Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 836 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! This is my first post in this forum. I've been roaming around for a couple of days now and have read a lot of useful information, so... thanks for that! However, I would like to post about my specific situation so you'll let me know what you guys think and give me some sound advice.

I'm a 27 y/o attorney in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Although I was born in St. Pete, I was raised in Puerto Rico since I was 3 y/o. I have been travelling to Tampa at least once a year since then in order to visit family and friends.

I have had my current job as an associate attorney for 2 years at a law firm, earning approximately 45k a year. I currently live with my boyfriend and don't pay any rent or utilities. I do have a car and student loans to pay. I have been able to save around 16k and a couple of thousands in IRAs. I have been wanting to get a higher paying job in order but the job market for lawyers here is pretty rough. My boyfriend is also a 27 y/o attorney that had a job at a local bank's legal department. However, he lost his job around 4 months ago and has been applying since to other jobs with no luck.

Recently, things in Puerto Rico have become worse. The government just announced a new tax reform that includes a 16% sales and services tax + 15% income tax for those earning more than 40K a year. All of this have made us consider moving to the Tampa Bay area. We have been thinking the best way to make this relocation and we believe the best idea is that my boyfriend moves first and applies for jobs once he's there while I stay in Puerto Rico while receiving a steady income. Once he gets a job, I would then resign and move to Tampa. We expect this process can be completed within 2 months. We are aiming at getting paralegal, legal clerk jobs until we pass the bar which we will take on July 2015. Although, if necessary, we would work in non-legal positions. Would you recommend we start applying to jobs from Puerto Rico?

We will be shipping our cars there since it's not that expensive. However, I expect that getting an apartment will be hard if my boyfriend does not have a job. Can somebody else sign for us? Is there any other alternative?

So, this is our current situation and would appreciate you let me know what you think. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 03:08 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,792,384 times
Yes start applying for jobs their and if you don't find one time before your bf leaves then I guess you could use your savings until you get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: