 11:10 AM

50 posts, read 152,067 times

Advertisements

Its down to crunch time and here are my options. Your input on the area is strongly needed

I am moving down there in a couple of weeks and have 2 options.

Option A: Live in Westchase in a small home but it's in a gated community

Option B: Live in a beautiful spacious home not in a gated community and basically this house is just about a 10 minute walk to the Walter Sickle high school.

I really like Option B but I am so concerned that living close to a high school creates more traffic and the kids could be rowdy. Plus Option B is not a gated community. I have no kids yet.

For Option A, I was told there is a serious traffic issue in Westchase so now I'm a little confused as to which is the better option. I will be working very close to the Tampa airport
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 PM

6,697 posts, read 7,290,729 times
Gated communities are way over-rated...lived in the Eagles and had my portable basketball hoop stolen...tools out of my open garage (during the day) and fines if my son parked his Ford F150 in our own driveway(they have since changed that insane rule)!! I would go for the big beautiful house in Citrus Park...that's a great location!!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,069,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicycouture View Post
Option B: Live in a beautiful spacious home not in a gated community and basically this house is just about a 10 minute walk to the Walter Sickle high school.
Fawn Ridge?

In any event, I recommend Citrus Park. It's one of the few areas of Tampa I love. I just wish we had moved here when we first came to FL.

What hours will you be working? The Veterans can get a little backed up in rush hour but overall it wouldn't be that bad of a commute.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,188,857 times
I had my portable DVD player stolen out of my car parked in my driveway in Cheval! A gated community with security guards by the gates, and rovers patrolling it!

If you don't have any kids, and will work around the airport then hands down Westchase! Why add time to your commute? and why want a big house? do you have time to keep cleaning it? save that for when you have 4 kids! Until then enjoy the coziness! Less time commuting and cleaning allows you to enjoy your life outside work more.

Don't get me wrong, Citrus Park is great...but that will have you stuck at the Waters toll on Veterans every morning...why would you want that if you don't have too yet? have you even visited either of these areas yet?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 AM

50 posts, read 152,067 times
Thank you all so much for the input. Citrus Park was sounding good till I read Algia's post saying the traffic to the airport is much better from Westchase than Citrus Park.

My only issue with Citrus Park was the closeness to the highschool and traffic is another concern. I hate being stuck in traffic. So with traffic into consideration: Is Westchase or Citrus Park better?

Last edited by juicycouture; 09-20-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 AM

Well the traffic is much slower when the school comes in and gets out. That's anywhere though....
I just didn't see a reason to increase your commute if you didn't have to.

They are the same pretty much, they are suburbs, so they both have subdivisions and not a lot of architectural interest. They both have strip malls, and chain stores and restaurants. So they are not all that different.

Both also have good schools (for those who need that), so in perspective, it is only the distance/commute to your work that should dictate which to choose.
Westchase is much closer to the better malls in Tampa (International Plaza, and Westshore). On Kennedy Blvd there are some apartments across from Westshore mall that are a very nice too...maybe you should check those out for 6 months first, and drive all over Citrus Park, Westechase, South Tampa etc to get a better idea as to where "YOU" like it better.

Quote:
Thank you all so much for the input. Citrus Park was sounding good till I read your Algia's post saying the traffic to the airport is much better from Westchase than Citrus Park.

My only issue with Citrus Park was the closeness to the highschool and traffic is another concern. I hate being stuck in traffic. So with traffic into consideration: Is Westchase or Citrus Park better?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 AM

5,120 posts, read 3,795,711 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much for the input. Citrus Park was sounding good till I read your Algia's post saying the traffic to the airport is much better from Westchase than Citrus Park.

I might be missing something, but how is westchase that much of a different commute than citrus park to TPA. They are both in the same general area. In fact I often hear people say I live in the Citrus Park/Westchase area.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 AM

They are neighbors...but Westchase is closer...Citrus is North of the TPA, and Westchase is still "north" but West of the Airport:

Of course the last image is from those apartments on Kennedy which is the closest to TPA, therefore the most convenient commute wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I might be missing something, but how is westchase that much of a different commute than citrus park to TPA. They are both in the same general area. In fact I often hear people say I live in the Citrus Park/Westchase area.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,069,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Westchase is much closer to the better malls in Tampa (International Plaza, and Westshore).
Ahem.... Citrus Park mall (or Westfield Shoppingtown... whatever you want to call it) is VERY nice. Not as upscale and 'posh' as International Plaza, but certainly as nice or nicer than Westshore.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 AM

2,727 posts, read 4,622,677 times
Bottom line is the the commute from those places to TIA that the OP looking are very similar. Algia is looking at a flying distance over a map than the actual driving on a road, lol.

Use other criteria to select.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay